PDA

View Full Version : How do I go about getting rid of my water intoxication fear?

Clydesdale Epona
17-02-19, 21:33
Hey guys,
Not here to ramble per say but more just to ask how I go about breaking an irrational fear.

I've been worried about drinking too much lately.

I always keep a drink diary,
Drank half a cup of Tea this morning, nearly half a bottle of water over the day, two cups of pop, nearly a whole hot chocolate Etc

I write out when they were spaced to make sure I don't go over a dangerous limit but it's really starting to affect me, it uses up a lot of my time, prevents me getting things done.
And I just read the list and panic, waiting for signs and symptoms after that hot chocolate lol

I know this fear is a bit silly it's just breaking my habits I guess?

Been good with everything else otherwise x

nomorepanic
17-02-19, 21:36
You have hardly drank anything though - you would have to drink gallons and gallons of water.

Stop writing it down for starters

venusbluejeans
17-02-19, 23:31
I always keep a drink diary,

How do I go about getting rid of my water intoxication fear? - Stop doing the above would be a very good start.

MyNameIsTerry
18-02-19, 02:39
^ exactly that. You are creating an issue which must be monitored. Giving importance, along with protecting from a fear, to something that isn't.

Trust to natural signs of the body. If you are thirsty, you obviously need to drink. If you are drinking heavily you will spend your day on the toilet!

Forget the stories of deaths due to overhydration, these people took it too absolutely mad levels. That's why it's so rare.

Midnight-mouse
18-02-19, 08:55
It’s recommended that we get something like two litres of water over the day. You are no where near that, I’m not either but I usually manage something close to 1.5 litres over 24hours. What you’re worried about would take a considerable amount of water quickly.

Drink to your thirst, your body is not trying to trick you.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clydesdale Epona
18-02-19, 17:14
Thanks guys, i know i'm being silly but trying my hardest :)

the issue is when college closes for half term so does my counselling i guess aha

Not sure when this came about, but think lately i've drinking a lot just because, i have an issue with gulping because what i drink usually tastes nice :roflmao: so thats what worried me, it did stem from me thinking i had diabetes so i thought i had no limit or knowing when to stop? i got obsessed over drinking so much in an hour and no more, and stopped enjoying things such as hot chocolates because it was 'wasted' fluids. if my urine was clear i would cut down a while.

ripped the pages out me diary and just doodle when i want to write what i drink, not a good drawer but its entertaining aha :roflmao:

wilky44
18-02-19, 17:34
Thanks guys, i know i'm being silly but trying my hardest :)

the issue is when college closes for half term so does my counselling i guess aha

Not sure when this came about, but think lately i've drinking a lot just because, i have an issue with gulping because what i drink usually tastes nice :roflmao: so thats what worried me, it did stem from me thinking i had diabetes so i thought i had no limit or knowing when to stop? i got obsessed over drinking so much in an hour and no more, and stopped enjoying things such as hot chocolates because it was 'wasted' fluids. if my urine was clear i would cut down a while.

ripped the pages out me diary and just doodle when i want to write what i drink, not a good drawer but its entertaining aha :roflmao:

You're having maybe 1 litre?

I quite easily drink 3 litres+ a day, and I'm still here. Have gone to 4 some days if training hard.

Purple Blood
19-02-19, 01:07
I don't know if it makes you feel any better but I used to drink 6 liters of water daily for years(I drink 4 now)and nothing happened,I didn't get water intoxication or anything...I did freak out when I found out that you're not supposed to drink so much water,so I had blood work done,everything came back normal!Oddly enough I didn't have health anxiety back then

lofwyr
19-02-19, 18:46
Don't drink a gallon of water in an hour, and you won't get it. To get anything close to water intoxication, you have to drink a phenomenally large amount of water in an amazing short period of time. It is rare because it is damn hard to do.

Clydesdale Epona
21-02-19, 16:58
Hey guys thanks for the replies been busy on my week off so haven't replied but I am genuinely grateful ��

I'm going to the doctors when I get home because my tonsil stones are plaguing me with dry mouth which hasn't helped in drinking more, I've always been more of a drink than eater though aha

Doing pretty good so far, had a day or two where I would limit myself as not to drink too much in a hour but got better, had a big cuppa at Morrisons this morning and still got home and had some cola an hour or two after (usually I get too scaredfor a while haha)

I had originally read that you shouldn't drink more than a liter an hour which lead to obsessive restrictions but I've since found that must be quite hard to do haha you'd have to down two bottles of cola(500ml ones) so with rationality I've been able to let myself go a little x

gailveronica
21-02-19, 19:53
Oh geez, I drink half my body pounds in ounces throughout the day... so I probably have... maybe... gosh, I don't know, 120 or so ounces? Probably more. You'll be fine - you'll probably feel better if you hydrate ;)

