PDA

View Full Version : Best antidepressant with least initial side effects

poppy77
24-02-19, 13:08
Does anyone have suggestions for an antidepressant for anxiety that has least initial side effects. I have so much on my plate with work and family commitments at the moment that I just can't go bat shit crazy with initial weeks on antids.

I was on Sertraline for 9 months after post natal health anxiety in 2016 but I think I went off them far too quickly.

I have also contacted a local psychologist about arranging CBT for my health anxiety issues but I do feel I probably need to go back to the doctors about medication for anxiety.

pulisa
24-02-19, 13:22
Why not try the CBT first? Only because you will be anticipating side effects from any med and this will just add to your anxiety at a challenging time.

How is your sister?

Darksky
24-02-19, 13:28
I've never taken them so I'm probably not the best person to reply but I believe from what I've read here, there isn't a one size fits all antidepressant. One person can have difficult side effects with one and yet another person will find it an easier ride with the same pill. Also I've heard of people having not too bad a time with one pill, come off it and the second time with it, find it much harder to cope with the side effects. There's a lot to choose from and it's finding one that suits you best.

im sure someone will be along soon with more personal experience.

BlueIris
24-02-19, 14:10
I honestly think your best bet is to allow your healthcare provider to guide you on this. No two people react the same to the same dosage of the same drug, so all you can really do is find a trustworthy physician and be honest with them about any side effects you experience.

MyNameIsTerry
24-02-19, 14:23
It's as said above. A minefield.

All I can say is that Escitalopram is expected to cause less side effects from other SSRI's because it has the highest selectivity for the Serotonin transporter compared to the norepinephrine one.

But it's no guarantee.

poppy77
24-02-19, 21:26
Thanks guys, I'll have to have a think about it.

Thanks Puilsa for remembering, my sister is doing much better and has astounded the doctors with her recovery rate. She was in intensive care for a few weeks getting plasma infusions, then a few weeks in another ward, getting support an physio. She was going to go to this recuperation type hospital but as she can now walk and use her hands, she is was sent home a few days ago. She's very tired but with the support of our family and her hubbie, she is doing ok. She's happy to see her cat!

MyNameIsTerry
25-02-19, 04:42
That's great news, poppy :yesyes::yahoo: