PDA

View Full Version : Sucesss.....I'm hopefull!!

Purdybird
15-01-05, 18:58
Success possibly….. although I don't want to tempt fate too quickly!

I just wanted to post a quick message to let everyone know that things definitely do get better never ever give up hope.

I am not saying that I have had the problems that some on this forum have suffered, I did not become housebound etc ( although the thought did cross my mind at one point )but over the past three weeks something really strange has happened. Before Xmas I was getting myself worked up again and into a tizzy, putting too much pressure on myself as usual, about visiting friends and family and fearing the “ I’m going to make a fool of myself or die suddenly on their floor of a heart attack syndrome” But when I actually had to visit my friends or when Xmas day actually arrived - I SURVIVED!!!!! And I felt really calm, too calm and it felt very strange! It was bizarre, but I felt really relaxed and wait for it………even enjoyed myself!!!!!!!

Just lately my main worry is being anxious about not being anxious - if that makes sense. I really don’t want to tempt fate, as I feel really in control for the first time in ages. I have been doing loads of reading, really gathering as much info on anxiety as possible ( the fight and flight symptoms especially )and have really tried to instil into my stupid over active, paranoid, anxious brain, that what I am feeling are normal bodily functions, the light-headedness, ectopic heartbeats, heart flutters etc are all caused by my anxiety, they WILL NOT HURT ME!!!!!!!!!!, however much they rear their ugly head. Nobody has ever died of a panic attack. One particular paragraph I found which helped me enormously was ( put into my own word for copyright reasons ) “ The problem with panic attacks is that they occur when there is no obvious physical threat there at all. Your body is reacting as though it was about to be attacked when in reality it is not. In other words it is a false alarm. It is annoying that is all….it is annoying like a smoke detector which goes of at the wrong time or like a burglar alarm that goes of because of a cat, or even more annoying the car alarm that is triggered by the wind. These are all alarms that can be triggered when there is in fact no danger. The problem with our alarm system is that it was built many moons ago when people had to cope with dangers in order to survive, However now days we rarely have the threats our ancestor faced. We have different threats e.g. financial worries, relationship worries, health worries etc which all can be stressful and raise our anxiety levels to a point where our alarm system is triggered. It’s a bit like a stress thermometer - when it reaches a certain level it results in panic “ BUT A PANIC ATTACK WILL NOT HURT YOU, BELEIVE IT OR NOT IT IS DESIGNED TO PROTECT YOU !!!!!!!!!!!
In other words my body is trying it’s hardest to warn me that there is something to be afraid of ……but there isn’t , I am a healthy 28 year old, if I look after myself there is no reason why I should not live at least another 60+ years. ( 60 years there’s loads of fun to be had yet ) .

I realise that the above will not help everyone, different people respond to different things, but I found it really helpful.

I said I wanted to post a quick message and this is turning into a novel - sorry. I want to thank ever single one of the members of this forum that have replied to my messages in the past. I really cannot thank you enough, you really are such caring people. This is not a good bye ( well I hope it is deep down, but as I said before, this is a new feeling to me and I have only felt like this for approx. three weeks ) but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and now really understand what my body is trying to do and in such a short space of time my symptoms are slowly disappearing - I’m definitely not saying I’m 100% symptom free but I do feel very relaxed and calm and when a symptom does pop up I don’t panic because I realise what they are NORMAL REACTIONS TO ANXIETY _ FIGHT OR FLIGHT RESPONSES!!!!!! And guess what, they soon disappear and th

Meg
15-01-05, 19:13
Purdy , This is excellent news.

I would like to offer you my full congratulations for staying with this and educating yourself and gaining enough understanding to start yourself on the journey of recovery.

Its a rocky journey so well done for all your progress thus far .

Good for you .

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

Karen
15-01-05, 20:03
Well done Purdy. You've done so well.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jill
15-01-05, 22:54
Hi Purdy,

You have worked soooo hard to get where you
are now WELL DONE.
Keep those positive thoughts going:D

LOVE JILLXX

Sarah-Jane
15-01-05, 23:48
A MASSIVE "WELL DONE"

HUGS XXXX

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

nomorepanic
16-01-05, 14:42
Purdy

Thanks for the lovely positive post. I am so pleased to hear that things are looking good for you and you have obviously put a lot of hard work into getting this far and deserve to be praised for that.

As we have always said on this forum, we can show you how to beat it and we can give you the tools to do but we can't MAKE you do it. That has to come from within you and you have obviously taken all this on board, done some research and now you are 100% better.

Keep up the good work and please pop back sometimes to tell us how you are doing.

xx

Nicola

vernon
16-01-05, 21:26
purdy this is real great, I feel so happy for you. good luck and take care Vernon

lainey
17-01-05, 09:14
Hi Purdy

Well done !

Keep up the good work

I know how pleased you must be feeling as I am well on the road to recovery as well and I can relate to so much of what
you say in your post. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Take care

Elaine x