PDA

View Full Version : Sore/Burning throat - Over a month

RyanM1994
21-01-19, 11:28
Hi All,

Apologies for the long post in advance

I want to start with explaining that I'm aware my Anxiety is high and that seeking reassurance is just feeding into it. I have been able to control anxiety for over a month but for the past week or so I have been struggling more and more.

I'm currently going through CBT for the second time, so hopefully that will help in the long term!

For the past month, ever since my last session with my dentist (fillings) and changing my toothpaste to sensodyne, I have had a burning sensation in my throat, and the occasional feeling like my tonsil (alternating sides, but only one at a time) is slightly swollen or something is stuck in it.

Over christmas it got a lot worse, however I think I was suffering from a virus given to me by a family member.

I went to my doctors about it between Christmas and New year, who stated he couldn't see anything (had been there for 2 weeks at that point)

I went back after the New year, and did a blood test.
The blood test came back normal, however I'm still waiting for the results from the EBV part.

I changed my toothpaste back to Aquafresh, and it felt like the burning and feeling of swelling was going, however for the past 3-4 days it's back again and making me more anxious than ever.

I have booked this Thursday off of work and am going to make an appointment with my doctor again.

Petrified is an under statement, my anxiety has managed to convince me that I have cancer or something horrendous. I'm going to need all these different tests done etc. Even the thought of antibiotics scares me!
I'm trying not to Google and keep failing

Not too sure what I want people to tell me, I just needed to get this down on writing somewhere. Many thanks if you took the time to read my long story!

BlueIris
21-01-19, 11:37
This could be any number of things, but the chances of it being cancer are vanishingly, vanishingly rare.

Well done on being self-aware enough to recognise this, at least on a conscious level.

RadioGaGa
21-01-19, 15:04
Hmm I'm wondering could this be Burning Mouth Syndrome (https://www.ouh.nhs.uk/patient-guide/leaflets/files/110407burningmouth.pdf)

It's not serious, just unpleasant. Read that leaflet and see if it sounds like you?

Good luck