PDA

View Full Version : Got a new puppy

Scooter86
04-02-19, 20:22
Hey folks - it’s been a long time since I’ve been on here and kind of forgot what a great resource it is when people feel anxious. So recently my partner and I got a new puppy! Yay! He’s the cutest and he’s so social. The problem is, he’s got a lot of separation anxiety which we learned when we put him in his crate the first time and left the apartment. He wouldn’t stop wailing and barking until we came back in.

So I’ve read all about puppies and their separation anxiety which can last quite a while due to them being removed from their mother and siblings. Add to the fact that we just took him from his foster family too. So lots of change going on for the little guy.

My biggest concern is my partner and I are going back to work next week and I’m super anxious that he’s just going to bark and howl the whole time we’re at work. We’ve already spoken to our neighbors and introduced him and they were all very friendly. We reinforced to them that we aren’t neglecting our neighbours or trying to be disrespectful but that he’s a puppy and is still becoming comfortable in his new home. Everyone seemed very supportive about it. We also mentioned it to our apartment board of directors just so they are informed.

But i just can’t stop feeling trapped, like this puppy will never stop howling and the patience of our neighbours will wear thin until we are forced to do something like move or re home the puppy. The whole thing is making me sick to my stomach and I’m barely getting any sleep.

My plan over the next week is to train this little fella to feel more comfortable in his crate and with being alone but all the puppy sites I’ve seen say it can be a long process. I also don’t want to go from training him to feel comfortable alone for say 15 minutes and then we run out of time and have to go back to work and he’s alone for 3 hours at a time. What if that ruins all the training?

Does anyone have any experience with puppies or just some kind words of wisdom?

Thanks so much
Scooter

Darksky
06-02-19, 18:26
I would try leaving the pup for a couple of minutes, then coming back into the house. Then try for five minutes and do the same. Very slowly increase the length of time you are out so he knows you always come back.
Where does he sleep? Does he sleep separated from you quite happily.

Scooter86
06-02-19, 18:35
Hey!
Thanks for the reply! I’m currently writing this as I sit in the hallway outside my apartment letting my dog get used to being alone. I’ve been out here almost 28 minutes of which 8 he was barking. So 20 minutes of silence is awesome! I’m so relieved that he settles down.

He currently sleeps in his crate In our room with us so we can hear him when he needs to go pee in the middle of the night. We also want him to get more comfortable in his crate.

But I’m very happy that he is settling down when I leave. It’s a HUGE relief for me. I don’t have to worry about him bothering the neighbours.

Carys
06-02-19, 18:53
Are you and your partner both going to be out at work, full time ? I think, to be fair to the puppy, you should arrange for someone to look after him in the daytime, aside from separation anxiety, that is a lot for a young puppy (and later a dog) to be alone in a crate. I know it won't be a popular thing I'm writing here possibly, but a little puppy and working full time can't really mix. I did see above though that you talk about '3 hours' only, so maybe one of you isn't full time every single day? In the Uk, don't know if you have it there, there are pet visitors who you can employ to come and let your dog out and do care visits, or even have them at their house during the working day. Regarding the separation anxiety, you can try a few things - leave an item of clothing/towel with the dog which has your scent all over it (sleep with the towel yourself first), make it a fun experience and an experience where pup gets rewards for being in the crate - so give filled kong toys in the crate, save special 'crate toys' which are safe and enjoyable for him. Leave a radio on low volume so pup hears other noises. AS you get him used to periods in the crate, you need to ignore him asking him to come out and don't let him out if he barks and howls, wait till he's quiet - then praise and let him out.