PDA

View Full Version : ScRed I was poked by a needle

Tincup
01-02-19, 12:33
Hi, I hope some can help me here.

I was walking in a kind of sketchy area and I came very close to a woman sitting down and I made an effort to sway by her but when I did I thought I felt a slight prick by knee on the out side of it. I immediately turned around and looked at her and she looked like a junkie but I didn’t see any needles in her hand but it looked like she had marks on her hand maybe tattoos or needle marks but I couldn’t tell. She had shopping bags in her hand and I have got my self convinced that I got poked by something in her bag or she poked me because on the back of my knee there is a small red dot that looks like it could be a needle stick although my wife doesn’t think it is and neither does a friend of mine but I cannot get it out of my head.

I feel like I am losing it here because I do not want hiv or hepatitis.

Can someone out here help me please.

Thanks

BlueIris
01-02-19, 13:05
my wife doesn’t think it is and neither does a friend of mine but I cannot get it out of my head.

From somebody else with health anxiety - trust the people in your life who don't have it, because they don't have a mental health condition that makes them overreact and seriously impairs their sense of judgement.

Tincup
01-02-19, 14:43
Thanks Iris, I just wouldn’t want to give my wife something and that is what I’m really scared of. I may go to a doctor today and show them and ask if Pep is necessary.

BlueIris
01-02-19, 14:45
It won't be, but it's a good idea to do this if it'll set your mind at ease.

Tincup
01-02-19, 23:40
So went to a doctor and he said he really couldn’t tell if this red dot was a poke or some skin pgnwmt. He said we could test but he wouldn’t worry as the odds are so slim. So I’m trying to get past this. All I know is this sucks

Mindsight
01-02-19, 23:51
Going through the dont want to give anything to the family rabbit hole have no idea how i got to this point but i am at it and yep tested on all sorts on the second lot ive told myself this lot is the last so its time to tackle my mind if these test come back fine

Tincup
01-02-19, 23:59
I hear ya mindsight. I know I should trust the doctor but having that what if I’m the back of my mind is so hard.

Tincup
03-02-19, 21:45
Anyone ever have an issue like this, and if so, how’d you handle it. I’m really trying but it’s hard.

Fishmanpa
03-02-19, 21:47
Anyone ever have an issue like this, and if so, how’d you handle it. I’m really trying but it’s hard.

Do a search. There are a lot of needle contamination type threads here.

Positive thoughts

Tincup
05-02-19, 00:45
There aren’t many needle encounters like mine Pa, and I searched.

Fishmanpa
05-02-19, 01:04

They're all equally irrational :whistles:

Positive thoughts

AMomentofClarity
05-02-19, 01:34

The phantom bat ones are probably just as applicable to be honest....

MyNameIsTerry
05-02-19, 03:29

What about if your broaden it or remove the needle as the focus? For example, a homeless person hugged me, shook hand, someone with HIV did xyz, etc.

Beneath the object there is the same thinking and behaviours to tackle, which I expect you know anyway.

Dave_Lister
05-02-19, 17:52
How long ago did this happen?

You say your wife doesn't think the mark is from a needle?

Is the mark still there? If so, and a lot of time has passed wouldn't that rule out a needle mark as they do not stay around for a long time, or maybe someone else here knows more about the duration of a needle mark on the skin?

Lilly13
05-02-19, 17:59
1) HIV is very unlikely to transmit through needle stick.. especially through clothing. 0.01 or something... did you see a spot where the apparent needle had gone in? If not chances are even lower - no puncture

2) HPC - also rare to contract this way.. 1% ( these stats are like from doctors and nurses who legit get pricked

3) hep b - you were likely vaccinated for this.. this is the only one you would need to fear but ALSO unlikely because you probably weren't even pricked. ALSO : EVEN IF WORST CASE SCENARIO you somehow contracted hep b ( which is the only possible thing that COULD happen- but wouldn't) 95% of adults recover from this in 6 months.

IF you are really really worried go to your doctor and talk to them, they have been pricked many times I am sure of it.

I was pricked administering insulin and the needle was likely clean.. but I was even told that my chances were almost 0 for HIV/HCP. I was vaccinated against HEP B in grade 7 as most Canadians are so I am clean.

I understand the fear, but I don't think you have much ground to even think that you have actually been pricked.

Message me if you need to chat

xx

Tincup
05-02-19, 19:23
1) HIV is very unlikely to transmit through needle stick.. especially through clothing. 0.01 or something... did you see a spot where the apparent needle had gone in? If not chances are even lower - no puncture

2) HPC - also rare to contract this way.. 1% ( these stats are like from doctors and nurses who legit get pricked

3) hep b - you were likely vaccinated for this.. this is the only one you would need to fear but ALSO unlikely because you probably weren't even pricked. ALSO : EVEN IF WORST CASE SCENARIO you somehow contracted hep b ( which is the only possible thing that COULD happen- but wouldn't) 95% of adults recover from this in 6 months.

IF you are really really worried go to your doctor and talk to them, they have been pricked many times I am sure of it.

I was pricked administering insulin and the needle was likely clean.. but I was even told that my chances were almost 0 for HIV/HCP. I was vaccinated against HEP B in grade 7 as most Canadians are so I am clean.

I understand the fear, but I don't think you have much ground to even think that you have actually been pricked.

Message me if you need to chat

xx

PM sent Lilly

Tincup
08-02-19, 14:12
I’m starting to feel better. Dave has mentioned the needle mark and if it was still there, and it is after 9 days so this leads me to believe that it is something other than a needle poke. A slight needle poke wouldn’t have lasted this long in terms of not changing and still being visible right?

Tincup
12-02-19, 23:56
I know I have OCD, and I was walking through a crowd, and went by someone who looked like a junky and I came close to them, but didn't touch them because I do not like touching anyone that looks "dirty" and as I went by I thought I felt a slight poke in my outer left knee.

I turned around to look at this person to see if they poked me, but they didn't have anything in their hands except shopping bags.

I then went and looked at the place where I felt the slight poke, and there weren't any marks, but on the back of my knee was a red mark to which I immediately thought it was a needle poke, but I didn't feel the poke there.

Any way, to make a long story short, I am now worried I have HIV or Hep B from this even though a doctor told me not to worry about it.

I am married and would like to be intimate with my wife, but I am scared I will pass something along to her from this incident because my mind is telling me I got poked by a needle.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this, and if so, what is your advice to me?

Elen
13-02-19, 08:14
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen