PDA

View Full Version : Oxygen-Pulse Oximeter life over

Emoney12
22-02-19, 13:07
This is my first post and it's because I am in a very bad place. I have had issues with sinus tachycardia and white coat syndrome after having a big medical scare. Ever since then everytime I see a blood pressure cuff, doctor, etc my heart rate climbs over 100 and blood pressure goes sky high. I started to monitor my heart rate on my samsung phone and realized that it was normal outside of these stressful situations. Now 3 days ago I accidentally activated the phones 02 sensor and have been getting readings as low as 91 and as high as 100. Because my biggest anxiety revolved around my heart rates, etc I now think something is wrong since anything under 96 is not normal. I went out and bought an actual pulse oximeter and am happy to say that my numbers seem to be stable between 96-98 but now I am focused on why it's not 99 or 100 or what if it's wrong and the samsung app was correct. And what about the possibility of a borderline test result that has more meaning than what the doctors thought. My 02 is higher during the day and lower at night and in the morning. Now I cant take this thing off and my life revolves around having to check my 02 sats all day. My wife is upset with and its impacting my entire family.

Js2019
22-02-19, 13:55
Replying because I work in a medical setting and I want to help ease some fears! I also experience white coat syndrome when it comes to BP. When my blood pressure is taken it shoots up...but this is normal in someone with anxiety or a panic disorder. The fight or flight system of the nervous system kicks in; causing heart rate and BP to jump because we fear as if we are in danger. So your heart rate and BP jumping is completely normal since it seems you have anxiety. An O2 reading of 100 is actually the perfect reading. Something like a reading of 91 could be if you were anxious or hyperventalating because we are not getting as much oxygen during a panic attack. A pulse ox reading of 96-98 seems absolutely perfect to me and I would never question it in my medical setting. You would know if your o2 sat was low as you would be having symptoms. Maybe making an appointment with your primary care provider would help to ease some worry but I think your numbers are perfect! and again if I took vitals an got o2 sats in those ranges I would never question it. It is when a patient is having symptoms, like trouble breathing or bluish-colored skin that we worry and ask questions and want to know more.

Emoney12
22-02-19, 14:39
Thank you. This was extremelly helpful. Although I still checked my sats 3 more times since I wrote this. All in the 97 to 98 range. I did take a reading on my pruney fingers after a long hot shower and it was 94. It was back up to normal 10 minutes later.

BlueIris
22-02-19, 14:51
Can you get your wife to hide the oximeter from you?

Emoney12
22-02-19, 14:54
She may do it without me having to ask. I'm afraid I will just go by another one!!! I also ha e this stupid feature on my phone that is always there and cant get it off. I need my phone for work so cant get rid of it.:lac:

BlueIris
22-02-19, 15:03
You can't delete the app? I do empathise, I'm a self-checker myself and I know how compulsive it can be.

That said, if you're not blue or breathless, you're probably okay. What you have to do is acknowledge that the anxiety is the problem, rather than your oxygen levels.

Emoney12
22-02-19, 15:13
Nope, it can be disabled but not deleted. I just checked again and I was at 99. I am going crazy.:weep:

MyNameIsTerry
22-02-19, 15:23
You can't delete the app? I do empathise, I'm a self-checker myself and I know how compulsive it can be.

That said, if you're not blue or breathless, you're probably okay. What you have to do is acknowledge that the anxiety is the problem, rather than your oxygen levels.

I remember when I was having therapy and I mentioned checking my watch constantly and getting more anxious due to the tension and feeling rushed. My therapist said to put my watch somewhere inconvenient so as to insert gaps of time where I might calm down. I couldn't do this when, unless I wanted to miss things like meetings, but I did make it harder to get at by putting it in my pocket and filling the pocket with loose change and other awkward items. It did help, not a cure obviously, but a helper in allowing yourself to habituate to longer waiting times.

