PDA

View Full Version : Stabbing head pains, very painful

LilyLabVA
15-02-19, 17:30
After a nice meal out I got home and went to bed. As I was laying there I had 2-3 of the most horribly painful head stabs on one side. It frighted me so badly I thought I should head to ER. I finally got to sleep but woke mid hours with another few stabs. This morning I’ve had them but severity has gone from horribly painful to moderate. In between I can go hours to mins. I’m so freaked out. I’ve had ice pick headaches before but this intensity is just beyond me. :(

Carys
15-02-19, 21:05
How you doing now Lilylab?

I had this a few years ago, it happened really suddenly over an hour and scared me silly. It then went as quickly as it came, I can only think it was some odd nerve/muscle thing that ?!

Double_Rainbow
15-02-19, 21:07
Sorry to hear that, headache can be very painful. I've been dealing with headaches since I was a kid and sometimes they are mild, and sometimes I can't get out of bed. I take medicine for it, exedrin works for me, or if not then triptanes (ie, sumatriptan) used for migraine. Advil or Tylenol can help too. Did you consider taking any of those?

LilyLabVA
15-02-19, 21:08
Thanks for your reply. Today it’s been on and on but mostly much more mild. I’m Rey nervous about more intense ones coming again. It was agony.
I do have some neck tension.

Krnik04
15-02-19, 23:45
I think I used to experience something similar, like my head was being hit with a knife or ice pick. They tend to flare when I’m particularly stressed and holding onto a lot of tension in my neck and upper back. I hope it eases for you :-)

RadioGaGa
16-02-19, 21:38
This could be Trigeminal Neuralgia (https://patient.info/health/trigeminal-neuralgia-leaflet)

If this continues or worsens, see your GP for further advice.

Good luck

ErinKC
17-02-19, 06:41
My mom got this and they found no reason for it. The doctor called them ice pick headaches and they went away after a while.