PDA

View Full Version : Brain zaps, jolting awake, headache.

BazB44
20-01-19, 19:01
A few weeks back I started to get these weird things where I would be laying in bed, drift off to sleep, and I would suddenly hear a loud bang or scream and it would jolt me awake.

I didn't think much of it. I also had headaches weeks ago, right after a bout with a cold virus.

But today I was sitting in the parking lot relaxed, and suddenly got a brain zap....like a jolt or rush in my head. Then came a slight headache, pops or crackling, or if I turn my head it all feels stiff.

I've always had tension in my neck and shoulders so Im wondering if this has anything to do with it. I don't take any medications.

I read up on brain zaps, seems to be a normal anxiety thing. But im wondering if anyone else gets the headaches, stiffness or crackling with it?

RadioGaGa
20-01-19, 19:35
The loud bang as you're drifting off to sleep is known as Exploding Head syndrome (lol). It's nothing to worry about. I've had it.

Also had brain zaps. I'm a headache-prone person.

Just your anxiety playing up here!

Good luck

MyNameIsTerry
21-01-19, 00:01
The loud bang as you're drifting off to sleep is known as Exploding Head syndrome (lol). It's nothing to worry about. I've had it.

Also had brain zaps. I'm a headache-prone person.

Just your anxiety playing up here!

Good luck

Yep, one of many known sleep phenomena found in the Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic states of sleep which are totally normal brain functioning and can be experienced by anyone.

Anxiety isn't a cause but it does make them more frequent and with out tendency to see weird symptom and worry they are an obvious one for us to become further anxious about.