PDA

View Full Version : Numb Chin Syndrome - Anyone?

gailveronica
05-02-19, 17:04
Hi, y'all!

I was here a few weeks ago with a sarcoma-type scare. My doc assured me the ultrasound said my itty bitty lump behind my *right* knee is homogenous, hyperechoic, and avascular. It's movable and squishy. It's clearly a lipoma -- BUT THE INTERNET SAYS I HAVE SARCOMA SO CLEARLY THIS IS WHAT I WORRY ABOUT. My doc said she's checking with insurance to see if an MRI can be done, to put my mind at ease. That's still in the process as of now.

Let's put that aside for a moment -- my *left* leg has been numb/tingly on and off for about 4 months now. It started in my shin then moved up to my knee / the front of my thigh. My doc says it's unrelated and due to my chronic lower- / mid- back issues. Clearly. Clearly. That is what it is. I probably pinched a nerve and I am clearly suffering from tingling due to the nerve pinch / lower back pain. New office chair, new mattress, many reasons why this could be happening. My doc ordered an x-ray which I will get tomorrow, and we go from there.

I also have tingling in my face --- when I think about it. So I google. Well guys, don't do that... because numb chin syndrome means you'll be dead within months, of course. Is it just my chin? No. It's my entire face. And it's just intermittent tingling here and there. Cheeks, chin, jaw, forehead... Probably nothing - maybe sinus / migraine / anxiety related. However...

I'm convinced that I have sarcoma in my right leg (again, itty bitty, 14 mm x 13 mm x 9 mm) that has metastasized into my spine (?) and into my jaw (?) or maybe even, for extra fun, into my brain (!).

When I search sarcoma forums, I don't see anything uplifting. I see tingling. I see nerve issues. I see lumps that were misdiagnosed at ultrasound...

...I'm just kind of a wreck, y'all. My mind goes in about a million directions.

I decided to come here instead of going back to Dr Google.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Going down the rabbit hole is dangerous. The internet is a scary place.

I asked my doctor "do you know much about sarcoma?"

She replied "no. I don't."

I said, "do you know who does? the internet."

:shrug:

utrocket09
05-02-19, 17:14
Hi, y'all!

I was here a few weeks ago with a sarcoma-type scare. My doc assured me the ultrasound said my itty bitty lump behind my *right* knee is homogenous, hyperechoic, and avascular. It's movable and squishy. It's clearly a lipoma -- BUT THE INTERNET SAYS I HAVE SARCOMA SO CLEARLY THIS IS WHAT I WORRY ABOUT. My doc said she's checking with insurance to see if an MRI can be done, to put my mind at ease. That's still in the process as of now.

Let's put that aside for a moment -- my *left* leg has been numb/tingly on and off for about 4 months now. It started in my shin then moved up to my knee / the front of my thigh. My doc says it's unrelated and due to my chronic lower- / mid- back issues. Clearly. Clearly. That is what it is. I probably pinched a nerve and I am clearly suffering from tingling due to the nerve pinch / lower back pain. New office chair, new mattress, many reasons why this could be happening. My doc ordered an x-ray which I will get tomorrow, and we go from there.

I also have tingling in my face --- when I think about it. So I google. Well guys, don't do that... because numb chin syndrome means you'll be dead within months, of course. Is it just my chin? No. It's my entire face. And it's just intermittent tingling here and there. Cheeks, chin, jaw, forehead... Probably nothing - maybe sinus / migraine / anxiety related. However...

I'm convinced that I have sarcoma in my right leg (again, itty bitty, 14 mm x 13 mm x 9 mm) that has metastasized into my spine (?) and into my jaw (?) or maybe even, for extra fun, into my brain (!).

When I search sarcoma forums, I don't see anything uplifting. I see tingling. I see nerve issues. I see lumps that were misdiagnosed at ultrasound...

...I'm just kind of a wreck, y'all. My mind goes in about a million directions.

I decided to come here instead of going back to Dr Google.

---------- Post added at 12:04 ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 ----------

Going down the rabbit hole is dangerous. The internet is a scary place.

I asked my doctor "do you know much about sarcoma?"

She replied "no. I don't."

I said, "do you know who does? the internet."

:shrug:

I didn't know Dr. Google went to medical school.

gailveronica
05-02-19, 17:19
I didn't know Dr. Google went to medical school.

Dr Google got her medical degree online ;)

Phantasia
05-02-19, 18:20
You sound like me -- and I'm sure a lot of other people on here! When I get weird symptoms pop up in different places, I use my amazing, human, pattern-seeking brain to link them ... invariably that's "cancer that's metastasized" into different spots.

Recent example? Chest pain was the first symptom, then left sided numbness/tingling, then trouble swallowing/food getting stuck in my throat. What did I "diagnose"? Esophageal cancer that had metastasized into my spine.

