PDA

View Full Version : Worried about alcohol consumption affecting health

kmm111
06-02-19, 19:39
I no longer binge drink like I did when I was in college, but I enjoy drinking 2 glasses (sometimes 3) of wine each day with dinner. It seems to lift my mood and diminish my anxiety and makes me relaxed enough to fall asleep easily.

I'm 41 and I've been drinking since I was 20 and am afraid it's going to start negatively affecting my health, if it hasn't already. Does anyone else drink pretty much daily? Do you worry about it affecting your health? I don't know if I'm just looking for something to worry about.

Mindsight
06-02-19, 19:47
We all have to leave this planet so take away what you like annd have nothing left eat sleep drink in moderation spend the rest of the time live amd let live

AMomentofClarity
06-02-19, 20:05
I no longer binge drink like I did when I was in college, but I enjoy drinking 2 glasses (sometimes 3) of wine each day with dinner. It seems to lift my mood and diminish my anxiety and makes me relaxed enough to fall asleep easily.

I'm 41 and I've been drinking since I was 20 and am afraid it's going to start negatively affecting my health, if it hasn't already. Does anyone else drink pretty much daily? Do you worry about it affecting your health? I don't know if I'm just looking for something to worry about.

Used to. Now I mostly save it up for binge drinking on the weekends :yesyes:

But I think you’re fine. Sure, alcohol affects everyone differently and it’s theoretically possible to have issues at those levels....but at some point you have to put risks aside and enjoy life.

I say cheers!

Weasley123
06-02-19, 21:58
I’ve had these worries and I’m sure the health nuts would say I’m wrong but u only love once. I’m 41 in 2 months. I drank more in my 20s. These days I tend to save up my units as it where. Now on a Sunday night or when I’m off work I’m a teacher but work summer school but get quite a few breaks, I’ll order take away and drink most of a bottle of wine over many hours. I watch my movies and old tv shows and relax. Yesterday school was closed for Chinese New Year I had a bacon cheese burger cheese fries and most of a lovely bottle of Shiraz of and ice cream. This was over a 4 hotel period. Is it healthy no but I think it’s important to indulge sometimes. I eat very healthy during the work week walk a lot and am not at all overweight actually am thinner then I’ve ever been. Saving up to have treats ob wwwkehds is special days seems to work for me. Maybe it’s nit healthy but it’s fun I think u r fine and none of us will live forever so enjoy it while it lasts

Missjensen
06-02-19, 22:27
It’s not healthy if you use it to escape your anxiety, that can lead to alcoholism. A male can drink around 14 units pr week and female 7, but alcohol is not healthy no matter how you look at it. In my ears drinking alcohol every day is something to avoid, I’m no saint myself, I sometimes share a bottle of wine with my partner, but not every day.

AMomentofClarity
06-02-19, 22:37
It’s not healthy if you use it to escape your anxiety, that can lead to alcoholism. A male can drink around 14 units pr week and female 7, but alcohol is not healthy no matter how you look at it. In my ears drinking alcohol every day is something to avoid, I’m no saint myself, I sometimes share a bottle of wine with my partner, but not every day.

There’s also car accidents daily, pollution in the air, mercury in fish, chemicals in/on every modern surface. Living involves risk. Adding a drink or 2 per day is moderate enough to be a drop in the bucket relative to everything else.

---------- Post added at 15:37 ---------- Previous post was at 15:35 ----------

To be clear, I’m not suggesting saying screw it, might as well drink a pint of vodka per day. That’s obviously excessive. But a couple glasses of wine is pretty damn moderate in my eyes, male or female.

Weasley123
06-02-19, 23:02
Women and men are both allowed 14 units a week. Men used to be allowed 21. Granted u aren’t supposed to save them up like I do. I’m not sure drinking every day is a great idea as u do need to have other ways to relax but I do think life should have pleasures

Missjensen
06-02-19, 23:51
Women and men are both allowed 14 units a week. Men used to be allowed 21. Granted u aren’t supposed to save them up like I do. I’m not sure drinking every day is a great idea as u do need to have other ways to relax but I do think life should have pleasures

Not in Denmark, here it used to be male 21 female 14 and now its male 14 and female 7, but I guess it’s different around the world.

Of cause live should be a pleasure and we make our choices along the way, but for me it’s really a red flag when people use alcohol as a way to relax and avoid anxiety, my grandmama could not handle her anxiety and ended up drinking her way out of it, it’s not a pretty thing to watch.

