PDA

View Full Version : New job offer health questionnaire and withdrawal

worriedsoul
12-02-19, 18:45
Hello
I have been offered a job subject to satisfactory references. I don’t know if this just means job references.

They also enclosed a health questionnaire which states a medical may be required if they need more information.

I answered the question about mental illness and wrote anxiety - i also wrote it is an ongoing issue and put treated with medication and very stable.

There was another question about time off sick in the last 3 years and i declared 1 month sick mid 2017 and reason put as stress since that’s what my doctors note said.

I did not fill in the equal opportunities questions regarding disabilities.

I am worried now they will withdraw the job offer due to mental health or sick record.

Has anyone ever had a job withdrawn because of health questionnaire?

I am worried cos I’ve already resigned from current job

whispershadow
12-02-19, 20:09
I don't think they'll withdraw your job offer :hugs:

nomorepanic
12-02-19, 20:11
I thought it was illegal now to ask for medical info - I would check it out

Midnight-mouse
12-02-19, 20:44
I have never lost a job opportunity once I’ve filled out those forms, I have however been questioned if I ‘disclosed my issues’ on my questionnaire and very much got the feeling that if I hadn’t that would of been grounds for termination of my probationary contract as I was having a bad episode at the time in question.

Best of luck in your new job!

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scass
12-02-19, 20:44
I have completed something like this and also mentioned my anxiety & treatment. I did get the job.

They would have to give you a very very good reason not to offer the job based on your answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nomorepanic
12-02-19, 20:48
Yes I was right:

Dealing with questions about your health

Before they offer you a job, an employer isn’t generally allowed to ask you questions about your health or disability - including sickness absence. They can ask questions about whether you can do essential parts of the job - like asking if there's anything preventing you from lifting if the job involves lifting.

You don't have to say anything about your disability when applying unless you need adjustments made in the recruitment or interview process. If you do tell your employer about a disability they can't refuse to give you the job because of your disability.

They could turn you down if your disability means you can't do the job but only if they first consider all of the adjustments that could be made to support you to do the job.

You won’t be able to take action about discrimination just because you were asked questions that shouldn’t have been asked. The EHRC can take action so you could report it to them (https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/how-report-questions-about-your-health-or-disability-you-are-offered-job).

worriedsoul
12-02-19, 21:12
Thanks everyone

MyNameIsTerry
13-02-19, 03:18
Yes I was right:

Dealing with questions about your health

Before they offer you a job, an employer isn’t generally allowed to ask you questions about your health or disability - including sickness absence. They can ask questions about whether you can do essential parts of the job - like asking if there's anything preventing you from lifting if the job involves lifting.

You don't have to say anything about your disability when applying unless you need adjustments made in the recruitment or interview process. If you do tell your employer about a disability they can't refuse to give you the job because of your disability.

They could turn you down if your disability means you can't do the job but only if they first consider all of the adjustments that could be made to support you to do the job.

You won’t be able to take action about discrimination just because you were asked questions that shouldn’t have been asked. The EHRC can take action so you could report it to them (https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/advice-and-guidance/how-report-questions-about-your-health-or-disability-you-are-offered-job).

There are some exceptions to this but once the offer is made, as in the OP's case, they are within their rights to ask:

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/legal-rights/discrimination-at-work/applying-for-jobs/#.XGOHrvZ2vIU

Even with this legislation it's not easy to prove. Employers will be turning people down due to factors such as age and it's very hard to prove unless you know the inside thinking since they will just tell you something else.

It's nice to try to force employers but I doubt anyone has a clue how many are turned down due to race, age, sexuality, etc. The burden of proof can be hard and now you have to pay for the tribunal up front...

Ruby77
15-02-19, 20:42
I work in HR and medical questionnaires are standard procedure when offered a role. They are more to ensure the employer offers the correct adjustments and offers any support required.

They won't withdraw the offer. Well done on the new role!

worriedsoul
16-02-19, 18:41
Have not had a response from them since sending the forms 1st class on Monday.

No news is good news I suppose!