PDA

View Full Version : Legionaires disease worry again

Nighttime pacer
20-01-19, 19:11
Hi all,
I've been worrying on and off about legionnaires disease for about 2 years but I had a new worry tonight.

I've currently got a cold and cough which has made my health anxiety worse anyway.

Tonight I noticed that in my kitchen water had collected on my gas hob and I realised it was dripping from the extractor hood.
I think it was about half a cup of water in total.
I got some paper towels and cleared it up and then got on to a 24 hour roofer who came round and had a look in my loft and said yeah it's definitely not a leak as everything up there is dry so we decided it must be condensation from the inside of the metal ducting.

I'm now worrying about how long the water might have been in the pipe and was it above 20 degrees as that's the temperature when legionella starts to multiply.

I did wonder if it was caused by steam from the kettle and if so wasn't worried because the boiled water would be free from legionella.

I realise I'm over thinking it as even if the water had been up there a few days which is unlikely it wouldn't have been above 20 degrees celsius for any length of time as the ducting leads to the outside and it's metal and it's really cold in the UK at the moment and that must be what caused the condensation.

I have arranged for the roofer to come back in the future and remove the extractor and ducting as it's useless anyway.

I know legionella is only an issue with stagnant water in tanks where it's heated or hot tubs but I'm still worried.

I did put on a mask and try not to breath when I was clearing it up, also I guess I'd have noticed if the water seemed warm.

Sorry for the rambling.

Nighttime Pacer

Fishmanpa
20-01-19, 19:21
Parts of your post indicates an effort to rationalize this but your dragon is breathing fire down your neck. Deep down I believe you know this is irrational.

Positive thoughts

Mindsight
20-01-19, 19:40
I can honestly tell you as a service chemist who had 6 years in the field you can drink water with legionella in it you can not catch the diesses unless it is air bound ie vapour mainly caused via cooling towers,showers,steam rooms,air conditioning

Nighttime pacer
20-01-19, 20:13
Thanks for that Mindset and Fismanpa,

I realise I'm overthinking and overreacting.

I now realise it's impossible for me to catch it that way as the water's just not hot enough or stagnant enough.

I just wish there wasn't still a part of my brain thinking, yeah but what if ....

I hate my health anxiety sooooooo much!

Best wishes

Nighttime Pacer