As I said I drink myself, also to much sometimes, but asking if it can be damaging drinking everyday, the answer is yes! using the argument that air pollution also is dangerous or car accidents is in my opinion not valid, you can’t stop breathing or drive cars (work related etc) but you can stop drinking to much and smoke, this is in our control and we can stop.

It may not be a popular opinion and of cause it’s fine to party or share wine over dinner and we all decide how we want to life our own lives, but when asked I won’t say it’s healthy.

Weasley123
07-02-19, 01:10
Not in Denmark, here it used to be male 21 female 14 and now its male 14 and female 7, but I guess it’s different around the world.

Of cause live should be a pleasure and we make our choices along the way, but for me it’s really a red flag when people use alcohol as a way to relax and avoid anxiety, my grandmama could not handle her anxiety and ended up drinking her way out of it, it’s not a pretty thing to watch.

As I said I drink myself, also to much sometimes, but asking if it can be damaging drinking everyday, the answer is yes! using the argument that air pollution also is dangerous or car accidents is in my opinion not valid, you can’t stop breathing or drive cars (work related etc) but you can stop drinking to much and smoke, this is in our control and we can stop.

It may not be a popular opinion and of cause it’s fine to party or share wine over dinner and we all decide how we want to life our own lives, but when asked I won’t say it’s healthy.

I’m no way do I think alcohol consumption is healthy. I’m positive many of life’s pleasures are unhealthy and it’s quite possible that some of my choices may not be the healthiest. I also agree that drinking every day is not good and I’m sure I’d i had one glass of wine a week rather then most of one bottle it might be healthier. My husband hates the taste of alcohol so we don’t share it.

Maybe I’m deluding myself but I’m not sure finding alcohol relaxing and enjoyable is a red flag. Drinking to escape your problems and dull your senses certainly is. But for example I find eating certain foods like take away or chips or ice cream relaxing. I find watching Star Trek relaxing I find gross stitching relaxing etc. lots of things are relaxing.

Also as per the unit every country defines units differently and I googled it and it turns out a unit in Denmark has more grams of alcohol in it then a uk unit. So the 7 in Denmark and 14 in uk are roughly the same amount of alcohol.

I’m sure less alcohol is probably safest but everything in life has risks

Double_Rainbow
07-02-19, 02:21
OP, it reads as if you are looking for reassurance to keep up drinking with an easy mind. Sorry, but you know that recent research shows that damage to health starts at as little as 1 drink per day for women (a little more for men). There is really no safe alcohol limit. Yes, I drink. Maybe 2 drinks a week on average. Yes, I used to have anxiety about it. I did my research and found a safe limit for myself, which is no more than 3 drinks per week, that doesn't trigger anxiety and yet allows me to relax and unwind. Do some pondering, find out a plan that you are comfortable with and stick to it, that's all. You know that 2 drinks daily is too much, that's why you asked this.

I am not trying to chastise you but I've seen so many lives ruined by alcohol. Young people dying in their prime from drinking. None of them thought that they consume too much, until it was too late. Just sharing. You are intelligent, thoughtful, do your research. And do what's best for you in the long run...

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-19, 04:40
Maybe I’m deluding myself but I’m not sure finding alcohol relaxing and enjoyable is a red flag. Drinking to escape your problems and dull your senses certainly is. But for example I find eating certain foods like take away or chips or ice cream relaxing. I find watching Star Trek relaxing I find gross stitching relaxing etc. lots of things are relaxing.

I think you are both in agreement from what you are saying. Don't use it mask a problem, as a crutch. That's unhealthy and can lead to addiction. The same if you found eating certain foods started to negatively affect your health because your anxiety had you eating them to escape, avoid, self medicate, chase a better mood, etc.

Gross stitching sounds a bit serial killer-ish. :winks: My GF enjoys cross stitching too. Do you find it just gentle moves your mind away from being sitting anxious? I tend to find natural, healthy distractions that take longer do this for me.

ankietyjoe
07-02-19, 10:03
2-3 glasses of wine a day is way too much, period. There is no way that amount of booze is safe long term I'm afraid.

Unit allowances are now widely regarded as being unsafe.

Weasley123
07-02-19, 11:38
I think you are both in agreement from what you are saying. Don't use it mask a problem, as a crutch. That's unhealthy and can lead to addiction. The same if you found eating certain foods started to negatively affect your health because your anxiety had you eating them to escape, avoid, self medicate, chase a better mood, etc.

Gross stitching sounds a bit serial killer-ish. :winks: My GF enjoys cross stitching too. Do you find it just gentle moves your mind away from being sitting anxious? I tend to find natural, healthy distractions that take longer do this for me.

Lol I tried to edit it but it kept the g. I do enjoy it but when I make I mistake I find it frustrating and I don’t spend tons of time on it. I like making geeky patterns Star Trek etc. I do find food and wine more relaxing to be honest. It’s a despise term but I guess I’m a foodie I don’t cook but I love trying new take away and ethnic restaurants and old school places like diners. I definitely enjoy that too much to give it up no matter how many articles say it will kill me. Though I do try to balance by eating healthy during the week. I feel the same with wine I enjoy my relaxing weekend bottle enough to take the risk. As per the op maybe take 2 or 3 days off wine a week

Missjensen
07-02-19, 12:45
2-3 glasses of wine a day is way too much, period. There is no way that amount of booze is safe long term I'm afraid.

Unit allowances are now widely regarded as being unsafe.

Agree, in Denmark they talk about removing the unit limits because in reality no amount of alcohol is healthy.

Double_Rainbow
07-02-19, 14:08

Alcohol is one of the MOST addictive substances period, right there with heroine and benzos. Alcohol kills. Tell me when was the last time you heard about someone dying because of too much stitching. These are not even comparable.

Ice cream and chips are dangerous too, and obesity kills many people as well. But they are dangerous in the long run. Alcohol can create much more damage much faster.

I got this idea of taking kratom as needed to survive the terrible anxiety attacks. Well, it did help with panic alright, but in a matter of 3 months I went from taking it once a week to twice daily, AND I had to increase the dose to get the same kick. Kratom and alcohol hit the same receptors (only kratom is even better, it feels cleaner, the kick is fantastic). Once I got a grip on myself and realized that I am becoming an addict, I stopped it cold turkey. Withdrawal sucked but I got over it. It has been 6 months since I stopped and I still get the sweet thoughts about it periodically. The bottom line is, any of that stuff taken daily is no good, no matter how you slice it.

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-19, 14:20
Lol I tried to edit it but it kept the g. I do enjoy it but when I make I mistake I find it frustrating and I don’t spend tons of time on it. I like making geeky patterns Star Trek etc. I do find food and wine more relaxing to be honest. It’s a despise term but I guess I’m a foodie I don’t cook but I love trying new take away and ethnic restaurants and old school places like diners. I definitely enjoy that too much to give it up no matter how many articles say it will kill me. Though I do try to balance by eating healthy during the week. I feel the same with wine I enjoy my relaxing weekend bottle enough to take the risk. As per the op maybe take 2 or 3 days off wine a week

I think just having the patience to do it and concentrate on patterns shows a commitment to something that we often struggle with.

Balance is all we need.

We could obviously all survive without alcohol but many of us could survive without cars too. That's a dangerous activity. Our government tells us to cycle, which is very dangerous on most of today's roads and dangerous in general with certain weather conditions anyway. Stay in at night and never go out into your local town centre as you may get mugged or beaten up, even if you don't drink.

So, how sterile do we want our lives?

I think our health services are quite clear there is no safe level of alcohol only that there is a safer level they consider at this time.

And then we have those antidepressants and how little they understand them. In future years even they could be found to be bad for us as other drugs have. We go with the information we have now.

Double_Rainbow
07-02-19, 14:25
In future years even they could be found to be bad for us as other drugs have. We go with the information we have now.
20 years ago: folic acid prevents birth defects, everyone who is pregnant take as much folic acid as possible, let's also fortify our foods with it!!! Let's take it in the elephant doses, it can't hurt!

Today: too much folic acid causes autism, stop taking it, it is dangerous for your baby!!!

So WTH is that??? Talk about creating confusion.

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-19, 14:40
20 years ago: folic acid prevents birth defects, everyone who is pregnant take as much folic acid as possible, let's also fortify our foods with it!!! Let's take it in the elephant doses, it can't hurt!

Today: too much folic acid causes autism, stop taking it, it is dangerous for your baby!!!

So WTH is that??? Talk about creating confusion.

That's science for you. There is no way to stop that for the most part.

How many conflicting studies have we seen over alcohol?

It can hard to know what to do as it's an ever changing thing for many areas of our lives. Just look at sugar and fats.

If you are so concerned you can at least choose to abstain from alcohol if you wish to do so but many will stick with balance until they know for sure because otherwise that may be years they could have lived to a standard they believe is better. Some do it with food too and they may have been caught out by ever changing science there.

The government were telling us to all switch to diesel as it's better for the environment. Now they say the opposite and want rid of diesel.

AMomentofClarity
07-02-19, 15:19
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, 'It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.”

