PDA

View Full Version : Nalgeria Fowleri from cleaning grease trap at work

NervousSubject
12-02-19, 19:24
I'm at work right now and I'm about to go to the hospital. Today I was tasked with cleaning the grease trap in the rotisserie section. It was disgusting and smelled horrible and now I'm afraid I might have accidentally inhaled a speck of old grease water from the trap and I'm going to die in a few days from Nalgeria Fowleri aka Brain eating amoeba. Please help me I need to go to the hospital.

BlueIris
12-02-19, 19:25
You need to get your anxiety under control.

NervousSubject
12-02-19, 19:30
Everywhere I've read, it sounds like the grease trap is a perfect environment, it's a little warm, its wet, its grease mixed with tap water

nomorepanic
12-02-19, 19:31
The chances are absolutely miniscule

NervousSubject
12-02-19, 19:34
I'm paralyzed with fear right now

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

I'm going to die at 24

BlueIris
12-02-19, 19:36
This is staggeringly rare, it's a condition that shows up fewer than 8 times a year across the entire USA.

NancyW
12-02-19, 19:37
I'm paralyzed with fear right now

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

I'm going to die at 24

Where is the world is this coming from? WHO gets brain eating amoeba? Why why why would you jump to this conclusion? ?

NervousSubject
12-02-19, 19:41
Where is the world is this coming from? WHO gets brain eating amoeba? Why why why would you jump to this conclusion? ?

It is real. People HAVE died from it.

nomorepanic
12-02-19, 19:58
You are not going to die from it. You would have to literally shove the stuff up your nose and breathe it is for a prolonged amount of time and that is ONLY if it even had the virus to give you it.

Your HA is making you think irrationally

NancyW
12-02-19, 19:59

123 cases in the US since 1962.

That's 2 people per year out of
331,195,364. (2019 US population)

You should get your affairs in order.

NervUs
13-02-19, 01:20

HOw many have gotten it from a grease trap? And from a possible speck of water up the nose?

Your brain is latching onto a story you heard and absolutely GALLOPING with it.

Do you have any tools for countering the stories you tell yourself?

Do not go to the hospital!!!

Fishmanpa
13-02-19, 01:37
The mind is truly remarkable and capable of mind boggling thoughts and things :huh:

Positive thoughts

NervousSubject
13-02-19, 14:40
Well, my friend who's a big science/ecology nerd ended up saving the day, as she's aware of N.Fowleri and pretty much told me its impossible to get it from cleaning the grease trap. Saying that the amoeba is usually only seen in warm untreated freshwater.

However what still trips me out though is the fact that from what I read, even though very few people actually get sick from it, the N.Fowleri amoeba is apparently very common, and that whats still freaking me out.

MyNameIsTerry
13-02-19, 15:52
You are thinking the wrong way there. If it is common yet infection rates are rare that tells us it's hard to catch. It lives in places people swim yet they haven't been catching it all these decades.

If it was rare to find yet the infection rates mapped more closely to it's prevalence in nature it would indicate it's easier to catch.

paranoid-viking
13-02-19, 19:04
I'm at work right now and I'm about to go to the hospital. Today I was tasked with cleaning the grease trap in the rotisserie section. It was disgusting and smelled horrible and now I'm afraid I might have accidentally inhaled a speck of old grease water from the trap and I'm going to die in a few days from Nalgeria Fowleri aka Brain eating amoeba. Please help me I need to go to the hospital.

PLEASE DO NOT bother the staff at the E.R room with your overt the top completely outlandish paranoia about "brain eating amoeba". This is bad and taking away attention from genuinely needy people who needs medical attention, like people who suffered an acute heart attack and things like that. What you need is therapy for your extreme anxiety. Are you seeking out help for your anxiety? And if so, what? And iof not, why not? I am not trying to be mean to you; but being a hypocondriac is no excuse to be selfish and steal time away from genuinly needy people at the hospital.

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Well, my friend who's a big science/ecology nerd ended up saving the day, as she's aware of N.Fowleri and pretty much told me its impossible to get it from cleaning the grease trap. Saying that the amoeba is usually only seen in warm untreated freshwater.

However what still trips me out though is the fact that from what I read, even though very few people actually get sick from it, the N.Fowleri amoeba is apparently very common, and that whats still freaking me out.

You are googling to much. If I stayed in the same house as you I would disconnect your Internet connection and demanded that you go seek help for your anxiety. Or at least that the net would stay doscpnnected until you seeked help for your anxiety.

Come to think of it; if there is a group who seriously needs a "digital detox" it is hypocondriacs.

Yu DO NOT need to go to a hospital. You need to go to see a therapist to treat your anxiety. And perhaps you need a digital detox aswell.

---------- Post added at 20:04 ---------- Previous post was at 19:54 ----------

Yeah, it is so common that 2 people in a world of 7 billion people get it every year. Extremely common. Should be considered a global epidemic on a grand scale by the United Nation(disclaimer:irony). Seek help for your anxiety, please!

NervousSubject
14-04-19, 13:15
It happened again yesterday :P I was tasked with cleaning the grease trap again....And while I was cleaning the disgusting grease basket in the soap section of 3 bay sink in the back, I could have sworn some of the soapy water mixed with the disgusting chicken debris (skin, bones, fat) might have splashed on my face and could have gotten up my nose.....Is there any risk of this happening?

I wouldn't have bothered you guys again, but last night I had a very bad dream with tons of death omens...and it freaked me out.

nomorepanic
14-04-19, 13:21
Re-read the replies again - you had lots of reassurance

Fishmanpa
14-04-19, 13:21
might have splashed on my face and could have gotten up my nose

You would have known :whistles: And it doesn't matter if it did :shrug:

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
14-04-19, 18:50
Get a bloody grip man.

You're being ridiculous.