View Full Version : Brain Tumor / MS Fears...

gailveronica
19-02-19, 15:13
...I've had a lot of fears lately. Ever since finding a lump behind my leg (which I thought was sarcoma but turned out to be a lipoma) I've been hyper-aware of my own body. This means that my left thigh that goes numb/pins and needles is on high alert, as well as the left side of my face which also goes numb/pins and needles. I've started to feel it in my left arm and down my left back, too. I haven't been sleeping well, and my left ear feels full.

My doctor did a spinal x-ray and that came back fine (though it showed degenerative disc disease). She said it would not be causing my nerve issues through the left side of my body (although the nurse on the phone with my results told me it would - so... initially I thought I was fine).

Anyhow, my doctor ordered an MRI for tomorrow.

I've had MS scares in the past (lesions on my brain twice now, once at 16 years old and once 5 years ago - but each time they faded/went away) so this isn't new for me - but what is new is the tingling and the fact that I have a palpable lump on my leg (which I know, probably has nothing to do with anything, it's just a lipoma, but I fear brain mets). I'm very scared I have a brain tumor - and it would be a quick growing aggressive one, as I just had my last MRI for vertigo issues in 2016 (3 years ago) and no tumor was seen.

I know I'll know more tomorrow (also, I haaate MRIs and need all the Xanax to make it through that tunnel of death) but I'm so worried. I've been worried for months now, about so many different things... and this time, it feels so real and I can't talk myself down. I'm almost okay with an MS diagnosis (as I've been through the grieving process for that already, twice) but a brain tumor (mainly, glioblastoma) is something I don't think I'll be able to handle. :weep:

gailveronica
21-02-19, 13:35
Just an update:

Had my MRI yesterday, got the results last night. 2 white matter lesions on my brain; MS can't be ruled out.

I'll see a neurologist soon, but in the meantime, just riding the anxiety wave...

Honestly? I'm just glad it's not a tumor.

New17
21-02-19, 18:11
Hi, I commented on your previous post, I’m sorry to hear about your recent MRI scan! I hope you aren’t feeling to bad and it all get sorted quickly for you!

i just read all your previous post and omg your story is so similar to mine I’m absolutely petrified! Iv had tingling in my right side on and off for 2 years now, I had a clear mri a year ago well I think I did it was concluded as a normal study but upon reading the report it said “no significant abnormalities in grey or white matter” which makes me think something was found and not reported!

Iv had this tingling for so long now I just can’t see it being anything else and reading your story has just confirmed it has to be MS! Wow

gailveronica
21-02-19, 19:30
Well, to be fair, mine is not definitely MS. The radiology report said that it could be due to migraine, B12 deficiency (which I do have low b12 levels - in the 300s), but that "ms can't be ruled out." I've had other issues in the past where radiology reports have said similar; and honestly, MS doesn't scare me the way it does some people. I know many people with MS (from years ago, when I originally went down that path) and they're all doing really well. Also, keep in mind, I've had numerous abnormal MRI results, all showing white matter lesions. This one didn't even have contrast, and 2 lesions showed up. They wouldn't call it "no significant abnormalities" if there were lesions. They would say "nonspecific white matter lesions," which is what mine says. They don't play around with the brain - anything abnormal would be noted. Trust me. I'm abnormal :)

(also, I do have many other symptoms that can be associated with MS: aside from the tingling which is now head to toe on my left side, I also have vertigo, balance issues, heat intolerance, swallowing difficulties, anxiety (duh lol), etc etc -- so for me, this would make sense. I still have to await a clinical diagnosis, but honestly? after going through all of these symptoms for years and years, I'll be more happy to get a diagnosis of MS and begin treatments than be scared of any new symptoms that come up and make me think of the big C word!)

New17
21-02-19, 20:12
I’m sorry I didn’t mean to come across like you had MS just that I’m sorry that the MRI flagged things up for you again and yes you are completely right at least now you can put the C fear to bed! I was the same I though I had a brain tumour for 18 months due to chronic headaches and it is a massive weight off your shoulders knowing all is well in that area! It’s nice to hear you sounding more upbeat than your previous posts! :)

i also get get vertigo but very rare couple of times a year if that and mine positional when it come like if I turn over in bed or move my head a certain way the room goes spiny but then goes quite quickly, I didn’t even connected to MS tbh. I also get ear fullness and sincethe symptoms started I now have eye floaters and tinnitus in my right ear (same side as tingling)
My mri wasn’t woth contrast either this is was worried me, I also had an open scanner which Iv read online isn’t as clear image wise :(

When i I spoke to the consultant on the phone he assured me of the MRI was clear and I was having symptoms then MRI would be pretty much ruled out but I’m not sure he knew I had it without contrast, I was told I’d only have contrast if they saw something that need it. I don’t know what to think, I wish I had your thoughts on it but it really scares me!

gailveronica
21-02-19, 20:16
I think you're okay! I really do - without contrast, my lesions were seen. They were the first time (5 years ago) too; actually, once I had one WITH contrast, they started to fade - go figure! And yes, while my numbness is scary, it's kind of nice to just have a direction to go, instead of searching (spine tumor? brain tumor? sarcoma? numb chin syndrome? AHH!). I was going out of my mind with worry, and I was making myself sick. This is nice - I have one direction - MS - and if it's NOT that, I'll also be relieved, but at least I can attribute all of my symptoms to this (for now). (until the new thing pops up) (lol)