PDA

View Full Version : Asthma

dodo
10-02-19, 05:43
Ok so I’ve befn doing ok. Been managing my aches and pains some days are better than others but I’ve been trying to be kind to myself when I have a blip.

Anyway I went to the nurse the other day to have a spirometry test. I had asthma as a child and never used an inhaler since my twenties. Only ever had as an adult a blue inhaler in case I needed it. This would usually be if I had been in contact with an allergen.

So anyway, I did the first breathing thing and my results were great. She said everything looked normal, top of the grey range for my age if anyone knows about spirometry. So I have the inhaler and sit back down and wait for it to work and then go back in. First slow blowing results looked similar so she said it was looking good. But then with the fast breath she said my results had slightly improved so diagnosed asthma. She said a normal person would not show improvement with the inhaler.

What I don’t understand is she told me that a blue inhaler can be given to anyone when they have a chest inflection etc to open up their aurways, so surely anyone’s lung capacity would change if they have an inhaler?
And how do they know it’s asrhma? Why not COPD or any other lung disease?

I was fine after the testing, but tonight I’ve woken up wheezy and I’m a little scared as I don’t understand asthma really. I’ve never taken an inhaler unless I’ve had really bad reactions to allergies so don’t really understand when I need it. She said for the most part I should be ok.

I went on asthma uk but got put off reading as the first thing that popped up was a story about someone dying from asthma! I mean really? I wanted some advice from a trusted site and this was the very first thing I saw!

Let me say that it’s litterally just a little bit of a tickle in my chest so I can breathe fine. But I guess it’s on my mind now.

MyNameIsTerry
10-02-19, 06:43
I think with that it would be more of a case you came in with symptoms or you already had treated asthma that wasn't responding (asthma can progress onto COPD in some people). They could pick COPD up in people already with asthma though but yes you are right in that they use this test more generally e.g. they use it before some surgery.

Yes, they dish out the Reliever inhalers for all sorts of things. Basically, if you go in with breathing issues you may get one to assist you whilst they sort something out. This can be hayfever, other allergies, even chest infections if the person needs some help. They just open up the airways.

The test you take after using your inhaler is called a reversibility test. There is a certain level of response that indicates asthma.

It sounds like your asthma is mild. I'm the same and after 30+ years of having asthma, and taking daily medication (Well, I did stop for months in some years), they decided my asthma had gone into remission for a while. It may come back. But because I don't get any wheezing, and I asked about all this because I was having the usual asthma clinic check up and mentioned I don't feel any different if I don't use my Preventer for months, so they decided it wasn't worth treating anymore.

dodo
10-02-19, 07:04
Another thing to note is that after I’d had this inhaler in the test (4 puffs of ventolin?) she asked me if I felt any different. I didn’t in my breathing but I started to feel a bit like I needed to cough and when I did it was a bit barky. I hadn’t had that prior to the inhaler? She told me the inhaler had Adrenalin in it and I did feel a bit hyper while I was sitting.

She told me I needed to get the blue inhaler just in case I needed it and mentioned respiratory distress. Now the local chemist was closed when I left so I haven’t managed to get it yet. So now I’m worried that I need it and don’t have it. I don’t want to have this on my mind all the time. Especially as I don’t reapoy understand it all. It’s just something else to add to my worries. And why in about twenty years this has resurfaced.

I only really get wheezy if I’m in contact with ah allergen and sometimes at night but I had thought this happened when I had some acid reflux.

I just can’t sleep. I’ve got a tickle on my chest and I’m worried I don’t have this damn inhaler!

---------- Post added at 06:48 ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 ----------

I think we cross posted MNIT

---------- Post added at 06:54 ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 ----------

Yes the reversibility showed improvement in the fast blow out test but the slow blow out was normal and she had thought everything was fine. My blow outs in all tests were the top range for my age. I was surprised I could manage them in all honesty. So I gave myself a pat on the back haha. They did make my chest hurt a lot though. But she said that was normal?

---------- Post added at 07:04 ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 ----------

The nurse also said the dr shouldn’t need to see me adain. Just to get this inhaler and would need an asthma review in about a year. What does the review entail? Do they just ask you how you are? I read on my notes that I only needed to be seen if my peak flow dropped below 350.
Also she took my SATS when we started the test and they were only 96. This didn’t sound very good though she didn’t say anything.
Sorry for so many questions. It’s just all in my head stopping me sleeping so I need to get it out.

MyNameIsTerry
10-02-19, 07:34
Oh yeah, asthma reviews are just box ticking exercises. I've been to several and all they do is weigh you, take your BP, perform a peak flow test and ask you if you still take your inhalers. They even ask you to bring your inhalers for some bizarre reason despite being able to see every prescription they've issued to you on their records. :shrug:

It just gets them a picture of your peak flow and those other factors.

Yes, some inhalers contain adrenaline that does that. Just the mist they produce can hit the back of the throat and make it tighten up slightly for a short period. When my anxiety was bad these inhalers gave me the jitters for a short while after taking them.

I understand, with anxiety we can worry about breathing anyway and when you have asthma you naturally focus on that and worry more. Breathing issues have plagued my anxiety from the start and it has taken me some time to understand the difference. I too worried about not having an inhaler or needing one and would carry it everywhere, even two of them "just in case", at times.

But what you need to remember is whilst she wants you to get one you have been fine all this time. That is not going to change because of what she has said. It may be prudent to carry one, and your asthma may have worsened over the year (I'm not saying it has, this is just for the next point), but it would have to be a lot worse to go from nothing to trouble so quickly or because of what she has said. That's where anxiety is the likely culprit and a slight delay won't change anything. Think of it this way, what if you had to reschedule that appointment back 2 weeks? You would still be walking around without it and I bet you wouldn't be worrying about not having it either.

It sounds like a chat with your GP is worth it. A question I would be asking is why you have been diagnosed with asthma yet only have a Reliever? There would normally be a Preventer which you take twice daily (some differ) so that it keeps the asthma under control so you don't need the blue Reliever.

Why were you asked to take a spirometry? Do you have some symptoms you asked them to investigate?

dodo
10-02-19, 09:01
Thank you so much, you’ve given me so much information.

I had a bit of wheezing at night on occasion and have been having shortness of breath. I think the gp did it more to put my mind at rest. I think she thought it was more related to anxiety.

And I absolutely get what you mean about the waiting. I had to rearrange the spirometry in the first place so no it didn’t get worse than it has been and to be honest I think a lot of it is just my level of fitness. But it’s difficult to work out the difference between asthma short of breath and just unfit short of breath when you don’t understand it.

I do get what you’re saying about the preventor though. But I have never had any medication for it other than a blue inhaler that I remember. When I was a child I remember vaguely having different ones but when you’re s child you don’t understand it do you. I remember vaugly some capsule things with powder in, unless I’m imagining that.
But since my teenage years I’ve never had anything other than a blue inhaler and as I say, I haven’t used them for about ten years. I only then needed them when I had hey fever or was in contact with fur which I’m allergic to.

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

I know when I initially spoke to the nurse I told her I was scared about having asthma and she told me not to be. But I had read that about dying from asthma and she said that was more people with brittle asthma. I’ve no idea what brittle asthma is.
I think the subject is very raw and new to me at the moment.
I just didn’t understand what she meant by the relievers not having any effect on normal people so these people wouldn’t show improvement in the reverse test. But then contradicting by saying it can improve anyone’s lung capacity if given (for colds flu etc). I guess I thought a person with asthma would be blowing below their range and then the pump would put them into normal range.

dodo
10-02-19, 23:37
Well I had these tests Friday. Felt fine most of Saturday and then today I’ve had a tickle in my chest and been coughing all day like my throat is tickle too. It won’t stop. If I hadn’t had this appointment I probably wouldn’t think anything of it but now I’m worried and I know it’s going to be a sleepless night again worrying if it’s asthma or just coincidence and maybe a cold or something instead.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-19, 02:41
Relievers are going to help people who have no breathing issues, but only when they have a breathing issue e.g. colds, flu, allergies, etc. That's likely what she meant.

Many years ago we had rotahalers. These are the ones you put a capsule in, turned it to break the capsule and inhaled the powder. They ditched them a long time ago in favour of the self actuated ones where you breath in and they trigger. I preferred the rotahalers, they were much smaller.

Yes, people die from asthma. Some will have illness and the asthma makes them more at risk just like with many chronic health conditions. But you have to remember the grading matters a lot because someone with more severe or complex asthmas will have higher risks. Given you have gone so many years yours sounds quite mild and they haven't even given you a daily Preventer.

I don't think the Reliver necessarily makes your capacity the same as someone without asthma but it's not so simple anyway as health comes into this. For instance, you could be as asthmatic who runs marathons so your lung capacity would likely be better than an obese non asthmatic who smokes and gets little exercise.

dodo
11-02-19, 04:22
Terrible nights sleep so far. Can’t stop this tickle in my chest. Don’t know if it’s coincidence or asthma. So cross I’ve got something else to worry about now.

---------- Post added at 04:22 ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 ----------

I feel so scared and lonely. Don’t want to wake anyone up. I’m sweating like nobody’s business now. Probably just me getting anxious about it. My chest is hurting. Can’t work out what it’s all from but my back is killing me if I sit up straight so probably muscular? Trying to fight the urge to cough as there’s nothing there when I do, it’s just dry.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-19, 04:37
Yes, any backache and your breathing can suffer for it. Likely muscular tension, it's surprising how much it can feel like it constricts your breathing.

Remember, you are no different to the day before you went for that appointment. The only difference now is that it is on your mind. You said before the appointment you were ok and it's only since going that this is happening.

It could be the reflux you mentioned. Still worth pursuing with the GP though. I'm surprised you haven't been asked to book back in with your GP as this is the norm. Maybe the nurse was a practitioner able to diagnose? If not, it should be back to your GP, a more senior nurse who is qualified to or even a pharmacist at the practice qualified to diagnose.

dodo
11-02-19, 04:45
Thank you, you’ve been so kind and full of information.
I don’t know why this tickle won’t go away though or what’s causing it. It’s definitely not something I’m imagining and it’s not anxiety. It’s like the irritating tickle you get with a cold cough. Maybe it’s a cold but now I’ve got an answer on the asthma, maybe it’s that. I just don’t know. Maybe it’s a reaction to the inhaler? Maybe I caught something at the surgery when having the test. Maybe I strained my lungs in the test.

---------- Post added at 04:45 ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 ----------

The nurse was a stalwart, senior nurse and qualified asthma nurse I believe.
She did say she didn’t think I needed to be seen by the dr again until I was called in for a routine asthma check. I do find it worrying though that I’m not being followed up nor have any medication or asthma plan that I keep reading about. But maybe my results were good enough for her to diagnose that I didn’t need any more treatment at the moment?

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-19, 04:59
No problem. I get how it is confusing with anxiety. Add in muscular tension which always causes breathing issues and it gets harder to understand why everything seems harder physically.

Any reaction to the inhaler would likely be quick and it would probably be gone or more prevalent by now. You won't have strained your lungs, they are built to cope with strenuous exercise. It is a test that makes you feel that way as they have you blowing out until you are changing colour!

It could be as simple as catching a cold or something in that surgery. I've just had a sore throat which became a throat infection for about 10 days but it wasn't that bad. Like a cold that never comes out properly. There will be plenty going around. But it could also be you need to drink more or have triggers around you like dust. Try drinking more water. It could be that reflux you mentioned so be wary of fluids that might make that worse for now if you need to be drinking a lot more.

Acid issues can make you cough. It's worth checking that out with your GP.

I'm unclear about your nurse because giving you a Reliever won't do much of anything until you need to use it. That's why they give us Preventers. She might think your asthmas is very mild, I'm not sure on when they don't bother to treat it as I've always been led to believe they do, but given you also have symptoms your GP should be following that up anyway.

