PDA

View Full Version : Teeth worries

Abrokenperson
24-01-19, 08:23
I am a 20 year old and I have pretty bad HA I've had it under control for a little while now until recently when I felt a few little lumps on my gums at first I thought maybe it's a canker sore or something but my anxiety got the best of me when I saw an ad about oral cancer and it kicked my into the deep end. Now I don't know how long they were there so it was just recently I discovered it but I thought for sure that I had oral cancer. I called my dentist asked for him to check it out just to be safe he said ok. I went in today got a couple of x ray's than he looked in my mouth with the mirror thing he said "Your x ray's came back good and I don't see anything wrong it looks like it might be just bit of extra bone but you have nothing to worry about." for some reason my anxiety won't let me accept that. I have been trying everything to accept that my dentist said but for my anxiety tells me "Maybe he missed it?" Now this isn't the first time my anxiety had convinced me that I had cancer. Now I have been trying everything I can to get my HA back under control but I know it's going to be incredibly difficult. So I would like to know if you have any advice that can help me I would like to hear it.

Fishmanpa
24-01-19, 11:21
Other than the fact your dentist is 100% spot on, no advice other than believe the dentist :shrug:.... and I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor.

Positive thoughts

Abrokenperson
25-01-19, 00:47
Other than the fact your dentist is 100% spot on, no advice other than believe the dentist :shrug:.... and I'm a Head and Neck cancer survivor.

Positive thoughts

I'm doing my best to believe him I really am trying my best but my anxiety won't allow me. I know he's a professional and I've been told he's a really good dentist so I know he knows what to look for if there was any signs of anything dangerous. I don't know my anxiety from seeing an oral cancer ad and all of a sudden feeling a few lumps on my gums that I can't remember if they were there the whole time or not really pushed me into the deep end but like he said "x rays came back good and everything looks good you got nothing to worry about" Now I don't know if oral cancer would show up on an x ray but I searched and a lot of websites said it would but I don't know how trusted those sites can be and like I said I'm told he's a good dentist and as long as he's been doing his job I know he would have had to see someone who unfortunately did have oral cancer so he would know what to look for. I'm sorry for rambling it's just that cancer in general is my biggest cause for my Health Anxiety and I'm sorry that you had head and neck cancer but I'm glad that you are alive.

jray23
25-01-19, 02:00
Dentists know exactly what to look for. They're trained professionals. You and I aren't, and we have no idea what to look for. Tell yourself this over and over again until you believe it. [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Abrokenperson
25-01-19, 02:18
Dentists know exactly what to look for. They're trained professionals. You and I aren't, and we have no idea what to look for. Tell yourself this over and over again until you believe it. [emoji6]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I'm doing that right now. I've been trying to do that all day telling myself "He knows what he's doing he knows what to look for." Unfortunately since I've discovered these lumps my tongue will now unconsciously go over them and touch them.

Abrokenperson
08-02-19, 10:00
Lately I have been checking out my teeth for some reason the feel weird to me. I'll be honest I have mess up teeth and I grew up drinking a lot of soda mostly because it was cheaper than water and our tap water would make you sick or would be cut off. I also grew up puking a lot and I'm worried from all the acidic stuff possibly damaged my teeth like made the enamel go away but every time I go to the dentist get my xrays and looked at I would get told everything is good. I went to the dentist last month to get a lump on my gum checked out everything came back fine my xrays and my dentist looked at my gums and teeth I presume and said everything looks fine but for some reason I keep worrying about my teeth please tell me have any of you ever done this or am I just crazy.

Elen
08-02-19, 11:32
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen