PDA

View Full Version : Constant Pressure in Chest

neil1975
03-09-07, 22:56
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone else suffers from a constant pressure in their chest like I do. Mine is on the left hand side of my chest and my ribs feel tender sometimes on that side too. I have been diagnosed with costochondritis (inflammation of the rib cartilage) in the past as my sternum cracks so this may be the reason or it may be tension.

It worries me that it's my heart as I am overly aware of every heartbeat when I lay down I can see my pulse in my stomach. I have had 2 ECG's chest x-ray and blood tests which all came back OK. I had slightly raised Blood Pressure which my GP puts down to anxiety and says it's nothing to worry about. I saw a cardioligist about 4 years ago when I went through another bad bout of anxiety and had echo and stress test which also came back fine.

My other main symptom is feeling light headed nearly all the time but I think this may be down to me being tense nearly all the time. Relaxation seems to be absent from me at the moment.

My biggest obstacle is convincing myself it's just anxiety that I have then I feel I can start to accept it which will help my nerves.

Anyway, I hope to get some good tips from all you good people on this forum.

Take Care,

Neil x

sthldnboy
04-09-07, 08:44
Hi Neil,

I know where you are coming from.
My left side always aches or is on pain - i was convinced it was my heart and was in and out of a+e having ecg's, blood tests, 24 heart monitor and stress test. They all came back fine.

I feel like my ribs and side are on fire.

It is just stress and anxiety - and i know that vicious circle you get into.
I take my pulse!!
I have an holistic massage once a month and that helps.
A lot of my anxiety seems to be stored on the left side and my arm aches and fingers.
I was advised to relax and do gentle stretching exercises to help eleviate the pain.

I am sure it is all fine and nmost definitely not the heart

Take care

Paul :-) x

neil1975
04-09-07, 11:50
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply.
When I am talking to people about my symptoms and mention the tests and results I have had I can logically think it's just anxiety and fear causing it.
But when I am on my own with my thoughts I always think the worst. So much so that I have become fearful of doing any real exercise other than walking. I was going the gym and playing football regularly before this and now I am embarissingly too scared.
It's crazy, I think I know better than doctors.
I just need to overcome this fear.

Thanks

Neil