-Babe Ruth :)

MyNameIsTerry
07-02-19, 16:56
“Sometimes when I reflect on all the beer I drink, I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. I think, 'It is better to drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.”

-Babe Ruth :)

:yesyes:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BossyLikelyAlaskanmalamute-size_restricted.gif

:D

AMomentofClarity
07-02-19, 17:05
:yesyes:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BossyLikelyAlaskanmalamute-size_restricted.gif

:D

:roflmao:

Weasley123
07-02-19, 17:54
Alcohol is one of the MOST addictive substances period, right there with heroine and benzos. Alcohol kills. Tell me when was the last time you heard about someone dying because of too much stitching. These are not even comparable.

Ice cream and chips are dangerous too, and obesity kills many people as well. But they are dangerous in the long run. Alcohol can create much more damage much faster.

I got this idea of taking kratom as needed to survive the terrible anxiety attacks. Well, it did help with panic alright, but in a matter of 3 months I went from taking it once a week to twice daily, AND I had to increase the dose to get the same kick. Kratom and alcohol hit the same receptors (only kratom is even better, it feels cleaner, the kick is fantastic). Once I got a grip on myself and realized that I am becoming an addict, I stopped it cold turkey. Withdrawal sucked but I got over it. It has been 6 months since I stopped and I still get the sweet thoughts about it periodically. The bottom line is, any of that stuff taken daily is no good, no matter how you slice it.

There are 0 guarantees no matter what u do. I have had a Xanax script for 3 years I heard over and over how addicting. 30 pills last me a year or more. They a great when I’m really anxious but I’ve never felt the need to take more.

Also I wasn’t comparing wine to cross stitching lol. I was saying o do kids of things I enjoy to relax. I don’t think saying wine is relaxing or food is relaxing is bad if it’s not relaxing and enjoyable why do it?

I never said alcohol was healthy I said we all have to weigh the pros abs cons. Lots of people juice avoid sugar not me. I walk everywhere eat sensibly during the week and live it up on the weekend food wise So far for me it’s worked for me I’m thinner at 40 then I was at 25

---------- Post added at 17:54 ---------- Previous post was at 17:50 ----------

[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1855240]I think just having the patience to do it and concentrate on patterns shows a commitment to something that we often struggle with.

Balance is all we need.

We could obviously all survive without alcohol but many of us could survive without cars too. That's a dangerous activity. Our government tells us to cycle, which is very dangerous on most of today's roads and dangerous in general with certain weather conditions anyway. Stay in at night and never go out into your local town centre as you may get mugged or beaten up, even if you don't drink.

So, how sterile do we want our lives?

I think our health services are quite clear there is no safe level of alcohol only that there is a safer level they consider at this time.

And then we have those antidepressants and how little they understand them. In future years even they could be found to be bad for us as other drugs have. We go with the information we have now.[/QUOTE
Tharsinteresting I bike a lot. My hubby bikes to and from work every day a 2 hrs commute round trip all weather. Dark etc. I worry but it’s good for him. Weekends we have a tandem bike and bike all over mostly to get food

Double_Rainbow
07-02-19, 21:18
That's science for you. There is no way to stop that for the most part.

How many conflicting studies have we seen over alcohol?

It can hard to know what to do as it's an ever changing thing for many areas of our lives. Just look at sugar and fats.

If you are so concerned you can at least choose to abstain from alcohol if you wish to do so but many will stick with balance until they know for sure because otherwise that may be years they could have lived to a standard they believe is better. Some do it with food too and they may have been caught out by ever changing science there.

The government were telling us to all switch to diesel as it's better for the environment. Now they say the opposite and want rid of diesel.

Bu how do you define balance in terms of alcohol consumption? The consensus keeps changing, it used to be 2 drinks a day, then it was 1, now it's no safe alcohol limit. I personally drink alcohol but I have set the rules, such as avoid drinking 2 days in a row and never drink more than 2 drinks in one day, and on average, keep at 3 drinks per week or less. There might still be harm but I see it as being low enough to let myself do it. But yeah it is possible that in some years they find that alcohol is really the cause of 80% of all cancers or something like that. You never know. Smoking was regarded as safe many years ago, and now it is widely stigmatized. Go figure.

I think it is the most important to be at peace with your lifestyle. Drink as long as it doesn't bother you or people around you, but if you are bothered, maybe it is time to reevaluate.

AMomentofClarity
07-02-19, 21:36
I think it is the most important to be at peace with your lifestyle. Drink as long as it doesn't bother you or people around you, but if you are bothered, maybe it is time to reevaluate.