Have you read about asthma plans on the NHS sites or Asthma UK by any chance? I've had mine over 30 years and never had anything unless I went to them with a problem (outside of the checks, these didn't even exist in my earlier years). The impression I get is they give out advice, leaflets, trigger information and suggestions about how to improve your asthma but that is not my experience of the NHS. My mother has had asthma for many years too and she has nothing different.

I think you need clarification and an answer to symptoms. If you have reflux, that needs sorting anyway. Maybe the nurse just looked at the referral for the test so has not considered the wider picture about why you were seeing your GP?

Whilst it's an obvious red rag to a bull for an anxiety sufferer try to rationalise it all. If you had more severe asthma you would really know about it and your results would be much different. Millions of us have asthma and go about our lives without much of a care everyday.

dodo
11-02-19, 07:06
Yes I read it on the bit of asthma uk I managed to read before it scared me.
I did read too that asthma can be made worse by hormones. I seeing the dr currently as a separate entity for issues surrounding my hormones. I wonder if that may have made things worse for me.
Feel rubbish this morning. My sleep has been dreadful and I’ve got to go to work now.

---------- Post added at 06:57 ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 ----------

Ps I had a look on my dr website and she is a registered practice nurse who is trained to deal with asthma advice amongst other things.
I initially went to the dr with a multitude of issues, including the shortness of breath when going up stairs etc. My fears at the time (and always have) centre red around my heart and I had been worried about angina or heart failure beings these things got worse when lying dibs in bed. Because it was concerning me and because I mentioned that sometimes when I went to bed at night I had some wheezing, she decided to send me for the spirometry. I haven’t had the wheezing at night for a while now. And it’s usually when I have some reflux.

---------- Post added at 07:06 ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 ----------

This tickle is mainly in my throat. It’s when I breathe in, like something is catching the back of my throat. There’s a little rustle /wheezing like it’s catching some phlegm. I don’t know if this is how asthma presents.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-19, 07:09
Then if your asthma has worsened telling you to use a Reliever when you need it isn't good enough as that doesn't treat the asthma, it's just to open the airways when you need some help. It's best to prevent the need for that by regular treatment.

It sounds to me like you probably need to start daily medication for it if your GP believes your symptoms point to asthma. Don't worry though, these in my experience don't cause the jitters and if you do notice anything it's more about your anxiety.

I had a feeling, I remember reading that on Asthma UK years ago and thinking what plan. They get you on inhalers and ensure they are working and you likely won't hear ever again unless you get an annual check up or have to go down there because you are having problems (often from things like chest infections after colds and some antibiotics are needed).

Yes, you get wheezing with asthma. That's one of the ways to pick up on it. But with it being more throat and reflux being in there too, and reflux is something I know little about, it's best to get the GP to agree everything is being treated as it should. Some with asthma get more mucus, I have had throat mucus issues for many years, and some don't according to people I've spoken to. I always thought it was the steroids as they can dry your throat out anyway.

dodo
11-02-19, 07:17
The coughing started when I was sitting in the surgery after the dose of the inhaler. Maybe the inhaler just loosened something up in my airways?
I’m going to call the surgery I think and ask what I should do.
I have an appointment this week with the gp but it’s a follow up on my hormonal issues and I don’t want those to get overlooked as they’re important too.
So tough.
My neck is killing me today too. Must have wrenched it.

---------- Post added at 07:17 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Thank you so much again. I would have been a worse mess if you hadn’t taken the time to explain to me.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-19, 07:20
That might just be the powder. It can hit the back of your throat and it feels like it has tightened up a bit.

Best to just follow it up with your GP. Either that appointment or another one if the receptionists want one.

Given what you are saying about how the last couple of days have been it's obvious you have a whole load of anxiety on top of this. If that reduced I suspect you would feel a lot better about this situation. And insomnia is no fun, it just makes you feel rough all day and unable to cope. It's a slog of a day. It will pass though so take it hour by hour. After a day of work you might just collapse tonight and recover.