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-19, 01:46
Hey guys thanks for the replies been busy on my week off so haven't replied but I am genuinely grateful 💕

I'm going to the doctors when I get home because my tonsil stones are plaguing me with dry mouth which hasn't helped in drinking more, I've always been more of a drink than eater though aha

Doing pretty good so far, had a day or two where I would limit myself as not to drink too much in a hour but got better, had a big cuppa at Morrisons this morning and still got home and had some cola an hour or two after (usually I get too scaredfor a while haha)

I had originally read that you shouldn't drink more than a liter an hour which lead to obsessive restrictions but I've since found that must be quite hard to do haha you'd have to down two bottles of cola(500ml ones) so with rationality I've been able to let myself go a little x

And don't forget that is going to be likely very general advice. Anyone engaged in physical exercise can be drinking more than that. There is nothing wrong with them and many are elite athletes.

I had a mate many years ago who worked on the islands the French performed nuclear testing on when he was in the services. It was so hot in their suits they couldn't work 10 minutes at a time and downed a ton of fluids afterwards. So, if you are working or exercising your body is going to encourage you to drink more and 2x5ooml doesn't sound much too me. I down that when I'm out walking.

Clydesdale Epona
22-02-19, 19:52
I definitely drink more around college Terry with all those stairs aha

From this I have learnt I drink under most days (so actually need to improve)

Are a Chinese tonight so drank a lot more especially with this heat haha feeling better about it lately though, must have focused my mind on something else as I've let my food fear go x

Clydesdale Epona
23-02-19, 22:02
Sorry folks guess I'm treating this like a little diary hehe this is just for my ramblings x

I've done pretty okay today, admittedly counted my intake in a weak moment and still being really restrictive in terms of that no more than a liter business.

I am definitely not making a liter an hour I know this, too scared to drink one cup anymore lol

Because my urine is clear I'm trying to pull back and worrying that I can't flush it out as not peeing very often.

I know this is very silly but just a battle going on in my head.
Gonna talk to the college counsellor when I get back next week, and go to my doctor for my dry mouth which isn't helping (bloody tonsil stones) it's the best I can do, staying positive though! X

Midnight-mouse
24-02-19, 07:54
Urine being clear is not a bad thing, I wish I could achieve it more often to be honest!

Mouse

BlueIris
24-02-19, 08:00
Restricting your fluid intake is never a good idea. People get thirsty for a reason.

EKB
24-02-19, 17:12
Water intoxication, so far as I understand it, isn’t caused by drinking any old thing, but by drinking copious amounts of just plain 100% water. So if you’re drinking juices, teas, soda, etc then it’s not an issue - at all. The most common risk factor is improper rehydration after extreme exertion (not your average walk around the block, but marathons) - which is why athletes use things like Gatorade and other electrolyte replenishing drinks. Be kind to yourself and enjoy your beverages!

Clydesdale Epona
25-02-19, 19:16
Thanks everyone really sorry for being silly, wanted to update by saying I have a counselling session in place.

And that yesterday during my travels down South I drank plenty and today has been pretty good, had a fair bit of water in college and feeling fine x

I've never once in my life gone over a liter an hour so never understood my fear on the first place haha

I'm making improvements :)

Midnight-mouse
25-02-19, 20:29
So glad to hear all the positive steps you’re taking! It’s never silly to talk about our fears and feelings.

Be proud, you’re doing just fine.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

Shadowhawk
26-02-19, 15:29
Sorry folks guess I'm treating this like a little diary hehe this is just for my ramblings x

I've done pretty okay today, admittedly counted my intake in a weak moment and still being really restrictive in terms of that no more than a liter business.

I am definitely not making a liter an hour I know this, too scared to drink one cup anymore lol

Because my urine is clear I'm trying to pull back and worrying that I can't flush it out as not peeing very often.

I know this is very silly but just a battle going on in my head.
Gonna talk to the college counsellor when I get back next week, and go to my doctor for my dry mouth which isn't helping (bloody tonsil stones) it's the best I can do, staying positive though! X

Don't pull back! Relatively clear to very light pee is the ideal level; something we all should really be striving for.

While i understand your fear, hopefully it isn't crushing you anymore. You would literally have to be drinking gallons on end to even start to have a problem; and you couldn't do that without forcing yourself to actively drink that much. A well hydrated body is a good thing, and you really have nothing to worry about.

Clydesdale Epona
27-02-19, 19:22
Hey folks x

Done very good today just drunk what I would without worrying, had a milkshake this morning and hot chocolate this afternoon, two things I used to consider scary and pointless (because they were big)
Felt quite calm today just a little episode where I was worried about drinking more for the rest of the day but realised my silliness.

Making an appointment for my dry mouth soon x