PDA

View Full Version : Palpitations and Magnesium

Shingi
19-01-19, 21:23
In 2013 I suffered with palpitations (for the first time in my life) of the boom,boom,boom.........BOOM variety for 18 months, sometimes getting hundreds per day. I was 59 years old. I got them checked out by a Consultant, had a 24 hour Holter meter, and an ECG and was told that I had a perfectly normal heart and that the palpitations were benign. They were not easy to live with especially at night but one day they simply stopped. Then last February (2018) they started again but, this time they were boom...boom...boom...boom-boom. I then read an article by various health experts stating what they take for themselves when they are troubled by things particular to their fields of expertise and one of them was a Heart Surgeon who suffers from benign palps. He said he takes 300mgs of Magnesium every day and his palps stopped. So, I thought I would try that but there seemed to be several differing products. In the end I decided on Chelated Magnesium but the one I bought was in the form of 100mg tablets with instructions to take 400mgs per day. However, I take 300mgs per day and I have to say that my palpitations have stopped, thank God! Just thought I would pass this on. Also I came across a series of YouTube videos by Dr. Sanjay Gupta, a Consultant Cardiologist explaining everything you need to know about them. Have a look as they are so reassuring and helped me a lot to understand that what I had was quite normal and harmless.

sammiej123
21-01-19, 12:41
Hi that is really interesting and helpful. I might try taking magnesium myself .. however due to my health anxiety I worry about taking things and what effects they may have on me.. I have a 12 day holter on at present. I get a few days reprieve and then it was back again yesterday missed beats on and off all day..

panicface
21-01-19, 23:02
I think it's psychological / placebo unfortunately... Back in the day I had ectopics and I took 400mg of 'the wonder drug' magneisum and they too stopped... for awhile. then i started taking 400mg in morning and night (on bad days) and they stopped again. Now they just come regardless of if I take 1 or two pills a day...

But when I first took mag and it seemed to work - I shouted about it to the high heavens - i thought it must be a wonder drug.

More important (for me) is to keep sugar out of my diet.

Shingi
22-01-19, 10:13
Hi that is really interesting and helpful. I might try taking magnesium myself .. however due to my health anxiety I worry about taking things and what effects they may have on me.. I have a 12 day holter on at present. I get a few days reprieve and then it was back again yesterday missed beats on and off all day..

I have to say I found the missed beats harder to deal with then the double beats.
So far so good for me though on the magnesium so do give it a try. It's not a drug as such and, like yourself I absolutely hate taking prescribed medicines and have to force myself. With this current bout of palpitations, which didn't freak me out in the way the first lot did (and I didn't go to the GP about them)I found that the more you thought about them, which wasn't hard, the more they persisted and that when I found myself distracted and my mind returned to the palps they hadn't seemed to bad so perhaps some of it is in the mind. I hope all works out for you.