PDA

View Full Version : So scared. Bowel worries and cannot rationalise.

flatterycat
24-02-19, 17:06
Hello

I am going through awful anxiety at the moment and convinced myself that I have bowed cancer. I am 50 years old, so I’m the right age group.

It all started in January when I over indulged in a meal while away and woke in the night and had sickness and diarrhoea. My stomach wasn’t right for a few days, but it seemed to get better. Then a week or two later I came home from work and had diarrhoea. At the time I was fine after and put it down to eating homemade broccoli soup. The same thing happened a couple of days later (again I’d had the soup) and then after that I had very loose stools for a few days. This settled down, however in that time I thought about BC and read that a change in bowel habits is a sign. I then developed a pain in my right side. Sometimes it’s below my right lower rib and other times I have right sided back when I move. I am also bloated and have a lot of gas.

This fear was still in in my head, but then seemed to pass until early this week when I have been consumed with it. My Nan was diagnosed with BC when she was around 80 so I have a family link. She was diagnosed because her only symptom was anaemia and this is what got me going again. I noticed that I have to keep taking in a deep breath and I know this is a sign of anaemia. I then started to obsessively check my eyelids and nails for signs of anaemia having read that if they are pale this can be a sign. Although my bowels aren’t too bad now I am scared that the diaorrea will start again. I have not seen any blood in my stools but I know it can be invisible.

I went to to my doctor and cried to her. She examined my stomach and then gave me an exam where she put her finger in my bum! She said everything felt absolutely fine and I started to feel calmer until she asked me when I’d last had blood tests done. I freaked out and asked her why, what had she felt. She said nothing, that the bloods might reassure me or point to a sensitivity. I asked her what she’d test and she said the usual: thyroid, Fbc, kidney and liver function. Again I got upset because I knew then that I could hear that I am anaemic which would confirm my fears. (I know anaemia is common, but it’s not good when you don’t have periods anymore). She said I didn’t have to have the blood tests and that she would write them up and if I wanted to have them, then to just call and they’d print the request off. She then added that she did it think any other tests were warranted based on her examination and told me that my take away message was that I didn’t have bowel cancer. I know she can’t tell me that from a simple stomach/ anal exam though.

so, that’s where I am. I keep wanting to go to A and E to get bloods done now to then swinging to not having the bloods done. I’ve read story after story about people who were diagnosed after a change in bowel habits or anaemia. The last time I had bloods were in early 2017, so a long time ago.

If if anyone can help me to get a grip on this I’d appreciate it so much. Having been a long time sufferer of HA I feel that I have gotten away with so much in the past and this time it will be something bad.

Thank you if if you have read this far.

X

nomorepanic
24-02-19, 17:20
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your issue.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

Please also read this post:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=213239

nomorepanic
24-02-19, 17:22
Surely you don't need to go to A&E to get bloods done though?

I would get them done at your doctor's and then you know what you are dealing with.

flatterycat
24-02-19, 18:06
I won't go Nicola, it's just when the fear amps up, I can't think straight.
Just so scared of getting them done with my symptoms.

nomorepanic
24-02-19, 18:21
But it is better to know that not know. There is unlikely to be anything serious going on so just get them done and then you can see what to deal with if anything.

jojo2316
24-02-19, 20:44
The doctor has said bowel cancer is unlikely- that is your “take home” message. But there is no reason not to get the tests she has suggested. Just get them over with, you will just keep worrying if you don’t...

flatterycat
24-02-19, 21:29
Thank you.

I will I’ll get them done, but looking at all my symptoms I can’t believe I haven’t got BC. Tonight I am so bloated and I haven’t even eaten (too anxious). I’m sat in the sofa and my stomach is really big and uncomfortable.

jojo2316
25-02-19, 19:45
Thank you.

I will I’ll get them done, but looking at all my symptoms I can’t believe I haven’t got BC. Tonight I am so bloated and I haven’t even eaten (too anxious). I’m sat in the sofa and my stomach is really big and uncomfortable.
If it’s any consolation, I get this most days too. The gut is a hugely complex thing and a change in the balance of gut bacteria, for example, can cause a change in bowel habit. Did your dr mention or suggest a fecal blood test?

flatterycat
25-02-19, 22:36
If it’s any consolation, I get this most days too. The gut is a hugely complex thing and a change in the balance of gut bacteria, for example, can cause a change in bowel habit. Did your dr mention or suggest a fecal blood test?

I had some blood tests done today but not the fecal blood test. The doc I saw today also did a tummy exam and chatted to me for some time. She said the blood tests were just reassurance and that she wasn’t concerned. I was really banking on the fact that after the 4 times I had diahorrea (4 weeks ago) I hadn’t had any more as being a good sign. However, tonight I had some more! Of course this sent me spiralling again, but my husband says it’s because I’m anxious and not eating properly because of fear.

Thanks for your support x