PDA

View Full Version : Shiny shiny - aka what I do when I'm not panicking.

BlueIris
19-02-19, 07:13
When I'm not working (or stressing), I like to mess around with beads, and I hoped you guys might be interested to see some pics of the stuff I make.

MyNameIsTerry
19-02-19, 07:21
Wow! They are really good.

Do you sell them? I bet people would buy them. My GF makes cards sometimes and people at work have ended up buying them off her as they liked the cross stitch she does in them. I could easily see the same here. Lots of people seem to make up charm bracelets and sell them on.

Do they take a lot of time to make?

BlueIris
19-02-19, 07:25
I sell at craft fairs and do commissions for people, but I don't have the dedication to maintain an online shop as I'd much rather make than advertise ;)

The timeframes vary - I can make a pair of simple earrings in about ten minutes, but the box on the left took at least 24 hours.

I also teach - I do drop-in workshops at various events, then I got my first proper paid teaching gig back in November, which was one of the proudest moments of my life.

MyNameIsTerry
19-02-19, 07:39
That's great. That sounds like a healthy and rewarding part of your life. Anxiety drags us into so much negativity that we lose the nourishing stuff we do that helps with our confidence and self esteem. Teaching seems a great way to build on yourself.

Maybe you will expand on that? I've seen craft workshops advertised on flyers that take place in churches, council/college settings, etc. I could easily see that as an offshoot from a mental health group just as group gardening activities are. They do cake making and art for mental health and down at my local out patient facility, the charity I attended use to rent a room there, they had all sorts of craft work up in the room from their sessions.

I hope it continues to be a source of positivity for you.

BlueIris
19-02-19, 07:43
Thanks, Terry, and thanks for your kind words.

Next year I'm hoping to start a crafting club for students at the FE college where I work; I might also contact my local branch of MIND and see if they'd be interested in me running some sessions. The only real hurdle is that I work full-time and between that and the anxiety and depression, I tend to need a lot of downtime from dealing with people.

jojo2316
19-02-19, 13:01
When I'm not working (or stressing), I like to mess around with beads, and I hoped you guys might be interested to see some pics of the stuff I make.

These are SO LOVELY !
can I buy some??

BlueIris
19-02-19, 13:08
Sure you can! PM me with the sort of thing you want and I'll design it up for you :)

ErinKC
21-02-19, 04:06
Those are really lovely!! You should consider an Etsy shop. I don't think they're much upkeep and then a good way to shoot a link to someone interested in your work. Really nice stuff!

pulisa
21-02-19, 13:48
They are really beautiful. You are very talented and this all sounds a really therapeutic enterprise.

WiredIncorrectly
20-04-19, 16:01
Those are really lovely!! You should consider an Etsy shop. I don't think they're much upkeep and then a good way to shoot a link to someone interested in your work. Really nice stuff!

Agreed. These would go down on Etsy very well.

BlueIris
20-04-19, 16:11
I'm lazy, though I'd much rather spend time making stuff than promoting it.

Here's something I finished last night:

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-19, 16:25
That's really nice! :yesyes:

My mum always liked knitting so she would knit tons of baby clothes and then just send them around the local Dougie Mac shop or give them to friends who's children were pregnant. I suppose there is always that element if you don't want to sell but want to enjoy it and give something to charity if it appeals to you.

BlueIris
20-04-19, 16:30
Thank you!

I sell at a few craft fairs every year, and gift a lot of things to friends and family.

Last October, one of the teachers at the college where I work begged me to get dressed up for Hallowe'en. Normally I wouldn't dream of it, but I made myself an absolutely HUGE spider pendant - probably about six inches across. I won't put a photo in because I know there's a lot of arachnophobes about, but I was ludicrously proud of it and get massively excited whenever a new Spider Man film comes out so I'll have another excuse to wear it.

MyNameIsTerry
20-04-19, 16:35
Turn goth then you can wear it all day every day! :yesyes:

Catkins
08-08-21, 19:38
Why have I not seen this before. They're beautiful!

BlueIris
08-08-21, 20:34
Thank you! I just found out I have a craft fair booked in a few weeks, my first in nearly two years. Going to have some fun times making lots of new stuff.

jojo2316
08-08-21, 20:57
So pleased to have another chance to look at these. Such intricate designs. You are so clever xxx

pulisa
08-08-21, 21:07
Yes you are very clever and very talented!

I hope you are ok after what was posted earlier on a different board..

Fishmanpa
08-08-21, 21:33
I'm lazy, though I'd much rather spend time making stuff than promoting it.

Here's something I finished last night:

Nice stuff BI!

FMP

BlueIris
08-08-21, 21:38
Thank you, I'll post some new photos tomorrow.

Pulisa, I was quite shaken earlier but I'm feeling better now. All part of learning to accept things beyond my control, I guess.

Scass
09-08-21, 06:29
Looking forward to seeing more pics Blue. I didn’t see these before & you have such a talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlueIris
09-08-21, 07:32
53995400 5401 5402 5403 5404

Here you go! Thanks for all the kind words :)

jojo2316
09-08-21, 09:38
Wow!!! Where and when are you next doing a sale??

BlueIris
09-08-21, 09:47
Coventry, September 4th. Everything you see is currently available, though, except the sunhat, but I can make another of those quickly enough :)

jojo2316
09-08-21, 09:54
I feel very proud of you BI! Do you have any dangly earrings?

ldickerson1973
21-10-21, 03:31
Me too!!!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ldickerson1973
21-10-21, 03:31
Wow your stuff is pretty and..... complicated lol. I'm too impatient to do bead stitching. [emoji23]

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

fishman65
17-01-22, 20:40
These are beautiful Blue Iris!! They must take a lot of concentration and patience?