That's ok. I got the impression you were very worried about asthma, others on here have posted in the same way, but it's something we can easily live with and they know so much more these days. When I was a kid GP's were very patchy but a younger one at our surgery had it too so he was great. I rarely ever had any issues with mine, it was just colds often came with chest infections so I needed some antibiotics but it wasn't bad. You will get used to it.

dodo
11-02-19, 07:23
I just had a thought. I remember when I’ve had the inhaler in the past it has given me a bark sometimes after using it. If it’s havibg a negative effect then what other options are there?
Also preventer medication, is that just a different colour inhaler?

---------- Post added at 07:23 ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 ----------

You’re right though, I can’t get the words, respiratory distress out of my head. I know it’s worrying me.

MyNameIsTerry
11-02-19, 07:27
I just had a thought. I remember when I’ve had the inhaler in the past it has given me a bark sometimes after using it. If it’s havibg a negative effect then what other options are there?
Also preventer medication, is that just a different colour inhaler?

There are various colours because there are various meds. Some people don't take to one and they try another. My GF had to try a few as none seemed to help her but she has now found a combined one which is working great.

Often the Preventer with a brown one which is called Qvar (you might know it from years ago as Becotide) but there are yellow, purple, etc. It can depend on your needs.

I wouldn't worry about that. If you go one them they are usually just AM/PM.

I used to have dry throats after them many a time. I think they tell you to gargle afterwards or drink, I think that's what my mum said as she always had problems with her throat after them.

Your anxiety has been spiked by this trigger. Work on reducing your anxiety whether it's distraction or concentration methods, relaxation , etc. People with severe asthma really know about it and your GP wouldn't have missed the distress and restricted breathing issues. Until testing is confirmed with various chest related problems GP's give out inhalers anyway as a way to assist the patient rather than wait for a proper diagnosis. Your GP didn't see a need for that which is a good sign and further evidence what your anxiety is telling you is false.

dodo
11-02-19, 07:32
It really is so frightening. I don’t know why I’m letting it bother me as clearly it’s been there lurking all my life. I’m just so frightened about complications from it and even going on medication in the first place is giving me anxiety as I hate to take medicines.
I’m worried it will impact on holidays etc and all the things I enjoy doing or shorten my life. I worry about missing my children when I think about my health. My love for them gets overwhelming and then I get myself all anxious and sad and on edge.

dodo
11-02-19, 12:48
I made it through work. Goodness knows how. Everyone has been asking me if I’m ok so I must look awful. I’m as white as a sheet and can’t get warm. Hopefully just because I’m tired.
But a colleague said to me, look at your nails they’re purple. That’s nothing new for me when I get cold. But then she started telling me about her daughter and how she got really purple nails and how she was worried she had something wrong with her heart or lungs. Well that was all I needed to start me worrying again.
I managed to get home but my chest and back, right at the bottom centre of your ribs where they part were really hurting. I can’t sit up straight because if I do I get intense pain right through that part of my chest. I’m assuming this is all muscular but it’s masking me gasp like I feel I can’t breathe. I can breathe though. I took my peek flow when I got home and it was 460 which is good for me so can’t be anything too worrying?
I’m just such a mess today.

dodo
13-03-19, 08:11
I’m really struggling with my anxiety over my breathing. I’m seeing the dr this week for a follow up for my gynaecological issues so will try to mention this too.
i just can’t seem to do anything, even go for a short walk without feeling like I can’t breathe properly. I’ve had issues with my breathing for a long time but I can’t seem to switch off the anxiety over this. In the morning when I wake up I feel really phlegmy in my throat which makes me feel like I’m constantly swallowing. This goes on for a while. I blew about 350 in my peek flow. My dr said they weren’t worried unless it dropped below 250. But for me even this small drop and the feeling like I can’t breathe, like something is restricting causes massive anxiety. I usually blow about 400. I don’t even know if this is normal. I can blow up to 430 on a really good day. I’m getting really hung up on it all. I’m starting to worrying that there is something seriously wrong with my heart and lungs. That something sinister is going on.