This is the key. I have on average 15-20 drinks per week, more on vacations etc. But I’m ok with that. If it cuts 5 years off my life, so what, I at least had fun doing what I want to do. I’ve accepted the risks the same way I accept the risks of driving each day, eating non organic food, etc etc.

On the other hand, if you can’t accept the risks, and you’re going to worry you drink too much, it’s harmful, etc, then you should probably cut back, especially if you’re prone to HA.

MyNameIsTerry
08-02-19, 03:05
This is the key. I have on average 15-20 drinks per week, more on vacations etc. But I’m ok with that. If it cuts 5 years off my life, so what, I at least had fun doing what I want to do. I’ve accepted the risks the same way I accept the risks of driving each day, eating non organic food, etc etc.

On the other hand, if you can’t accept the risks, and you’re going to worry you drink too much, it’s harmful, etc, then you should probably cut back, especially if you’re prone to HA.

A wise man once said "“You take a chance getting up every morning, crossing the street or sticking your face in a fan.”"

http://basementrejects.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/naked-gun-from-the-files-of-police-squad-frank-drebin-tackles-queen-elizabeth-leslie-nielsen-jeannette-charles-review.jpg

Although he also said "A parachute not opening...that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine...having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!"

:roflmao:

---------- Post added at 03:05 ---------- Previous post was at 02:05 ----------

Bu how do you define balance in terms of alcohol consumption? The consensus keeps changing, it used to be 2 drinks a day, then it was 1, now it's no safe alcohol limit. I personally drink alcohol but I have set the rules, such as avoid drinking 2 days in a row and never drink more than 2 drinks in one day, and on average, keep at 3 drinks per week or less. There might still be harm but I see it as being low enough to let myself do it. But yeah it is possible that in some years they find that alcohol is really the cause of 80% of all cancers or something like that. You never know. Smoking was regarded as safe many years ago, and now it is widely stigmatized. Go figure.

The only way is complete prevention until they know for sure. Or accept risks in life, be sensible and if something does happen perhaps you can at least say you have enjoyed your life?

ankietyjoe
08-02-19, 08:31

That's one way to look at it.

The other way is that it'll take 5 years off your life AND make the last 15 years of your life a disease filled hell AND destroy the lives of all those that care about you.

Weasley123
08-02-19, 10:23
That's one way to look at it.

The other way is that it'll take 5 years off your life AND make the last 15 years of your life a disease filled hell AND destroy the lives of all those that care about you.

May I ask why you think at that level it would destroy the lives of all those who care about you?

It may well be healthier to abstain but there is absolutely no way to know for sure that it will rob you of your last five years or make your life a disease filled hell. My husband is a Medicak researcher and he tells me that with every case of cancer there is virtually no way to know the exact cause. So even if the person who drinks get cancer you can’t be positive it was thd alcovom yhst sod it. Just something to consider.

The most important thing to consider is it’s nof kust alcohol it’s food as well. To me these are some of life’s chief pleasures. Everyone needs their own decisions but to act as if there is some guarantee is just incorrect. I can think of plenty of health nuts with cancer and boozers in their 70s

ankietyjoe
08-02-19, 19:22
May I ask why you think at that level it would destroy the lives of all those who care about you?

It may well be healthier to abstain but there is absolutely no way to know for sure that it will rob you of your last five years or make your life a disease filled hell. My husband is a Medicak researcher and he tells me that with every case of cancer there is virtually no way to know the exact cause. So even if the person who drinks get cancer you can’t be positive it was thd alcovom yhst sod it. Just something to consider.

The most important thing to consider is it’s nof kust alcohol it’s food as well. To me these are some of life’s chief pleasures. Everyone needs their own decisions but to act as if there is some guarantee is just incorrect. I can think of plenty of health nuts with cancer and boozers in their 70s

Somebody compared drinking excess levels of alcohol with not eating organic food. Pointless comparison as one is still food with nutritional value and the other is purely a toxin. Alcohol is a toxin, and drinking 2-3 times a day IS going to cause problems at some point. Could be minor, could kill you. I just don't get the 'fvck it' attitude as most people are here for anxiety, and this forum specifically for health anxiety.

Furthermore, just because a specific cause of cancer isn't known (I have a friend who's a research biologist specialising in cancer btw), doesn't mean alcohol isn't a major contributing factor. It's now widely regarded that cancer is caused by persistent inflammation (along with myriad other chronic diseases). Alcohol is known to cause inflammation, especially in the gut. And that's precisely where most of your immune system lives.

I know, I sound like a right bore. I'm cool with that.