PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and work

Ger
04-09-07, 23:42
For the first 3-4 months of this year I was suffering from bad anxiety. I'd felt anxious before, but never as bad as this. I had bad leg and arm pains, constant dizziness, facial pressure and even ended up being unable to carry bags for a couple of months. I also started to have panic attacks. However, I continued to go into work during this time: I was scared of being by myself so I thought it'd be good to be in an office with other people and I also thought it might make things better if I tried to carry on as normal.

My anxiety has improved a lot in the last couple of months although I still get some symptoms. However, I'm now in big trouble at work. When my anxiety was at its worst I couldn't really concentrate or do much work (and what I did wasn't of a very good standard). So now my boss has given me 6 weeks to improve - or else they start the disciplinary process which I suppose could end in getting the sack. All this of course is increasing my anxiety again.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I don't really know what to do - I had been feeling I was improving and my work was back at its normal standard. However, my bosses don't see it like that. They're now picking through everything I do and picking faults with it all. At the time I told them that I was having all these symptoms and they know about all my doctors appointments and therapy, but they are just seeing it as me not being bothered about (or even being incapable of) my work. I'm really worried that I'll end up losing my job over this.

Panic1971
05-09-07, 18:27
Hi Ger

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad time of it at work.

I dont know how long you have worked there, but is it possible to speak to your boss and explain the problems you have been having and see if they can help you. Explain to your boss that you have been unwell and that okay your work may have suffered, but you are feeling a lot better now (apart from the extra pressure now) and are hoping to improve your level of performance. Maybe ask for some training or something if they think your work isnt up to scratch.

Are you a member of a union - where you can speak to someone from there.

I dont know if any of this is useful but I dont know what else to suggest.

Take care

bearcrazy
05-09-07, 18:57
:hugs:

Sorry to hear that you are having a rough time.You were really brave to continue working through your anxiety. I was advised by my Occupational health Doctor that it was bettedr to face your anxieties if possible.

Have you got access to Occupational Health? Maybe you should ask to be referred. Luckily I work for the Local Education Authority and was referred quite quickly, but you have to ask your line manager.

Maybe you should talk to your line manager about your anxiety and show them some of the info on NMP about anxiety so that they know why you have not been 'up to scratch'. If you think they are going to sack you, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

Good Luck!!!:hugs:

Ger
05-09-07, 19:31
Thanks for the replies. I am in a union so I'll talk to them and see if they can help. Occupational health was mentioned at one point but I went to see our HR person about it and she said it wouldn't be of much use to me. Instead, she gave me the number of an employee assistance programme where I can get counselling. (but I'm already having therapy!)

My boss was being understanding until a few weeks ago (it coincided with her boss getting involved and us having a big meeting where they told me I had to improve my work). I'm not sure if they believe me about the anxiety. I told my boss about all my anxiety symptoms and trips to the doctors as they were happening, but I never sat down and told her 'I am suffering from anxiety and it's affecting my work'. I told her at the recent meeting, but she seemed to reject it, saying it was probably low blood sugar.

It's annoying this is happening now when I'm feeling a lot better, but I'll see if I can get help from my union.

happyone
05-09-07, 20:32
I think you are being treated appallingly!
To say that occ health would not be much good to you is disgusting! They are there to help you. IMHO the reason they don't want you to see them is because they may suggest adjustments in your favour should be made.
I was off work for 8 months with anx depression(. Occ health saw to it that I could reduce my days to two per week, I could have every thurs earlyshift off to attend therapy and thurs late shift to recover, plus weds late shifts off so I could mentally prepare, for a minimum of 6 months. They saw to it that I could have time off for medical appt's (which I have never abused) that the management make ANY REASONABLE adjustments that arise to accomodate my ongoing psychological condition.

I don't know if anxiety is covered under the disability discrimination act in the same way that depression is, but in my case, my employers have a legal obligation to make reasonable adjustments.

I think they are treating you appallingly. How dare your boss try to suggest you have low blood sugar! Is he'she a doctor? Sorry....I am getting angry on your behalf here!

Union a good bet as is Occ health.

Good luck

Happyone
xx

Nicomi
06-09-07, 15:49
Hi

Alot depends on the size of company you work for. A larger company will have more in place to support and help you but a smaller company doesn't have the resources to do this.
It is a shame that when you are getting better you have been landed with this now especially as you feel your work is improving.

As everyone has said try talking to your line manager again, try to get them working with you instead of against you as they are at the moment.

Good luck and hang in there

Nicomixx:hugs: