PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding doctors and health checks

Reddog
19-01-19, 22:37
I went through a terrible times years ago with health anxiety. I would google every little ache and pain and then visits doctors endlessly. My problem now is fear and avoidance of doctors and tests. I haven’t had a proper health check in several years. I made an appointment last week but now I’m terrified of going and what may be found. I have no symptoms but I have in my mind I am going to be punished for putting off screenings. Why would this anxiety come back so suddenly?

ErinKC
20-01-19, 03:13
Clearly the doctor's appointment is a trigger for you. That's really common. I always get more anxious when I have an appointment coming up. And, if I have a legitimate reason to go to the doctor and no anxiety at the moment, often my anxiety will surge after that appointment. There's just something about going to the doctor that totally triggers me.

It doesn't sound like you have any reason to be worried. You're just having a lot of anticipatory anxiety about the visit that's starting to remind you of your past health anxiety and bring it back up.

bin tenn
20-01-19, 04:00
Yeah, just go. You'll hopefully feel much better when it's all said and done, once you realize you're healthy. Prior to 2015, I hadn't had a physical or other routine doc visit in over a decade. I was sure there were multiple things wrong. But nothing was, aside from two minor things that were resolved (mildly elevated BP and somewhat "off" cholesterol numbers).

I get anxiety about my routine appointments, and even more so before an annual physical. Even when I'm feeling very well and making positive lifestyle changes. I take three prescription medications, so I go every 3-6mos for refills. Even at one of those appointments, where it's nothing more than typical vitals and short discussion with the doc, I get nervous. I'll feel fine in the waiting room - quite relaxed. As soon as the nurse opens the door and calls my name, my heart begins to race and I feel very anxious. :P

Reddog
20-01-19, 15:22
Thank you both for responding,
Yes these appointments have brought up past health anxiety. Years ago it started with a misdiagnosis, which turned out to not be serious, but left me with a general distrust for medical professionals. And yes I just need to go. Once it’s over I think establishing a new normal health check routine would be best for me in the long run.