PDA

View Full Version : I am worried about my digestive system and cancer. I don't know what to do.

Dynamito
19-02-19, 14:48
Hey guys. I am a bit concerned. I have been suffering from constipation and lack of bowel movements for 2-3 months now. It has conincided with a period where I've been extremely anxious. I sometimes am only able to go once a week (without laxatives) but I generally have been using laxatives to push things along. It got to a point where I am worried about eating too much in fear that I will clog things up.

I have never been somebody to go "regular" and have generally always had less bowel movements than normal. I have tried eating regular, but I generally stick to a intermittent fasting diet. I sometimes don't eat from anywhere between 12-16 hours a day, then eat all my food within a smaller eating window. I have never really had issues before with this diet.

Anyway, I digress. Today I went to the toilet (with the help of a laxative I took last night) and my stools were purple/brown and when I looked closer there looked to be some red in there. I have been eating a lot of beetroot the past few days or so and haven't passed anything until today. I was gathering the colour could be due to the beetroot I had been consuming. The problem is, because I think I say some red in there (maybe I'm being overly paranoid) I am worried now. Along with the constipation, lack of bowel movements and then the colour of my stools today I am a bit concerned. One thing is, due to constipation I have been straining so if there's any blood maybe it could be from that. It's still concerning.

I did have some bowel movements over the weekend without the help of laxatives but they were small and broken. I sometimes put off going to the toilet when i get the feeling to go, mostly when I am busy during the day, which I suppose doesn't help my cause.

I don't want to google cancer, but I did read up a little on Colon cancer. Apart from the visible symptoms today in my stool, I haven't any other symptoms. I do worry about intestinal or bowel cancer though. My dad has suffered from ulcerative collitis, so I worry it's a genetic thing. He now wears a colostomy bag. I worry I may have the opposite with constipation rather than diarreah.

I will probably call the doctor tomorrow and book an appointment. I am just worried though. Also, due to my lack of bowel movements, I don't know how to provide a stool sample if they ask for one.

Sorry for longwinded post guys, I'm just a bit concerned and was looking for some opinions.

nomorepanic
19-02-19, 14:57
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

Krnik04
19-02-19, 16:39
I’m in a similar situation - they gave me a faecal occult blood test which requires 3 samples but I also experience constipation with intermittent diarrhoea. I messaged me GP today and they’re giving me a faecal calprotectin test instead which just requires one sample. You take the container home for whenever you’re able...I wouldn’t worry about it, best to wait a little to be able to do it than not at all.

MrsEd
19-02-19, 17:06
The beetroot would deffo effect the colour of your stool. Sounds like the main concern is your constipation so could be worth speaking to the gp about that? But you may just be someone who suffers with constipation