PDA

View Full Version : Mostly recovered...

jonbaker
16-01-05, 01:04
Hi,

Firstly what a great site, i think if this had been around 15 years ago it might have shortened my recovery. When i was in my teens i experimented with recreational drugs as a lot of kids do and reacted bad to each one. Mainly they caused me panic as deep down i dont think i really wanted to take them (bad mistake with LSD!). Anyway, since these bad experiences the panic never really left me and i've suffered with attacks for around 15 years. I went to see someone about them and was given some advice but not nearly as much as is on one page of this site.

I have since managed to deal with the attacks and get rid of them by understanding what is causing them and then learning how to deal with them. When they first started i had alot of time off work as they used to come on in the day and the need to escape was so overwhelming i had to just go home sick. I found that alcohol has always more or less instantly relieved an attack and i have used this alot to deal with attacks but is obviously this is NOT a solution as the introduction section on this site rightly says.

Over the years i've learnt that the root of my problem came from confidence, it took alot of working out but i got there in the end. As i've grown up i've become more confident and this has helped me a great deal. Breathing techniques when having an attack also helped me and was lucky enough to have a partner who understood me. I think you need to understand what triggers attacks and then deal with that in any way you can.

I dont have attacks much anymore only when i'm under some extreme stress like a job interview for example. I now never avoid a situation just beacuse i think i might get an attack, you have to face those situations and deal with them, this is what i have done and it works mostly. I was walking down oxford street last week and remembered when i couldn't handle all the people and got an attack, not anymore thankfully. Again, this is down to my confidence being better.

I have a new problem now. Fear of needing the toilet!!! i worry about going to new places and wondering if a loo will be near by, the worrying causes me to need the loo and i create my own fear!!! but i understand it and this helps me deal with it, i get this alot and have never cr*ped myself and am never likely to (i feel such a wally typing this). Sometimes i have even resorted to carrying loo paper with me incase i do need the loo and there aint no paper!! anyway, i am fighting this stupid fear and i intend on winning like i did in dealing with my other attacks. It's not that i'm scared of going to the toilet it's just the thought of there not being one available that causes me to panic, so you see, i'm not fully recovered, i still have tendancies to worry but can deal with it better now i understand it. I also get panicky when i think i met get stuck in a lift or on a train, or in a traffic jam.. the fear of no escape! conquer those thoughts and u win ;) works for me anyway.

Hope i haven't waffled too much! A great site and good luck to everyone.. don't worry be happy ;)

Mariama
16-01-05, 10:48
you've acheived so much thats excellent...

the thought of walkin down oxford street kills me!!! I used to do it a lot and use the tube etc, now i can't leave the house alone, I have a way to go...

plz tell me what other techniques you have done to overcome it? in detail if you don't mind?

kate
16-01-05, 11:31
Jon,

I agree with you entirely on the confidence. I had several hypno sessions, and prior to these, my self esteem and confidence were very low.

Now though, I have learnt to love me for who I am and I don't worry about how others perceive me.

I no longer have panic attacks although I do still worry and get anxious.

You have done very well [^] Keep up the good work.

Kate x

Meg
16-01-05, 12:15
Jon,

What a great job you've done on healing yourself without much help too...

I think most everyone on this earth has a foible or two . Ithink what makes us stand out is that we dwell on it and consider it a bad thing and worry about it and give it energy.

Other people just either don't tell anyone or don't make a big deal of it and move on.

Meg
www.overcominganxiety.co.uk

You cannot conquer fear until you have learned what it is you're afraid of. The enemy is ignorance. Vivian Vance

nomorepanic
16-01-05, 14:05
Hi Jon

Glad you liked the site and found it informative.

You have done really well to get to where you are with your recovery and I am sure that will stand you in good stead for tackling this latest problem.

There are quite a few on here that have similar thoughts and need to know that a loo is nearby so you are not alone in that one.

I bet that every time you have needed one you have being able to find one haven't you? It is just the thought that you won't and like you say when you are stuck on a tube and there is no loo.

These are just thoughts though and in time you will learn to accept them and hopefully get over it like you did the panic/anxiety.

I wish you well.

Nicola

Karen
16-01-05, 17:17
Hi Jon

Welcome to the site.

Well done with getting so far with your recovery by yourself. I'm confident you will continue to progress and you will find a lot of support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

vernon
16-01-05, 21:47
hi jon. Welcome to the site and well done.I also found alcohol was an instant releiver at an early stage then ended up drinking heavy and daily for 40 years. This only caused lots of other health problems in time so realy i just added another problem. so stopped drink 14 months ago. 40 years to late lol i should have faced my probs years ago. Take Care Vernon

lainey
17-01-05, 09:16
Hi Jon

You have done so well mate!

Welcome to the site , I'm sure you'll find it very helpful

Take care

Elaine x

jonbaker
17-01-05, 18:39
Mariama: All i can suggest is slow deep breathing (in through the nose and out through the mouth). Also when feeling bad try to think about good things in your life and concentrate on them hard, when your mind forgets about the panic the panic goes, works for me anyway. sorry cant be of anymore help to you.

Thanks for replying peeps and good luck to you all ;)

sal
18-01-05, 01:07
Hi Jon

A great positive post.

Although you still have worries you have overcome so much and you are getting on with it, something we all need to read.

Thanks for that and welcome to the site.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

jill
18-01-05, 08:31
Hi Jon

Welcome to the site:D

That post was lovely to read, you have shown
other sufferers that there is light at the end of
the tunnel.
You still have other worries but I know that you
can conquer these to.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXX