PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour in Thoughts

mico
16-01-05, 17:34
Not sure if this is best suited to general anxiety or the OCD thread, but seeing as my topics are usually just general waffle I thought I'd post this here.

I was just thinking to myself the other day (as I usually do! Incessantly!!) about my general thought patterns. Something I ponder over quite a bit, in my view thoughts are important because they shape who we are and what we do, so a little understanding of them wouldn't go a miss.

Then I came across one particular thought, or maybe a realisation of somekind...

I realised that most of the thoughts that occupy my mind most of the time (at least when I'm not distracted) are the same thoughts over and over. I realise that obsessive thought patterns are very common when it comes to anxiety dissorders, but the thing with these thoughts is that they arn't necesarilly negative.

I often think about certain things, could maybe be something that interests me. Of course this isn't unusual, it would be normal to think of something that interests you on a regular basis. The thing with the thoughts that I noticed is that they nearly always come in the same structure, they are presented to me in the same format each and every time (well almost anyway). It's something that is very hard for me to explain as I know it is perfectly normal to have similar thoughts on a day to day basis. But these really do seem like obsessional thoughts in some kind of way. It's as if I cling on to them and don't want to let them go.

Let me try to take it from another angle...

I often find it difficult to drop off to sleep at night. I don't suffer from insomnia, it's just that sometimes it takes me quite a while to calm my thoughts, and if I can't do that, then I just have to wait until I'm ready to collapse :D. One thing that I have noticed is that it is without a shadow of a doubt, my thoughts that keep me awake. If I can motivate myself to properly relax, and clear my thoughts, then I will want to go to bed. 'Want' is the key word there. Most nights when my mind is in overdrive, I don't want to go to bed. I feel a compulsion to stay up with my thoughts. It isn't even that my thoughts are that interesting, after all it's the same stuff I thought about yesterday, the day before, etc, etc, etc... But I think of going to bed, but going to sleep means losing my thoughts and I don't want to do that. I really do get bored of these thoughts, it becomes tedious when you have no new stimulus entering your mind, but again, still, I want to think about them. An example of this kind of thing (actually this is slightly different but affects me in a similar way, bear with me) is that sometimes I go into the chatroom here. Now I know a lot of people leave the chatroom and go straight to bed on a night. That just doesn't happen to me under any circumstances, if I'm active with something on a night then I start thinking about it and I can't get to sleep. Any time I leave the chatroom I will be up for another hour or 2 at least, the reason being is that I will be sitting thinking about the things that people have said. This isn't bad, it's just thinking about what has happened, then going over it and over it again, it's what I do in any situation. Before I go to bed, I always have to have a little time alone to let my thoughts settle.

To me this sounds like obsessive compulsive behaviour, if you don't think the same then I probably haven't described this very well :D

The thing that interests me here, is how much of this is 'normal', if any of it?

Another issue that this brought me to thinking about is my lack of motivation. I often sit, well actually I could be doing anything, but I often stop and ponder over my thoughts. I may go into a trance like state, just staring into space, and sometimes don't even know what I'm thinking about [:P]. But the bottom line is that I think, think, and think some more, pretty much all the time. The negative side of this is that I do very little as I spend all my time thinking. Again though, these arn't necesari

xlauracx
16-01-05, 20:09
That sounds a bit like my life.......I just think and think and think until i find something bad then worry and worry and worry about it. I don't know if you worry, but the thinking before bed sounds a lot like what i do.........Ill go to bed at 10.30, but not sleep til about 2ish some nights. And its daft thoughts, like playing through my day to see what i did wrong or who said what that i didnt pick up on if that makes sense?

I dont think im being very helpful just randomly sharing!!!

Have a nice week everyone! xxx

~Laulz~

mico
16-01-05, 20:27
Hi Laura

Don't worry, every little bit helps :).

And yes, that does sound similar. I worry too, don't get me wrong, but I can understand those thoughts. You're spot on with the daft thoughts too though, playing through the day, who said what, etc, etc, etc...it's never ending. Until you go to sleep, then you wake up and it all starts again.

The point to my post is that even though these arn't all bad thoughts, I think they have a negative effect on our lives. In fact I think this has a considerable effect on mine and it's about time I stopped it.

I can actually remember thinking of this stuff as young as maybe 7 years old, thinking that I need to stop these thoughts because they just hinder the quality of my life, maybe it's about time I done something about it.

Thanks for the reply

mico

Marc
17-01-05, 08:59
Hmm, snap, sounds pretty normal to me lol.
But then I guess I'm not exactly normal so maybe I'm compulsive as well :)
All sounds very like myself except maybe I don't usually really want to think the thoughts over and over again, in fact mainly try to think or do something to break the cycle. Action is good as long as it's the sort that uses your mind and not just your body, as I find that makes it worse instead of better.
I always (usually) find reading good, as long as I have the right sort of thing to read.
The other thing I've had success with recently is creating and building-up a fantasy situation in my mind. Like a whole story of the best things I can think of happening to me with all the details woven in.
I find this way I can clear the boring or worrying thoughts very effectively and often find I've gone off sleep within a few minutes.

Marc

lainey
17-01-05, 10:53
Hi Mico

Sounds a bit like me as well, but I don't ahve a problem sleeping. I find reading a good distraction . I don't think it's OCD it's just the anxiety.

Take care

Elaine x

malificent
17-01-05, 11:06
Hi Mico,

As everyone else has said i don't think it is ocd,i think you're just reading into your own thoughts too much! I do it too, i sometimes wonder if other people think as much as i do, everyone always looks so blank!

Well maybe try some kind of meditation to get your head cleared or concentrate on something active like reading a book until you fall asleep,or watch tv. I know you're not meant to watch tv before bed coz it keeps your brain too awake but, whatever, if it stops you from having thoughts it's ok!

Good luck!
Lucy
xxx

mico
17-01-05, 12:21
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies.

I guess the argument of OCD is debatable, depending on how you define OCD, etc. I also completely understand that having the same thoughts on a day to day basis is completely normal. I do feel like I have compulsive thoughts though. Maybe it is OCD of some form, or maybe it isn't, but the fact is, is that I find it affects my general life, quite considerably.

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
I don't usually really want to think the thoughts over and over again, in fact mainly try to think or do something to break the cycle. Action is good as long as it's the sort that uses your mind and not just your body, as I find that makes it worse instead of better.
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

It's a funny one this, I guess it's not so much I feel I want to think these thoughts, it's more like a compulsion. I'd love to be able to just stop my thoughts in their tracks, and I'll know what I'm doing, I'm completely conscious of the fact, but it is hard to resist the compulsion. You're right about the action though, and I'm working on that.

I know I maybe wavered slightly from the topic of OCD in my post and rambled on about some similar related stuff. What brought me to thinking about the OCD thing was thinking the exact same thoughts on a daily basis, even though I know that these thoughts are of no value, and not even of a real great concern to me. But the compulsion keeps coming and so follow the thoughts, sometimes I'll even be sitting there thinking that I'm completely bored of these thoughts, yet I still feel the need to think of them... Actually thinking about it a little, I'm not sure if it's the fact that I need to think of these particular thoughts, it's just the need to think. Sorry guys I'm going round in circles here [:P], just thinking out loud - again!

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">
I know you're not meant to watch tv before bed coz it keeps your brain too awake but, whatever, if it stops you from having thoughts it's ok!

I can sit and watch tv on a night, I can watch it for 2 hours or so and not remember anything I have watched, simply because I've been sitting thinking about something else. I may not even realise I'm doing it sometimes and I'll ve looking at the tv, but i'll not be watching the tv.

Books are good though, I think that's good advice guys, when I can relax enough to read them anyway, sometimes I have the same problems reading.

I fully agree with meditation Lucy, it helps a lot. I had a good relaxing night last night and I feel much better now, less thoughts and a clearer head, it's just trying to keep it that way.

Sorry, I've rambled again...one of these days I might even make some sense :D.

mico

sal
18-01-05, 01:24
Hi Mico

We all think and i guess we all dwell on our thoughts too much, i know i do.

I spoke to a friend at the weekend and she put it so simply for a "normal person" if it isnt going to bother you in a few days why waste time worrying about it now. Made complete sense but can it be so simple. Maybe one day it will be, who knows.

Totally know how you feel as i cant sleep, again thinking too much.

Lots of Love Sal xxxxx

mico
18-01-05, 10:42
Hi Sal

Yes, it would be a nice thought to think that one day maybe all of this will become simple. Can't see it happening in the near future, but you never know. I guess it's just down to the way we look at things, some days I wake up and things do seem very simple, although I must say that's pretty rare, unfortunately.

