PDA

View Full Version : optical migraine

hope_girl
05-02-19, 15:25
So I know some of you on here experience these. I would appreciate your advice. about 4 years ago I had one and it scared me to death. It was squiggly bright lines and sort of a blind spot that started in one eye and eventually spread to the other one. I was able to partially see out of one eye and was able to call my eye doctor. I spoke to a nurse who said to lie down and close my eyes for 20 min. and call back after, that I was prob. just having an ocular migraine. So I did just that (while trying not to panic). After 20 min. I was fine. I called back and she explained it was nothing to worry about. A year later I had another one while in a store. I went and sat in my car and did the 20 min. eye close thing and I was fine after except this time I had a dull headache. Well, both of them scared me but I never actually went to the doctor. The nurse acted like it was no big deal. Fast forward to yesterday. I had my third one. It was exactly like the other two. Starts with a tiny dot in the center of my vision in my right eye and looks like a little kaleidoscope that gets larger and then finally spreads into my other eye (that one only has wavy blurry lines, no light show) until it finally moves out to the side and disappears. You see it with eyes closed too. The one yesterday was gone at about 20 min and then I had another headache. But mostly I suffered from feeling panicked!! Anyway, I got on the stupid internet this time. And I freaked myself out bc it says to go to the doctor. Well, I didn't. And I didn't go either of the other times either. Both of my parents and both siblings get them and think they are nothing to be worried about (one of those family members is a dr. himself). Should I be concerned about how I have never gone in? I'm thinking I'm answering my own question here, but you see, I have a bit of a fear of Doctors. I have to work up the courage to go in. If that nurse said I was fine the first time, isn't that enough? Help.

Carys
05-02-19, 15:34
I think you know exactly what they are, they are rarely happening to you and follow the usual expected pattern of migraine aura. Your family have them (therefore you can make comparisons easily) and so it stands to reason that you are having exactly the same. If I was in your position, and I was 40 years ago when I had my first one which turned into a full-blown migraine, I didn't visit a GP (i wasn't taken, I was a child and my family had them also). I have never visited a GP about them in the subsequent 40 years either :D If they are rarely happening, and you are coping ok with them when they do happen, then nothing much to gain from having them rubber-stamped. You could instead see if you can work out your triggers and certainly read up on how to aid in the recovery during them - dark glasses, darkened room, sat up reclining, eat a carbohydrate immediately the eyes 'turn' and drink some water. They aren't anything to 'worry about', in terms of long-term health - however, they are very unpleasant and scary at times. If they were to become regular and problematic you could visit and ask medication advice?

BlueIris
05-02-19, 15:36
No need to worry about these if the nurse has told you you're okay, it's a textbook migraine aura and utterly harmless. I've had at least a hundred of them, and they're scary but not a big deal - lying in a dark room can help them pass a little quicker.

gailveronica
05-02-19, 15:41
I get these - they're quite frightening! When I first presented, I was about 13 years old (36 years old now). I did get an MRI but it didn't show anything. Mine are accompanied by vertigo as well, which doesn't help the panic. I do tend to panic each time (fight or flight!) but I breathe my way through and know it will pass (it always does). Best of luck to you and I wish you well! Just breathe through it and if it feels any different than the usual, see the doctor to get confirmation (for your own mental health) but these are very common, albeit frightening for the patient!

hope_girl
05-02-19, 15:47
Thank you for the responses. Yeah I guess my first one was age 37 or 38. My brother started them at 16 and had an MRI done. IMO American culture is more "run to the doctor" than UK culture so it feels a little counter culture. But hey, I called that nurse that time so :)

I am worried I'll have another one soon, making this an infrequent experience. BUT, I am in therapy and visit my therapist tomorrow so that's good timing to talk about fear. Thanks for the support. I do know they have a very strong family occurrence (heredity) so that's about the only thing that makes me feel better.

ErinKC
05-02-19, 16:15
I've only ever had one of these and it was while I was recovering from a pretty traumatic surgery and was having such horrible anxiety. I think the anxiety might have been part of what sparked it!

It was terrifying to me. I went to the eye doctor the next day and he checked everything and there was nothing wrong. He explained ocular migraines and said not to worry about it. I've never had one since, but I do get regular migraines from time to time now (but I think they are associated with TMJ, my cycle, or both).

I have a friend who gets them regularly! She doesn't have anxiety so it's not big deal to her. She just stops what she's doing and waits it out.

It's normal to get a mild or even full on migraine after them because for some they are just the prodrome of a regular migraine.

elysemarie123
05-02-19, 16:43
I wish I was in your shoes! I get ocular migraines followed by a full blown headache. I would love to just get the visuals! And also to have a DR. in the family hahaha

But really -- you are fine! Trust and believe your family and yourself. You sound like you already know the answer :)

Carys
05-02-19, 17:28
My brother started them at 16 and had an MRI done. IMO American culture is more "run to the doctor" than UK culture so it feels a little counter culture. But hey, I called that nurse that time so :smile:

You did more than I did then, not even a nurse was called LOL

Siffi
05-02-19, 20:04
I have those and it's exactly what you're describing, the kaideoscope vision. You know if you have any triggers of it? It does seem really scary at the time though

NancyW
05-02-19, 20:08
I got them randomly during perimenopause. Gone now.

LF87
05-02-19, 20:31
I have had two over the last year and never had them before and was totally freaked out. Told my bf to ring an ambulance but he said it would pass and it did. I too have to go into a dark room and close my eyes. I took reassurance from this forum and reading online that it's pretty common. Totally get your worry though, I was the same! Xx

hope_girl
05-02-19, 21:11
Again, I appreciate the understanding and encouragement. I don't know the triggers. The first two (a year apart) came during a time that I was getting poor sleep. I have not particularly been getting poor sleep lately but I am getting over a cold and Dec. & Jan. were more stressful than usual. But there are MANY times I'm stressed or tired and do not get them so who knows. For someone with health anxiety it can be debilitating to experience one. I also have ectopic heartbeats which can also be very stressful at times to experience. While both of these are benign conditions it does not take away the scary feelings. Having gone 3 years without one of these things made me feel that the others were just isolated occurrences. Suppose I was wrong! I realize normal people handle all kinds of health conditions, often not benign. But I'm preoccupied with hypochondria! Wouldn't wish it on anyone!

dodo
17-02-19, 23:21
I had a patch of these when I was regnant with my first child. Never had them before, never again touch wood. I couldn’t understand what was happening at first. I’d bent down to get some washing out the machine and bam, a wiggly work across my eye. Twenty minutes then gone. My vision went almost entirely in that eye. The height was when I was in labour and got them back to back, about four in a row. Mine were definitely hormone related x

---------- Post added at 23:21 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Ps I wouldn’t start worrying about when the next is coming. Just try and relax in the fact you’ve not had one before now for such a long time. I do understand how I selling they are though. You’re not on any contraception?