PDA

View Full Version : Changing Citalopram Brands

petal
15-01-05, 23:38
Hi All

I've been taking Citalopram for 2 months. For the first two weeks I had some side effects, but overall I've felt much better about myself - in fact better than I've felt in years! I can't remember the last time I liked myself! But these tablets have been amazing.

Anyway, I went back to the Dr last week for checkup and she gave me another prescription for the same dosage (20mg) of Citalopram. I didn't take the prescription to my normal pharmacist and the one I went to gave me a different brand, but still 20mg Citalopram.

I've been taking these new brand ones for a couple of days and feel terrible. I've been sick, I have diarohea (sorry, bit graphic!) and when I'm not having those side effects I just feel nauseus. I didn't get these side effects when I first started taking Citalopram on the first brand...Has anyone else experienced this type of reaction to changing brands of the same medication, or is this something I should go back to my GP about?

Petal x

Meg
16-01-05, 00:13
Hi Petal,

Citalopram was orginally made by Lundbeck and called Cipramil.

Its now off patent so can be produced by anyone but is being produced mainly for theUK by Generics, Niche, Novartis/Sandoz and Sterwin which will be much cheaper than the Lundbeck version.

I strongly suggest you firstly return to the chemist where you got them and report it to them and see if they will change it ( unlikely) and then also to your GP who both should fill in a yellow card adverse effects from the back of the BNF .

Ask your GP to prescribe by brand next time.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

malificent
16-01-05, 01:27
Hi petal

I took citalopram once but it disagreed with me so much i went back to the doc and she told me not to take them anymore. I didn't experience the same effects as you but i had a panic attack that was just so much more awful than they usually are, i felt like i was away with the fairies for about 7 hours and stayed up all night with it, not nice.

i'm pretty sure the one i took was called cipramil, i don't know if this is the same one that gave you side effects but if it is, maybe the side effects are quite common and expected with them.

Hope this helps a bit,

Lucy
xxx

petal
16-01-05, 17:11
Hi Meg and Lucy

Thanks for your advice. I have felt much better today so maybe the side effects are over. Although I've just taken my next dose so if the side effects come back tonight or tomorrow I think I will do as you said and go back to the Dr's.

Thank you so much, it's so nice to be able to talk to people who know what the medication is like. I haven't told my family that I'm on anti depressants as I don't want to worry them which makes talking about it difficult. I have told my close friends though who are great but, they all think that anti depressants are bad and I should get off them asap. They don't understand that they actually make me feel better! What is so bad about that?

Take care,
Petal x

nomorepanic
16-01-05, 17:22
Petal

There are still stigmas related to anti-depressants. Mainly cos people don't understand them and assume that you must be depressed to be on them. They are prescribed for so many other problems as well - I was prescribed them about 3 years ago for sleep problems but I only took them 2 weeks cos they made me worse.

Some of my friends and even some of the family don't know that I was ever on them (over 6 years ago now).

If they help then stick on them till you feel ready to move on without them.

Nicola

vernon
16-01-05, 21:38
hi petal, glad i seen your post I had there same thing happen a few years ago. I was prescribed Clomipramine brnd Anafranil and took these for a long time. then once i went to a different chemist and was given the same Clonipramine but a differen brand, and felt realy bad within a week. I took them back to chemist and asked if they could give me the other brand they said they was same meds but different maker and should do same. I went back to my doctor told her and she said same as chemist they are the same, but gave me a new prescription snf i went to the chemist i knew with the anafranil brand i was using origionaly. So, in my opinion like you the different brand did make me feel bad. Best u can do is ask for the brand you want or take prescription to another chemist. Take care Vernon

petal
16-01-05, 21:47
I have been prescribed antidepressants for depression - but what I can't make my friends understand is that it's like head and shoulders shampoo for dandruff - if I take the chill pills I'm not depressed!!

Thanks for your post Vernon, I think I will go back to the Dr's this week and get another prescription. Only prob is I'm not sure exactly what the first brand was called... I know it was in a green and white packet but that prob won't help much! Hmmm...

Take care,
Petal x

vernon
17-01-05, 19:17
hi petal, if u go to the same chemist you got the first meds from they will have all your details and meds they gave you on there computer. Take Care Vernon

Dalek
13-03-06, 23:33
Hi Petal,

I've had the same happen to me.
Originally i was taking cipramil the brand make, then the one which i think you want to go back on which was the Sandoz (green and white packet) make of citalopram, i've just been to the chemist and opened the packet to find i've been given yet another generic make by Generics(uk)Limited, not taken those yet so i'm sure i'll find out if there's a difference from generic to generic lol.

Good luck with getting back on your old ones.

mandie
14-03-06, 10:42
Hi

I was gonna post about this today then saw this post!

I went to a different chemist for my citalopram and was given a different brand. I have taken for a few days and have noticed i feel really panicky again and light headed.

Wondered if it was because of the change of brand, or simply just my anxiety. I have been feeling fine since being on the meds so do think its cause of the brand change.

maybe i should ask for gp for another script, or shall i stick with it for few more days and see what happens

x

ridingthewaves
11-04-08, 23:08
Well that answers my question :) lol I have the same problem and was pretty sure it wasn't me but the change in brand..it seems it most likely is .thanks everyone
jan

bluebell68
12-04-08, 00:17
Hi Petal.... i know what you mean about other peoples attitudes to anti-depressants, i have only told a few people that im taking them cos the general concencus seems to be that thay are v.bad and i shouldn't be taking them at all, but i agree with you...if im honest, i had a similar reaction when the doc first prescribed them to me.. i thought Woa! Anti-depressants are ok for other people but i should be able to manage without meds!... but she said to me that was rubbish.... she said that they do not work for everyone but if they work for you then maybe there is a medical reason to take them.... as she said if i was diabetic and needed insulin would i feel so bad about taking it, no... im not a doctor , and im certainly im no expert by anymeans but as it was explained to me by my doc, anti-depressants like citalopram do a very specific job., Citalopram is a SS RIs (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors)... and is believed to work by slowing the removal of certain chemicals, eg Seratonin from the brain. These chemicals are called neurotransmitters and Neurotransmitters are needed for normal brain function. Antidepressants help people with depression and anxiety by making these natural chemicals more available to the brain... i just think that at some points in our lifes, like when we are stressed or really run down, some of us are just more prone to absorbing Seratonin before we can get the benefit of it and so the antidepressants do a valid job .....im not saying that we couldn't live without them or that we are gonna need to take them for ever but right now, its about quality of life for me... i could struggle on feeling worse and worse everyday and just hoping it will improve on its own, or i can accept the help that they give me for now and just get on with my life...when i am feeling stronger and im physically back on form, im sure my brain can go back to doing this on its own. and i won't need them....but for now i am happy to accept that i might just benefit from them.... its everybody's choice..., but for now i have made mine and despite what some people may think, im happy with it.....
Sorry for the long reply but i think antidepressants get a bad rep.... i guess im saying, don't let other people put you off or make you feel bad, only you can know whats right for you.:)
Take Care
Rach

Dying_Swan
12-04-08, 00:37
Hear hear.

I remember being prescribed a very low dose of Amitriptyline for sleeping. It is a tricyclic antidepressant, although was not at an anti-depressant dose. Anyway, I got so hung up on the antidepressant bit I didn't want to take it!

About 6 months after that I was put on Prozac - for depression that time. To begin with I didn't want to tell anyone and felt a bit like a failure I suppose, but I knew I needed help.

That was changed to Citalopram, and I am still on it nearly 3 years later! It's not something I tell people the minute I meet them (you'd be surprised - some people do!), but I am not too bothered by it anymore. I think I am so used to being on them, that I forget the stigma attached. Taking that tablet is just part of my daily routine, just like brushing my teeth.

Anyway - back to the brands. My brand of Citalopram seems to change almost every month. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference, but I do remember being a bit anxious the first time I was given a different brand.

They should all be the same, but I guess it is possible that there is something different in their manufacturing processes or something, that disagrees with some people.

I would definitely speak to the doctor and ask them to prescribe by brand if you feel you aren't getting on with this one.

Take care

xxx :flowers:

willp
12-04-08, 13:39
I get Citalopram from two pharmacies depending on whether I'm nearer home or work. They stock different brands (Bristol Laboratories and Winthrop Pharmaceuticals) and I've not noticed any difference in the two.

Might be something else in the tablet that causes a bad reaction? Other than the active ingredient the two brands seem to have a different composition.

Will

nicoleannette
25-05-08, 13:56
I have noticed something similar with me. I have changed brands twice now due to having to go to different chemists. Both times i've got symptoms including dizzy spells, mood swings and nausea. There has to be something in it. I've started on Sandoz the last couple of days and have been feeling terrible. Not so good, just in time for my final exams! :) typical!

Asha1979
26-05-08, 20:10
Hi. I was taking citrol 10mg to begin with and moved up to 20mg. The pharmacist gave me ciprimil and I didn't notice any difference. My doctor said it is all citalopram and is exactly the same med/formula. I wonder were you anxious before you took the different brand because it wasn't the one you were used to? This could have brought on the panic symptoms again. Maybe not but its a possibility.

runningman
27-05-08, 14:57
Hear hear.

I remember being prescribed a very low dose of Amitriptyline for sleeping. It is a tricyclic antidepressant, although was not at an anti-depressant dose. Anyway, I got so hung up on the antidepressant bit I didn't want to take it!

About 6 months after that I was put on Prozac - for depression that time. To begin with I didn't want to tell anyone and felt a bit like a failure I suppose, but I knew I needed help.

That was changed to Citalopram, and I am still on it nearly 3 years later! It's not something I tell people the minute I meet them (you'd be surprised - some people do!), but I am not too bothered by it anymore. I think I am so used to being on them, that I forget the stigma attached. Taking that tablet is just part of my daily routine, just like brushing my teeth.

Someone said to me at work, 'If you work here for long, you'll end up on Prozac. Most people do'. Then they started on about who was and who wasn't on antidepressants. I just smiled politely and said nothing, as it was quite clear they wouldn't have a clue. There is no need for them to know.

Anyway - back to the brands. My brand of Citalopram seems to change almost every month. I can't say I've ever noticed any difference, but I do remember being a bit anxious the first time I was given a different brand.

They should all be the same, but I guess it is possible that there is something different in their manufacturing processes or something, that disagrees with some people.

I would definitely speak to the doctor and ask them to prescribe by brand if you feel you aren't getting on with this one.

Take care

xxx :flowers:

good post
i was given a differnt type brand and straight away felt ill
its the filler material that makes up the tablet , not the actual drug that disagrees with you.
back on the normal ones now
differnt pharmacies have differnt brands
the pharmasst will get the brand you normally have if you ask them

tasha handy
28-05-08, 12:09
Hi,
I need some help. I dont take citalopram but my partner of 4 years until yesterday does. I was wondering if someone could be kind enough to help.

He suffers with anxiety and was placed on citalopram about a year ago. He was a nice placid person before taking them and during the first couple of months until he went back to the doctors, where they gave him another perscription, he wentto the chemist and he ended up with another manufacter. After that he became very aggressive, adgitive, excess sleeping, suicidle thoughts, he also has a feel of wothlessness and confusion about himself and that why he left.

I have tried to find out if the change in tablets is anything to do with his dramatic change in his mood cause everytime he goes to the chemist he comes out with a different make. He wont go to the doctor and tell her hes suffering with some side effects and im really concerned about him.

He never suffered with suicidle thoughts or any of the symptoms above until he started taking these tablets. Im starting to get conserned.

Also, how do you go about getting of the tablets? Hes only on 20mg. But he was told after 6 months he would be wiend of but never have been.

