PDA

View Full Version : How do I overcome this anxiety!? Looking for tips!

allen1989
21-01-19, 16:03
So I was diagnosed with GAD/Panic Disorder about 10 months ago now and have had many ups and downs (mostly downs) along the way. It all started in March last year when I had a massive panic attack (heart pounding, sweating, derealization, sense of impending doom) and I have never felt the the same since. I went to the doctors for some tests;

5 ECGS
24hr heart monitor
CT Scan Head
Chest X-ray
24hr Urine Test
Lyme disease blood test
Ears checked
Eyes checked
Blood Tests (Liver/Kidney function, hormones, vitamins etc)

After having all of these tests everything came back negative apart from my Vitamin B12 which was severely low, now treated with injections. As you can see from the tests I have developed a health anxiety also which is crippling!! I’ve tried CBT which has helped and a medication called Beta Blockers 160mg.

I wake up everyday now with a constant feeling of impending doom, adrenaline rushes, feeling of unreality/derealization (feel like I’ve just been transported into my body - weird feeling), floor rocking sensations, feel like I’m going to stop breathing and just an overall weird feeling I’m mu body.

I’m just looking for some tips on how to start feeling better and get my life back!! What are other people’s experiences, has anyone felt the same as me and what did you do to start feeling better/cope with this.

Thanks!

JonS86
22-01-19, 21:03
Have they discussed anti anxiety medication? Anti depressants?

Alde
23-01-19, 13:06
I feel your pain, mine started in the same way. The symptoms I’m scared of keep changing, you may have found this too. I am also on beta blockers as well as Fluoxetine.

One recommendation my doctor made was to stop getting tests done, he said if any person gets enough tests done then something not completely normal will be found. If anything abnormal is found, even if it is due to stress/anxiety, it will only feed our anxiety further. Our problem is anxiety and feeding the symptoms with worry.

The best thing I have found to do is to forget your symptoms and occupy your mind with other things. If I do that for an extended period of time then I find myself feeling well. I still wake up every morning in the same way that you are describing, usually heart racing and light headed feeling, knowing that the day is going to be a struggle again.

It has actually been explained to me on this forum why this is, it is due to our cortisol levels being higher in the morning. I find that helps as I know why I feel worse at the beginning of the day.

I know my ‘tip’ of forgetting/ignoring anxiety symptoms is much easier said than done, I myself can only manage 1 or 2 hours of it a day if I’m lucky even though I know it works. But I’m sure it gets easier with practice.

Also, if you haven’t done so yet, buy Dr Claire Weekes books. She explains anxiety brilliantly and that helps you to understand what is happening.

I hope you’re feeling better soon,

Al

WhereIsMyMind
23-01-19, 13:30
I'm working on this as well. So far I've banned myself from looking at any of those clickbait stories in papers about people getting misdiagnosed and dying, or who had some seemingly minor symptom that turned out to be cancer, etc. I'm also not googling symptoms anymore unless I can google something in a way that doesn't lead me to places telling me awful worst case scenarios. A desire to get my life back is helping me think more rationally. I'm not ill, end of.

And I've set myself a new benchmark for pain - if it's barely a pain, it's caused by my brain. And I will ignore them, and not sit there thinking about what might be causing this barely registering sensation. I've seen many people on here say things like "if something was truly wrong, you would know about it" and I think it's true. So no more worrying if some slight symptom is something major. It isn't.

Years ago I had months where both of my knees hurt quite a lot whenever I didn't move my legs for a while, and sometimes I could barely straighten them and would be limping. I occasionally wondered if it was arthritis, but I didn't even really consider going to the doctor. I just accepted that there was pain and carried on living my life normally. I really want to get back to being that person who doesn't worry about everything. I miss it a lot.

allen1989
25-01-19, 12:43
Have they discussed anti anxiety medication? Anti depressants?

They have but I’m reluctant to take it just yet! I want to see if I can first deal with it myself and then maybe go down the medication route.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

I feel your pain, mine started in the same way. The symptoms I’m scared of keep changing, you may have found this too. I am also on beta blockers as well as Fluoxetine.

One recommendation my doctor made was to stop getting tests done, he said if any person gets enough tests done then something not completely normal will be found. If anything abnormal is found, even if it is due to stress/anxiety, it will only feed our anxiety further. Our problem is anxiety and feeding the symptoms with worry.

The best thing I have found to do is to forget your symptoms and occupy your mind with other things. If I do that for an extended period of time then I find myself feeling well. I still wake up every morning in the same way that you are describing, usually heart racing and light headed feeling, knowing that the day is going to be a struggle again.

It has actually been explained to me on this forum why this is, it is due to our cortisol levels being higher in the morning. I find that helps as I know why I feel worse at the beginning of the day.

I know my ‘tip’ of forgetting/ignoring anxiety symptoms is much easier said than done, I myself can only manage 1 or 2 hours of it a day if I’m lucky even though I know it works. But I’m sure it gets easier with practice.

Also, if you haven’t done so yet, buy Dr Claire Weekes books. She explains anxiety brilliantly and that helps you to understand what is happening.

I hope you’re feeling better soon,

Al

Thanks for the response Alde 👍

My doctor said exactly the same thing about getting tested, he also said once I start forgetting about the symptoms and concentrating on something else they will eventually disappear.

It’s trying to find that one thing that takes your mind off all the symptoms! Really hard for me at the moment because I just seem hyper-focused on all sensations/feelings in my body. I have got better as I no longer pursue anymore tests but I just find I’m constantly googling!!

Morning is definitely the worst time for me! I wake up feeling like something going to happen, derealization, heart pounding etc.

Excellent book!! I bought it last year and found it a real help. Another book I found really helpful was Anxiety: Pamicking about panic. This was actually written by someone who went through the same as us and came through the other end.

Thanks Alde 🙏

Fishmanpa
26-01-19, 13:16
How do I overcome this anxiety!? Looking for tips!

Having read your post, your diagnosis and constant struggle, the reality and remedy is therapy, meds and a lot of hard work. While there are plenty of tips people can throw your way (distraction, mindfulness, relaxation techniques etc.) it comes down to you being able to effectively put it into practice. That appears to be very difficult at the moment due to the rabbit hole you're in.

I really would consider meds to help quiet your mind and one on one therapy or another round of CBT to help you better cope with the irrational thoughts.

Good luck and as always...

Positive thoughts

Alde
26-01-19, 16:58
They have but I’m reluctant to take it just yet! I want to see if I can first deal with it myself and then maybe go down the medication route.

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Thanks for the response Alde 👍

My doctor said exactly the same thing about getting tested, he also said once I start forgetting about the symptoms and concentrating on something else they will eventually disappear.

It’s trying to find that one thing that takes your mind off all the symptoms! Really hard for me at the moment because I just seem hyper-focused on all sensations/feelings in my body. I have got better as I no longer pursue anymore tests but I just find I’m constantly googling!!

Morning is definitely the worst time for me! I wake up feeling like something going to happen, derealization, heart pounding etc.

Excellent book!! I bought it last year and found it a real help. Another book I found really helpful was Anxiety: Pamicking about panic. This was actually written by someone who went through the same as us and came through the other end.

Thanks Alde 🙏

You sound a lot like me.

Anti depressants have worked wonders for me in the past. This most recent relapse of mine happened about 2 months after coming off of them because I didn’t think I needed them any more. I would definitely suggest trying medication if your doctor recommends it and you feel comfortable with it.