PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasound suggestion from GP - worried?!

LDHarv
29-01-19, 16:32
Hello all,

So today I went to my GP to discuss how things have been going over the past two weeks since I last went to see her to discuss my symptoms of:

> Stomach discomfort/pain, especially left hand side but also lower and right at times
> Acid reflux/indigestion
> Back discomfort - mainly upper or middle

Last time she just gave me a prescription for 40mg of omeprazole, felt my stomach area and said it didn't sound serious or anything like cancer and to come back in a few weeks (today) if things had continued. Now, things have continued until a day or so ago when my symptoms started to improve - stomach pain/discomfort is much less regular, I feel better and heartburn/reflux is less.

I still went today and mentioned the above continuing until recently. I also mentioned a h.pylori test to her and she agreed this was a good idea and I need to do that in a few weeks (after the omeprazole has stopped and is out of my system). She also said she wasn't sure what the pain/discomfort was in my left hand side, what I mentioned before was reflux symptoms (despite these being the same symptoms I mentioned today) but suggested I had an ultrasound. She didn't sound worried but even though I said please don't refer me or suggest anything she thought wasn't required, she still went ahead an ordered an ultrasound.

It was a bit out of left field, she never mentioned it the first appointment and she didn't give me a reason why seeing as my symptoms haven't changed and in fact they've got slightly better. Another GP I spoke to last week via video app said they also thought it was nothing to worry about, not cancer and just a bad flare up of my gastro reflux.

Anyway, now I'm very worried! Why would she order an ultrasound if she wasn't worried at all?! I'm likely to have to wait for ages for an appointment, any idea how long (in UK)? I seriously tempted to go private and go for an ultrasound early next week - even though my wife, my mum and other family members are telling me not to and just to wait (they all aren't worried). Anyone got any experience in this? Just when I was starting to feel better, this anxiety is going to come back massively now if I wait for this appointment.

Thanks all as always

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:31 ----------

To add, when I said it was mainly left hand side (like I did the first time I spoke to her and the other GP), she said this time she wasn't sure what would cause that as the stomach is the other side and that is the side of the spleen. Is that correct?! I thought the stomach was that side and reflux could cause pains and discomfort that side. Very weird.

AMomentofClarity
29-01-19, 16:34
Anyway, now I'm very worried! Why would she order an ultrasound if she wasn't worried at all?!

Because she can sense your anxiety and an ultrasound is a relatively cheap/easy way to provide you peace of mind.

ErinKC
29-01-19, 21:42
I had all the same symptoms as you and my doctor sent me for an ultrasound because she knew I was nervous and also, like AMC says, because it's an easy, noninvasive diagnostic tool. Everything was clear and, as soon as my anxiety cleared up, so did all my digestive symptoms.

.Poppy.
29-01-19, 21:58
I also had an ultrasound for similar symptoms; my doc wanted to rule out gallstones.

Ultrasounds are quick and easy and don't always indicate anything sinister.

Siffi
29-01-19, 23:15
Sounds like the doctor just wants to confirm what's going on and why you have the pain. If the doctor says it doesn't sound cancerous, it isn't.
I had an abdominal ultrasound because I had pain on my left side for 2 weeks and my doctor just wanted to just double check that everything is fine. It's just a precaution more than anything.
If it was serious, you would definitely be sent straight to A&E, not wait for an ultrasound

Scass
29-01-19, 23:45
They have to follow a path: it starts with omeprazole and of that doesn’t help you get sent for an ultrasound & a h.pylori test. I followed the same path, my ultrasound was clear, and I went to have an endoscopy which diagnosed gastritis.

So your GP is not necessarily worried, just following procedures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LDHarv
30-01-19, 23:26
Thanks for all of the replies, it’s all very welcome and I appreciate them all (and anyone else who replies to this post - the more the welcome)