Emoney12
22-02-19, 15:49
I know this is anxiety and even though I recognize it I dont know why I cant stop. A little more details. I have crohns disease but have been in remission for a very long time. 2 years ago I noticed my finger nails were clubbing. The primary cause is lung disease but it's also common with Crohns. Anyways I went to see a pulmonologist and he ordered PFT's, a chest ct, and a echo. My chest ct came back unremarkable. My pft's were normal except for a mildly reduced dlco which the pulmonologist said was not clinically significant. My echo was marked as totally normal but when I a looked up each if the values their is something called tapse that was only 1.8cm. According to what I read online is that most people are above 2 and anything less than 1.8cm is very bad. So I had to borderline results. Followed up with a second pulmonologist and cardiologist and they said everything is fine. Since then I have been obsessed with lung and heart stuff. I am okay for a few months but every relapse in this hole is worse than the time before and it takes longer and longer to get out of it.

Emoney12
22-02-19, 20:45
Now I am at 96%...:weep:

Scass
23-02-19, 04:56
I do sympathise but you’re your own worse enemy here, so it’s time to take some action.

There is someone else on this forum who is a slave to these devices and it’s awful to see how they can run your life.

If you won’t disable the app, then try to find something else to do next time you get the urge. Preferably some deep breathing or a mindfulness/ relaxation exercise. Start to cut down the checking. Because you are fine, you were fine last time you checked and the time before, so you will be next time too.

Also you aren’t a medical professional, so you really don’t have a clue what you’re doing! You’re also not getting the reassurance that you need.

Start trying to cut it out. You could even post on here instead. Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emoney12
23-02-19, 17:22
So woke up this morning and of course checked my o2. I was at 97/98 and then made my wife put it on and she was 96/97. Clearly if I am in trouble than so is she. I only checked one more time today and was at 98. I disabled the samsung health app but cant delete it from my phone. I am thinking about tossing the phone and getting an iphone since I am due for an upgrade? Is that extreme? Now what to do with the pulse oximeter. I should just chuck it but cant get myself to that yet. Also made an appointment next month with a pulmonologist which I know he is going to think I am crazy.

BlueIris
23-02-19, 18:09
Ask your wife to hide the oximeter. That way at least you can retrieve it if the panic gets absolutely unbearable.

Fishmanpa
23-02-19, 18:53
So woke up this morning and of course checked my o2.

So you ask for help, are given the most common sense approach to resolve the issue and cannot/will not take it on board. The O2 meter is in your court... 'of course'.

Positive thoughts

Emoney12
25-02-19, 13:26
So woke up today and tested again and got 97/98. Since every test I have done has been between 96 -98 I decided enough is enough. I gave her the pulse oximeter to take to work and throw out in her office. Didnt want to go dumpster diving at home, haha. Today starts a new day.

BlueIris
25-02-19, 13:27
Great job! And well done for knowing yourself that well, too :)

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-19, 13:42
Good! When you wake up you feel the twinge of anxiety, the building tension and the compulsion to reach for the tool. When this happens get yourself up and go somewhere else in the house and do something. Insert this waiting period.

Scass
25-02-19, 19:57
Brilliant, well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryRobot
25-02-19, 20:28
A couple things to note:
1. Anxiety/Panic pulls blood is redirected to muscles so there's less blood getting to your digits
2. Cold fingers can make the difference between 92% and 99%. Try putting some hot water on and warming your fingers up for a minute or so then check it again.
3. Some fingers have different readings. My left hand is always low for some reason. My right hand is always more accurate.
4. The Samsung health app isn't the best. It would regularly tell me my o2 sats were in mid 90s. I bought a pulse ox at the store and now I'm constantly 99 - 100%

All that said, I'd do my best to NOT check your o2 sats. Try to go longer and longer without checking, even when you're anxious. I obviously know a lot about this because I had the same problem. It'll take over your life. You'll never be satisfied, even when your sats are perfect. Good luck!