PDA

View Full Version : Eye test and Alzheimers

Meltdown
24-02-19, 12:46
OK - I feel stupid to admit this - but here goes!

I haven't been for an eye test for 10 years - reason? I read somewhere that opticians can detect early signs of Altzheimers!

Sounds stupid, even as I read it back - but it is true! My Father had Alzheimers and getting it is one of my biggest fears... The last thing I would want would be to be "forewarned" that I would be going to get it - even before symptoms appeared

The media are always going on about how useful an early detection test would be - but why? who needs to know 10 years early that their life is about to be ruined? I know there are various drugs available which may (or may not) help slightly, but in all honesty - I would rather not know!

I have an eye test booked for this afternoon, as I broke my glasses! My understanding is that there was a study on a specific test which could be done at an opticians - but isn't available yet. I think there are other indicators in the retina....

I will be asking about this, and making it clear that if they spot anything - I don't want to know! I will feel very silly and embarrassed when I have this conversation!

I wish the medical profession would stop this "mission creep" - my wife (who hates going to the Dr's for anything) put off her smear test for years because they always weigh you and she is sensitive about her weight!

nomorepanic
24-02-19, 14:15
I wish the medical profession would stop this "mission creep" - my wife (who hates going to the Dr's for anything) put off her smear test for years because they always weigh you and she is sensitive about her weight!

I have never been weighed when going for a smear. Maybe they do it as they never see her so take the opportunity to weigh her whilst she is there. I doubt it has anything to do with the smear test procedure to be honest.