PDA

View Full Version : Twitching - need advice and help please

Ajack
11-02-19, 14:41
Hi everyone,
I have been reading posts for weeks now and finding lots of support on this site. Therefore I have gained the courage to post my worries and ask for some advice.

I am a 38 year old woman, before Christmas I had a bit of a anxious time regarding my son. This all calmed down and life went back to normal.

However around 6 weeks ago I noticed that I started twitching all over but mainly in my calves, feet and toes. Of course I googled and fell down the rabbit hole.

My twitches seem to pop all over legs e.g one second pop on calf then a bubble on knee etc. Some I can see and not feel. My feet feel like they are vibrating making my toes move. I only feel these at rest and they can be worse if I am sitting in a certain position. Also, if I sit on my legs the twitches seem better.

I have been at doctor and she said anxiety but rendered mw to a neurologist but unfortunately the waiting list in Scotland can be 6 months or more.

I have read loads on here, mostly reassuring, however some posts on here have also left me with lots of questions??

I know that ALS is failing not feeling but someone posted that sometimes twitches come first?

My questions to you experts out there I suppose are...

How long would it take if I did have ALS for the weakness etc to set in after twitches? Could it be weeks/months?

Also, would the twitches be constant with ALS?
For example if I keep my legs really still then they stop for a bit but as soon as I tense then relax a muscle then they pop again as if I have turned a switch on.

Epsom baths seem to calm twitches? Would this happen if it was the scary type?

I can see that many people say that time is the best reassurance but it is hard waiting and not knowing.

Sorry for the long post. I know lots of people on here have similar issues and I am grateful for any advice/ support that you can give me.

Thank you

Nicole0134
11-02-19, 15:23
No one can ever rule out every single disease that these symptoms could be linked to. But the likelihood of it being one of these diseases is so remote - I wouldn't worry (which is laughable coming from me as I worry about everything!) But in all seriousness - it will be linked to the anxiety. Trouble is - the more you worry about something it almost certainly isn't, the more anxious you will be become. No doubt a second symptom will kick in - maybe tingling? numbness? Will still be linked to the anxiety but getting worse due to increased worrying!!

Ajack
11-02-19, 15:27
Thanks,
When I'm thinking straight I can relate it to anxiety and I can see the same pattern in many anxiety suffers. However, doubt creeps in and I wonder how I can see such real twitches just because if my thoughts.

Nicole0134
11-02-19, 17:21
It's the physical reaction to your mental anxiety. Not sure of the sense behind creating us that way :shrug:, unlike the fight or flight reaction with extra adrenaline being produced - that sort of makes sense!

Ajack
11-02-19, 18:25
Thanks, my rational head tells me this then I spiral down again! I think it's that fact that everyone around me is just getting on with their life when I am constantly body checking etc.
Twitches are my only symptom but I cannot seem to put these into perspective.
Oh to live in a world before the internet :D

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:16 ----------

I suppose what I am looking for is for anyone to share similar experiences if twitching??

I think this would help me to not feel so isolated if others have similar symptoms

Nicole0134
11-02-19, 19:18
Yep - I twitch. Shoulder, thigh, calf, eye, lip. Comes and goes. I ignore now. Prefer not to have it but it's been going on for nearly a year so sort of used to it.

Ajack
11-02-19, 21:29
Thanks for your reply.
I know the feeling, just wish they would go away!

Ajack
15-02-19, 07:06
It is really getting me down now. As soon as I sit or lie in bed my muscles pop all over( mostly feet and calves)
However what is annoying me more is my big toe keeps moving on its on and won't stop!!
Is this really only anxiety?
Any help please, thanks

BlueIris
15-02-19, 07:09
Sometimes I have twitches that last for weeks. I promise, they're no big deal.

Ajack
15-02-19, 07:16
Thanks for the reply, I have had them for about 7 weeks now and they don't seem to be slowing down. I'm ok when I'm moving around but as soon as I rest they pop up everywhere, this fuels my stress levels more.
Worried that it is something serious.

BlueIris
15-02-19, 07:19
The chances of it being anything meaningful at all are vanishingly rare.

Keiragirl321
02-03-19, 17:03
I’ve been having twitches all over my body for about two weeks now , no other symptoms apart from the twitches, like you I Googled and als comes straight up and has got me so worried? Literally will go from arm to face to leg all over I feel so stressed about it feel like I’m having a mental breakdown 😭

Ajack
18-03-19, 18:06
I know it's a horrible feeling. I get them mostly in my legs but they do pop all over. Doctor has put me on waiting list for neurologist but it can take up to 9 months!
Kept thinking they would be gone by now. What do your twitches feel like kieragirl?

travelgirl77
18-03-19, 18:57
I get twitches everywhere. They can feel like pops and sometimes I can see an actual finger or toe move. I actually find solace in the fact that they are all over; that they do move everywhere as I think that points to something benign or more benign. Sometimes I get a hotspot where I notice a twitch more often, but I know I have been twitching for months if not a year.

I also notice my dad twitches his fingers a lot and has for years; my husband twitches when falling asleep, as does my son.

If your doctor really and truly felt that this was something nefarious you would not be on a 9 month waiting list.

Murphy93
08-12-19, 19:14
Hi both

Just wondering how you are are and if the twitches ever stopped for you ?

I have had twitching all over for almost a year now and still going strong .

The anxiety is high tonight any advice would be fantastic as we all know my worst fear :( x

LF87
08-12-19, 22:21
I am always twitching and also get it in my calves and toes a lot. I had a really embarrassing one in my cheek a while ago which lasted a week or so off and on. I really think twitching is one of the most common anxiety symptoms. I am always tensed up without realising which obviously strains your muscles, don't sleep great, and worry excessively. It's all cause for twitches. Try not to worry, I think about 90% of people here have posted about twitches and nothing ever came of it! It's very common x

Murphy93
08-12-19, 22:40
Thanks LF87, comforting to know so many people on here have experienced them at some point, my anxiety seems to rocket on Sunday nights for some reason and I always start thinking irrationally .

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me,

LF87
08-12-19, 22:45
Mine does too on a Sunday! Just ignore the twitches, they're nothing to worry about. I have calf twitches as I type but I know it's probably because I'm a bit tired and stressy x

BackRoads
09-12-19, 14:57
I've had this for over 3 years. I know anxiety fuels it, but I wish there were something we could do to stop it......or at least significantly reduce it. Anyone out there have it go away eventually? Any good remedies?

Murphy93
09-12-19, 20:08
Wow 3 years I feel for you! Wish I could really just stop worrying about it! It’s the most bizarre thing but anxiety definitely fuels it!! It’s horrible I have heard magnesium helps

JulieJay92
09-12-19, 20:24
after 23 years they have inally said it is caused by having low magnesium which cant be helped due 2 having no2 constant with my IBS

BackRoads
09-12-19, 23:38
after 23 years they have inally said it is caused by having low magnesium which cant be helped due 2 having no2 constant with my IBS

How did they come to that conclusion?

JulieJay92
10-12-19, 11:42
regular blood tests over the years and as tthey get tested in local hospital the gp phoned mr to go straight to a&e to get transfusion, 5 days later it was all out of my system

JulieJay92
10-12-19, 11:43
i other words what i take in im losing with the ibs

BackRoads
10-12-19, 19:55
regular blood tests over the years and as tthey get tested in local hospital the gp phoned mr to go straight to a&e to get transfusion, 5 days later it was all out of my system

Interesting. The reason I ask is I have read that even if blood tests are normal, it isn't a reliable test for a magnesium deficiency. I had my blood tested, and levels were normal, but again, I have read that I may still have a deficiency. In your case, it was obviously pretty clear.

JulieJay92
11-12-19, 12:03
evenhad a transfusion done in a&e and blood tests that night showed it went up, 5 days later blood tests said it had gone back done to what it was before transfusion

JulieJay92
11-12-19, 12:05
so my own dr said it was due to my ibs and was happy it had stayed at .35 for over 4 years so nothing to get concerned about unless it drops done to .1