PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram and Chest Pains

Frankie23
04-09-07, 12:33
Ive been having really bad chest pains / twinges ive been on Citalopram for 5 weeks and im convinced its to do with my heart

anyone got any advice or reassurance?

x

nanny
04-09-07, 13:31
Hi Frankie

Are you getting really het up before getting these chest pains? if so it could just be Anxiety. I expect your now thinking oh they put everything down to that! but i have found that after years of suffering this it does give you awful physical symptoms.

I am on the same meds as you and have been for 9 years and i don't think thats caused my chest pains when i've had them. I tend to get them when being stressed. i have had them so bad over the years, and because there is a history of heart attacks in my family (mearly everyone one of my aunt's, uncles and mum have had open heart surgery) i had to go for an ECG but thankfully all was ok.

If you are extremely worrried go talk to your GP if only to get yourself checked out and have your mind put at rest.:flowers: :flowers:

neil1975
04-09-07, 16:42
Hi Frankie,

I too am on 10 mg Citalopram for 5 weeks and am getting chest pains, well more a constant pressure in the left side of my chest. I have also become more aware of my heartbeat in that time.
I went the A&E 2 weeks ago and had ECG, chest x-ray and blood test all normal. I just had slightly high blood pressure which was put down to anxiety.
I am also convinced it's my heart because of it's location although when I stretch my arms up and back I get a cracking in my sternum where the pressure is. My heart is the focus of my anxiety basically.
I believe it may be due to the constant tension which is causing the muscles in my chest and ribs to become restricted. It could be what is causing your discomfort too.
Also indigestion can cause those types of pains and twinges and is also a possible side effect of Citalopram. Have you been getting indigestion lately?
If your GP has already given you reasurrance and you have had tests then it is going to be a symptom of your anxiety.

Take Care,

Neil x

Frankie23
05-09-07, 12:35
i get worked up when i start feeling the pains come on then they subside then i keep waiting for them to come back which they do and it heightens my awareness!!!

im due a second review in 3 weeks time so il mention it to the doctor x

Tella
06-02-09, 11:30
Hi, I have been on Citalopram for 3 weeks and I am experiencing serious chest pain, right where my heart is, it radiates down my arm a bit and I my breathing is not as comfortable as usual. I really appreciate the previous posts, and any experience with this. I am in good health, early thirty's and either its this medication, or I have another problem, this has persisted for three days, I know what anxiety is like and I don't think this is anxiety. I also have had heart burn years ago and this doesn't seem like that either.... any help or support?... thank you