Because I'm not in a super panicky state at the moment, I can view that fear as far-fetched. But in the depth of an HA crisis? It sounds like it's the most likely scenario!

gailveronica
05-02-19, 19:32
You sound like me -- and I'm sure a lot of other people on here! When I get weird symptoms pop up in different places, I use my amazing, human, pattern-seeking brain to link them ... invariably that's "cancer that's metastasized" into different spots.

Recent example? Chest pain was the first symptom, then left sided numbness/tingling, then trouble swallowing/food getting stuck in my throat. What did I "diagnose"? Esophageal cancer that had metastasized into my spine.

Because I'm not in a super panicky state at the moment, I can view that fear as far-fetched. But in the depth of an HA crisis? It sounds like it's the most likely scenario!

Gosh! Exactly! My doctor says nothing is related, but clearly, in my mind, ALL the things are related! Why did I find a lump (lipoma) at the same time I have tingling (pinched nerve) at the same time I'm super sleepy (anxiety-induced insomnia) at the same time..... you know the rest. :blush:

gailveronica
06-02-19, 19:26
Okay so I got my x-ray last night and the doctor called me this morning; I have slight degeneration of the disc which can cause nerve compression which can in turn cause tingling in one or both legs.

Of course, reading online I see that tumors can't be seen in x-rays many times, but my doctor assures me that nothing else seemed out of the ordinary, so...

I guess I'm back to believing my doctor. My spine is fine (other than age attacking me), my lump is just lipoma, my facial tingling is just anxiety... and I guess I have to just... let it go. Trust.

Trust is the HARDEST thing!

Double_Rainbow
07-02-19, 02:33
Sarcoma would be growing. Not "fake growing" but real undeniably growing. Trust your doc, it is a lipoma.

gailveronica
07-02-19, 18:11
Sarcoma would be growing. Not "fake growing" but real undeniably growing. Trust your doc, it is a lipoma.

You are 100% right! It is a lipoma. I'm.... at this point.... 95% convinced. :whistles:

textsfromthemoon
08-02-19, 08:11
If it makes you feel any better I've dealt with the on and off face tingling thing for almost 2 years now, its not as bad as it used to be but when I first started getting it I would freak the heck out and make it so much worse, I was convinced I had to have some kind of serious illness or nerve issue, I worked myself up so badly that I was experiencing it almost every day. Then eventually over time as I worked on my anxiety and recognizing my symptoms, I began to realize how the tingling would magically stop sometimes for hours, days, weeks at a time, usually when I was busy or distracted with other things. What you're describing is exactly how anxiety works, not a disease, diseases don't just come and go as they please, but anxiety certainly can!
Now I only get the tingling feeling in my face when I'm anxious about something, the best tip I can give is stop all visits with Dr. Google, I too read all the scary things about face tingling but trust me I have experienced this symptom since 2017 and I am still very much alive :D Always remember that Dr.Google is a quack :noangel:

gailveronica
08-02-19, 13:53
If it makes you feel any better I've dealt with the on and off face tingling thing for almost 2 years now, its not as bad as it used to be but when I first started getting it I would freak the heck out and make it so much worse, I was convinced I had to have some kind of serious illness or nerve issue, I worked myself up so badly that I was experiencing it almost every day. Then eventually over time as I worked on my anxiety and recognizing my symptoms, I began to realize how the tingling would magically stop sometimes for hours, days, weeks at a time, usually when I was busy or distracted with other things. What you're describing is exactly how anxiety works, not a disease, diseases don't just come and go as they please, but anxiety certainly can!
Now I only get the tingling feeling in my face when I'm anxious about something, the best tip I can give is stop all visits with Dr. Google, I too read all the scary things about face tingling but trust me I have experienced this symptom since 2017 and I am still very much alive :D Always remember that Dr.Google is a quack :noangel:

You are totally right. It's so odd - 3 weeks ago I was hyper-focused on my newly-found lump. Once that was called benign, I was hyper-focused on my left leg tingling/numbness. Once the spinal x-ray came back with a reason for it, I became hyper-focused on my chin numbness and it seems to be happening 24/7 now. I know that it's not, and I know that it's because everything else is checking out okay and I need ("need" lol) something else to focus on, and now that I've chosen my numb chin, that's the route I'm taking. Our poor brains work so hard! Gosh we could all use a day of bedrest and cheesy films, right? :blush:

gailveronica
11-02-19, 15:27
First of all, don't google it.

Second of all, anyone have numbness/tingling in the face/chin/lips (one-sided) nearly constantly? Mine started more often when I began thinking about it and googling (again, don't). But while the internet says this is nearly always an "ominous" symptom of metastatic cancer (sigh) I see other posts here where people say "I BEEN TINGLIN FOR YEARS AND I AM FINE" so...

