PDA

View Full Version : Severe germophobia, please help!

Lana
18-01-19, 19:58
I suffer from anxiety, severe OCD and especially germophobia. Sometimes, when I am little relaxed, which is rare, I simply forget: so I just, at work, went to a vending machine, put two dollar bills in it, bought a pack of pretzels, and then: I opened the bag, and with the same hand with which I put the money in, I put a piece of pretzel in my mouth. I froze, and managed to spit it out, but I am freaking out now that certainly some kind of germs stayed in my mouth. I need help from fellow sufferers to stop this horrible scary rumination. I know many people how do it often , every day, and never think of it! Alas, that is not my brain, and at this point, yet another weekend is ruined for me. Please, somebody post a helpful answer:weep:

Lana
18-01-19, 20:08
I suffer from anxiety, severe OCD and especially germophobia. Sometimes, when I am little relaxed, which is rare, I simply forget: so I just, at work, went to a vending machine, put two dollar bills in it, bought a pack of pretzels, and then: I opened the bag, and with the same hand with which I put the money in, I put a piece of pretzel in my mouth. I froze, and managed to spit it out, but I am freaking out now that certainly some kind of germs stayed in my mouth. I need help from fellow sufferers to stop this horrible scary rumination. I know many people how do it often , every day, and never think of it! Alas, that is not my brain, and at this point, yet another weekend is ruined for me. Please, somebody post a helpful answer:weep: I already posted in Phobia sub-forum, but nobody replied:weep:

AMomentofClarity
18-01-19, 20:11
Are you doing anything to treat the underlying anxiety and OCD?

Mindsight
18-01-19, 20:14
Really. I am sure if you took a pretzl rubbed it on the pavement then eaten it you would be fine with no problems its said there is more germs under youre own finger nails than a toilet seat ive never licked a toilet seat but have bitten my nails so i figure you could be mostly fine with bad bathroom habbits also honestly youre fear is really not worth the time and effort you give to it honestly you will be completly fine

Lana
18-01-19, 20:18
I am trying... The doctor recently put me on Lexapro again, so I just started again. I am incredibly tired from being afraid all the fing time, I just cannot take it any longer.

BTW: Shall I get sick from what I posted ? :shrug:

Lana
18-01-19, 20:21
Oh God, thank you so much, this helps sooo much!

Three years ago I had severe intestinal infection, and since then everything is even worse. Thank you again!:yahoo:

nomorepanic
18-01-19, 20:22
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

AMomentofClarity
18-01-19, 20:22
I am trying... The doctor recently put me on Lexapro again, so I just started again. I am incredibly tired from being afraid all the fing time, I just cannot take it any longer.

BTW: Shall I get sick from what I posted ? :shrug:

That’s great! How about therapy?

Re: Your post

You acknowledge other people do that sort of thing all the time. Do they get sick?

Lana
18-01-19, 20:28
I know all that, but mind is so powerful, and sometimes I am just helpless against its lunacy. I am trying, but I have a lot going in my life, unrelated but hard to bear, and I am probably subconsciously turning to all sort of irrational fears to forget about other things. I do not know what to do. You would not believe what I had a panic attack the other day from, cannot even talk about it. I tried exposure therapy for germophobia, but was not able to go through it. Thank you for helpin, really.

AMomentofClarity
18-01-19, 20:32
I know all that, but mind is so powerful, and sometimes I am just helpless against its lunacy. I am trying, but I have a lot going in my life, unrelated but hard to bear, and I am probably subconsciously turning to all sort of irrational fears to forget about other things. I do not know what to do. You would not believe what I had a panic attack the other day from, cannot even talk about it. I tried exposure therapy for germophobia, but was not able to go through it. Thank you for helpin, really.

I understand. Our anxiety comes out in odd ways sometimes. Keep working with your doctor on it and trying to challenge the negative thoughts.

Pkstracy
20-01-19, 09:12
you do realize our whole body has germs on it and everything you touch, breathe in ect, if you disinfect everything and yourself you can actually lower your immune system and make yourself sick. I don't know what you are going through, but yeah just work with your doctor and keep doing therapy.

Lana
24-01-19, 17:40
Thank you. I had Clostridium Difficile intestinal infection from the horrible antibiotic that most doctors in the US do not even prescribe ( some lunatic in a private urgent care gave it to me, after misdiagnosing me to boot). Since then, I am afraid of everything. It is close to unbearable. My normal reasonable brain is fighting with my fears all the time, but most of the time fears are winning.