Can you please help!
Thanks Tash

Alabasterlyn
28-05-08, 12:25
good post
i was given a differnt type brand and straight away felt ill
its the filler material that makes up the tablet , not the actual drug that disagrees with you.
back on the normal ones now
differnt pharmacies have differnt brands
the pharmasst will get the brand you normally have if you ask them

I don't know how it works here in the UK but I do know that in the USA a generic can vary by as much as 20% of the active ingredients and I'm sure that would apply to the filler material too. There was once an artical in the newspapers talking about how a lot of generics are manufactured in third world countries where their quality control is not as good as here. I have no idea how true this is, but it's made me very wary about having a different generic for my meds and I am constantly having to take mine back to the pharmacist and insisting on having the same ones each time. I am sure he thinks I am crazy :ohmy:

lostandfound
16-11-10, 16:25
Hi petal,

I've been on a UK citalopram prescription and had to move to Argentina where I had to renew prescription with local meds. I can tell you that I also felt a difference. But what I found was tht Ihad to go through the 'side effects' period (first two weeks for me were sleeplessness and nausea) all over againbefore it qietened down. Then another thing happened. I started to feel myself go into 'mania' (I have bipolar). In the UK, citalopram is recommended for cases of bipolar, however, reading the leaflet with the local meds, it said, do not keep using if one goes into a state of mania. I am really confused now. Does the local generic drug have a diffrent effect than the UK one in respects to mania? I am not sure whether to keep on taking it. I did anyway, but I have to admit I feel confused.:blush:

There is no info online, either.

I wish you all the best :hugs:

lnf

suzy-sue
16-11-10, 17:43
It is quite a common thing to feel a bit hyper for a while once you have reached your theraputic dose . I know I did .I also know of others who have experienced this .Unlesss you are doing things that would endanger yourself or others and its only mild -moderate ,it will settle down .If you are Bipolar it could be classed as a symptom of that as Mania is one of the tell tell signs you are BP .If it hasnt settled I would spk to your Dr or Psychiatrist .I wouldnt honestly think it was the drug being different that caused this .All the Best Sue x

Cat-uk
19-10-12, 20:30
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I've been on citalopram for about 18 months for anxiety and find it really helps. for the last week though I've been feeling increasingly awful...chest pains just like when I was on no meds, irritability, tiredness, aches like flu etc and couldn't understand why! then I remembered this time I'd been given a different brand of citalopram; activis rather than sandoz. After researching online I went to see the pharmacist today and straight away he replaced my half used packet with a new one by bristol pharmacies (who make sandoz). just taken my first tablet so hopefully over the next week I'll start to feel normal again! so if u've changed brands and feel bad you aren't going crazy!!

Sparkle1984
19-10-12, 22:05
I don't like it when I get given a different brand. In the first month I was given the Bristol Labs brand, which I got on well with, and then in the second month I was given the Generics UK brand (even though I went to the same pharmacy). I felt a bit more jittery for a couple of days afterwards. Thankfully in the third month they gave me the Bristol Labs ones again. :) I just hope they won't change it again!

nippy70
20-10-12, 00:13
Hi I changed brand three weeks ago. Have not felt right since. First two weeks I didn't want to get out of bed. I had fatigue. Now I feel dizzy and faint sometimes now I'm on the generic brand three can't remember what my other brand were but thinking ofpong back to docs. I could go back to old chemist and ask to see box to see if I can remember. Just sick now of feeling ill on thwart new brand.... Never thought it would make a difference but spoke to my mate who's a doc and he said its the filers. They can react and effect u. If anyone one had the same feelings let me know.
.tingles. Spaced out. Flushes fatigue.moods tired. ... On they go x lol

Cat-uk
26-10-12, 22:09
Wow I honestly can't believe it myself, within a couple of days of going back to the old brand I felt better and now I feel great! :)

Even if you can't remember what brand worked well for you take the brand you're using now that doesn't suit you to the pharmacist and ask them to recommend one with different fillers (non-active ingredients)

nippy70
27-10-12, 19:00
i went to a different chemist a few weeks back for cit , got a new vrand been ill since ,,, went back to asda totoday and sopke to chemist who said they only have the cit with no active ingrediants....... they have no fillers or coatings. I had these before i strted the new brand im on so back i go to docs for a new prescription gawd lol x