...just wondering, y'all, are you still fine? :)

New17
11-02-19, 21:23
Hi, not so much my chin but Iv had tingling in my right arm and leg for over 2 years....it went for about 7 months and it just started back last week same place, same serverity, it’s hasn’t caused weakness or me to fall but it does feel odd sometimes to walk on, it comes and goes in severity all day long sometimes barely there sometimes more strong. I am literally at my wits end Iv had an MRI which was for chronic headaches about 8 months ago and the Dr tells me that was absolutely perfect. I’m down a hole at the moment that I have MS but my go says no as it would of shown something up on the MRI, I’m not so sure though!
I’m scares me most people get tingling with anxiety all over mines always in the same place. I dont know a lot about MS jus what I’ve chosen to google but I don’t know if I am presenting with it, as it’s hasnt got any worse at all over 2 years, it totally went away for 7 months and came back in the same place. No new symptoms or worsening of old ones. I’m really scared I have MS and it would be the more servere one without remissions.

gailveronica
11-02-19, 21:37
Hi, not so much my chin but Iv had tingling in my right arm and leg for over 2 years....it went for about 7 months and it just started back last week same place, same serverity, it’s hasn’t caused weakness or me to fall but it does feel odd sometimes to walk on, it comes and goes in severity all day long sometimes barely there sometimes more strong. I am literally at my wits end Iv had an MRI which was for chronic headaches about 8 months ago and the Dr tells me that was absolutely perfect. I’m down a hole at the moment that I have MS but my go says no as it would of shown something up on the MRI, I’m not so sure though!
I’m scares me most people get tingling with anxiety all over mines always in the same place. I dont know a lot about MS jus what I’ve chosen to google but I don’t know if I am presenting with it, as it’s hasnt got any worse at all over 2 years, it totally went away for 7 months and came back in the same place. No new symptoms or worsening of old ones. I’m really scared I have MS and it would be the more servere one without remissions.

MS would definitely have shown in the MRI - I was tested for it (and thought to have it at one point) due to lesions on the brain. If you had MS, it would show through the MRI and the doc would order a lumbar puncture for further testing.

Mine is on the left side of my face, around my lips/nose/chin/cheek/jaw - and also down the front of my left thigh, though I think that's due to degenerative spinal issues.

New17
11-02-19, 21:47
MS would definitely have shown in the MRI - I was tested for it (and thought to have it at one point) due to lesions on the brain. If you had MS, it would show through the MRI and the doc would order a lumbar puncture for further testing.

Mine is on the left side of my face, around my lips/nose/chin/cheek/jaw - and also down the front of my left thigh, though I think that's due to degenerative spinal issues.

Funny you should say that as I’m due a mri of my neck, I wasn’t able to have one as I’m pregnant at the moment, I suffer from chronic headaches and somewhat of a stiff neck and the Dr is now thinking this is where it is all coming from. I never really have pain though just sensations that what makes me think this isn’t a neck/spine issue. The Dr seems to think the pregnancy has kicked off all this nerve thing again but dosnt really have an explanation for why it was there before that for over a year!!

I did have abit on tingling on my lips yesterday and day before but I honestly think that was anxiety as I never had it before and I’d been reading so much about MS and that the tingling normally starts and then spreads out before turning more into a numbness causing disability and I was just waiting for that to happen more than anything! It seems to of calmed down abit today touch wood!!
Did they say what your spine issue was? Do u have pain?

gailveronica
12-02-19, 14:11
Funny you should say that as I’m due a mri of my neck, I wasn’t able to have one as I’m pregnant at the moment, I suffer from chronic headaches and somewhat of a stiff neck and the Dr is now thinking this is where it is all coming from. I never really have pain though just sensations that what makes me think this isn’t a neck/spine issue. The Dr seems to think the pregnancy has kicked off all this nerve thing again but dosnt really have an explanation for why it was there before that for over a year!!

I did have abit on tingling on my lips yesterday and day before but I honestly think that was anxiety as I never had it before and I’d been reading so much about MS and that the tingling normally starts and then spreads out before turning more into a numbness causing disability and I was just waiting for that to happen more than anything! It seems to of calmed down abit today touch wood!!
Did they say what your spine issue was? Do u have pain?

I do have back pain (lower) and degenerative disc (it just comes with age) that is most likely causing the tingling down the front of my thigh.

As far as numb chin goes, it's a mess - looking it up on google it says it's definitely (almost always) a sign of metastatic cancer that's spread to the nerve. My ear also feels full and last night I was a mess. I asked my doctor for an MRI but she said to wait for the neurologist to order it because she wants to make sure the appropriate MRI scan is ordered. It makes sense, but I'm literally going crazy. I'm making myself sick. I'm not seeing anyone with a numb chin/neck/jaw that hasn't turned into something sinister. It gives people 5 months left to live. I'm having a really hard time.

New17
12-02-19, 16:13
Aw I really feel for you, Iv been ther believe me, I had a headache for 18 months still not 100% over it, I when I mean headache I mean every single min of every day, when I wake up till I went to sleep. I was 1mil percent convinced it was a brain tumour. Iv also had vertigo, full ear, I have tinnitus in one ear, eye floaters and also this tingling! I had to wait 16 months to see a neurologist, who checked over my ct and mri and I was diagnosed with new daily persistent headache which is so rare and I had read about it and totally dismissed it as I was so certain it was a brain tumour. So always keep in mind even when your so so certain there still can be a begin reason! My headaches have settled since still get them but not daily that may be due to my pregnancy hormones or as my anxiety towards them has settled I’m not sure!

But again Ive gone from that hole and jumped right back into the MS one, same as I you I can’t see that it would be anything else, Iv never ever met or read about someone who has had this constant tingling/numbness feeling in there right for the course of two years on and off! Like mine dosnt go away it there 24/7 just different severities! It even feel like I’m walking funny sometimes! Even when I read on here about people I can rationalise and think that dosnt sound like anything sinister but with mine I am convinced, it’s absolutely horrible, my baby is arriving in 15 weeks I should be so excited and I’m not I’m just totally consumed with me being diagnosed with MS soon and my whole motherhood journey Iv been dreaming of will be taken off me just like that!

gailveronica
13-02-19, 19:56
The reason I'm so worried is because when you type in "numb chin" into google, you get all of these scholarly articles that claim that a numb chin, if not due to dental reasons, is almost always due to metastatic cancer settling in the facial nerves.

It's terrifying.

For me, it's my chin / lip / jaw / cheek on the left side of my face. The same side I have leg numbness as well, but they could be unrelated (or, if related, due to something systemic like MS).

I can't find anything where someone is like "I had a numb chin and I feel FINE now!" it's all "I had a numb chin and 3 months later was terminally ill because it was metastatic breast / lung / lymph cancer!"

How does one cope, when their fear is so real?

Elen
14-02-19, 08:09
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

New17
14-02-19, 11:15
The reason I'm so worried is because when you type in "numb chin" into google, you get all of these scholarly articles that claim that a numb chin, if not due to dental reasons, is almost always due to metastatic cancer settling in the facial nerves.

It's terrifying.

For me, it's my chin / lip / jaw / cheek on the left side of my face. The same side I have leg numbness as well, but they could be unrelated (or, if related, due to something systemic like MS).

I can't find anything where someone is like "I had a numb chin and I feel FINE now!" it's all "I had a numb chin and 3 months later was terminally ill because it was metastatic breast / lung / lymph cancer!"

How does one cope, when their fear is so real?

I can’t really answer that question I wish I could, one min I feel rational and the next min I’m in a spin again, this is literally taken over my life, it impacts on my family and that makes me feel even worse, I should be looking forward to my baby arriving and all I’m thinking about is how I’m probably going to have this diagnosis and my life will be over.

It’s promising though your neurologist dosnt think MS now, and I’m sure when you see him again he can settle your mind about the cancer worries. My tingling is all down one side aswel so I can see your worry and mine has been around for so long I keep thinking it the worst MS you can have the ones without remissions that just gets worse. My GP says as it been around for 2 years he would expect me to be abit worse by now if it was that and also something would of shown in my mri scan....I managed to get a copy of the scan yesterday and everything was normal except it’s said “no significant abnormalities found in grey and white matter” This has now sent me into a panic mode thinking why didn’t it just say normal why significant like something was found but it was significant to headaches (the reason I was refered for the scan) I keep thinking If my referal said tingling then the radiologist would of put two and two together! But I don’t even know if anything was found and that’s just terms that they use!! It’s horrible I wish I could give you advice but I’m in the same place as you!

Fishmanpa
14-02-19, 11:21

Since you've been cleared by medical professionals that used science to determine the source of your symptoms, it would seem the logical solution would be to treat your anxiety, stop Googling and scaring the poo out of yourself! :doh:

Positive thoughts

gailveronica
14-02-19, 13:43
Since you've been cleared by medical professionals that used science to determine the source of your symptoms, it would seem the logical solution would be to treat your anxiety, stop Googling and scaring the poo out of yourself! :doh:

Positive thoughts

The issue is, there's been no testing on my numb face / numb leg yet. It takes a long time to get into a neurologist, so the only testing I've had is regular CBC and an ultrasound on my leg lump, as well as an x ray on my lower lumbar. Nothing at all for the numbness/tingling in my face. While I'm sure the lipoma is just a lipoma at this point and did not spread to my chin/leg, I'm worried about the tingling happening as there has been no testing - when I asked my doctor for an MRI she said to wait for the neurologist to order it, as he may want specific images or a specific imaging center (some are picky, apparently). :shrug: