PDA

View Full Version : Full anxiety relapse - Twitches

Scotttt
22-01-19, 19:43
I have been a twitcher for 3-4 years. And have worried about ALS for nearly as long.

I have had ups and downs, and am currently seeing a therapist.

I have seen my GP twice for twitches and she said anxiety/stress etc

This morning a read an article about ALS on the news and totally spiraled out of control. I had a full anxiety relapse.

I even made an appointment with a neurologist (two weeks away).

I don’t know what to do. After four years you think I would accept that they are benign.

Any support is appreciated.

---------- Post added at 19:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

I got my Nuero appointment moved to Friday. Hopefully I can finally put this all to rest.

RadioGaGa
22-01-19, 19:51
By the time you notice the twitches (if you even notice them at all) the muscle has already weakened significantly - therefore, you'd have clinical weakness accompanying it.

Oh, by the way, clinical weakness isn't just a "oh I feel a bit weak". You'd be stumbling, or dropping things, and others would notice.

Twitches are classically caused by anxiety, too much caffeine or a mineral deficiency.

In the wise words of Fishmanpa, the "told ya so gang" will be on standby.

Good luck.

Scotttt
22-01-19, 20:21
Thanks for the support.

That’s one told ya so I will be glad to accept.

hope_girl
23-01-19, 04:01
If I were you, I would cancel the appointment with the neurologist. You’re only giving into the compulsions by seeking reassuranceIf I were you, I would cancel the appointment with the neurologist. You’re only giving into the compulsions by seeking reassurance which is also why you posted here. There is no end to reassurance. As soon as you get some you need more. The more you give it, the more it needs! And the obsessive thoughts get worse. Stop the cycle of obsessive thoughts by NOT giving into the compulsion to get yourself checked again. If your GP says you don’t need any tests, believe him/her. The Nuero appointment would only make me MORE anxiety ridden. You will think they missed something. Someone will say something you don’t understand or some comment will be made that will make you ruminate for weeks. Don’t invite any more anxiety in your life!

Seek more therapy, esp. therapy that is CBT. Instead of googling ALS, google Health Anxiety or Hypochondria and read about something you do actually have. There’s lots of people with the same thing. Me! As a fellow twitcher for over a year now, we both know you do not have ALS. If you’re as bad of a googler as I am then you know that you would have shown additional symptoms years ago if it were ALS. This knowing you’re being irriational can feel like the worst part because it doesn’t FEEL irrational. The feelings of health anxiety are just the worst. Hang in there. You can do this.