Hope you managed to have a good sleep Sal.

Thanks

mico

kate
18-01-05, 12:15
Hi Mico,

I also think, think and THINK constantly, whether positive or negative, important or trivial.

I can also sit watching tv and at the end of the programme, haven't got the faintest idea of what it's been about.

OCD, no. The disorder proper is when the distressing unwanted experience of obsessions and/or compulsions impacts, to a significant level, upon a person's everyday functioning. True obsessions are thoughts of a characteristically unpleasant, intrusive nature and compulsions are defined as repetitive, purposeful acts that have to be performed to strict rules to gain temporary relief from the preceding obsession.

Seems perfectly normal behaviour to me!!! [8D]

Love Kate x

mico
18-01-05, 12:43
Hi Kate

Seems perfectly normal behaviour to me!!!

Yeah, haha, perfectly normal to us!

Thanks for the input on OCD, you're probably right.

I guess that the issue of OCD is pretty insignificant here, but the question of 'normallity' is still an issue.

Reading all the replies, it appears that everyone here seems to have similar issues. But at the same time none of us are completely normal when it comes to living everyday lives. I'm thinking that these types of thought processes could be a probable cause of anxiety itself, and that this type of thinking can make you vulnerable to anxiety. If that should be the case then it stands to reason that if you can do away with these thoughts (positive, negative or indifferent) then you can become less vulnerable to anxiety. Even though some of these thoughts may ne positive and not contribute to anxiety themselves, they are creating a way of thinking that does make you vulnerable. So, in order to change your thinking habits you have to change all of your thoughts, not just the negative ones.

Just a few thoughts :D

mico

kate
18-01-05, 14:09
Hi Mico,

Yes, most definately, our thoughts make us vulnerable to anxiety. Indeed, isn't it mostly thoughts that put us where we are today?

We had panic attacks, strange symptoms etc etc and our thoughts worked overtime creating the everlasting circle of anxiety.

On Friday, at work, someone said something nasty about my friend who has left work now due to this very nasty someone. She specifically said it to me, knowing that I have a close friendship with my mate.

I asked her why she had specifically told me the nasty thing and she couldn't answer. The boss heard it all but didnt even acknowlege to me that it had happened.

I then had a horrible weekend worrying about it. I'm not too good in dealing with conflict, as you already know! [:I]

Yesterday, Monday, the nasty one blanked me totally, like everything was my fault. Consequently, I felt terrible.

Anyway, today, I have phoned in sick. I can't deal with the bad atmosphere.

BUT, the point I'm trying to put across, is that my own thought patterns, established for many years, has worked overtime on this issue and I am now at the stage where I can't face going into work.

Although I haven't done anything wrong, I still keep thinking about it all over and over.

So, I definately agree, thought and thinking patterns need to be changed.

Question is, how?

Love Kate x

mico
18-01-05, 14:56
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">So, I definately agree, thought and thinking patterns need to be changed.

Question is, how?
<div align="right">Originally posted by kate - 18 January 2005 : 14:09:33</div id="right">

Hi Kate, good post.

And yes, that's the big question isn't it.

My weak answer to your question and maybe more of the point to my original post:

Anytime you feel a compulsion to think unnecesarilly, you've got to catch it. To do so, you've first got to notice the thoughts are there. Once you've established that the thoughts are there, you need to stop them. Tell yourself that you don't need them and go back to your relaxed calm mind.......As if!! :D No, seriously though, the point is it doesn't matter what the thoughts are about, if you feel that compulsion to think about anything you've got to stop them, and the just noticing that they are there, and when they are they can help a lot. Once you look at your thoughts from a different angle you can sometimes see them for what they are. And when you see them for what they are, i.e. worthless then the need to think of them decreases. This is the basic idea behind buddhist meditation, particuarly zen. I know that isn't a simple answer, or even a great revelation, but it's a start [8D].

If anyone disagrees, feel free to do so, I want to hear peoples opinions.

I know I talk a lot of nonsense - this is how jumbled up my thoughts are :D - but i'm sure there is some sense in there somewhere.

Take care Kate

mico

Mell1988
18-01-05, 15:06
Hi Mico,

Just really want to say how many similarities there are between your situation and mine (as everyone else seems to be saying to).

I too feel like all I do is think - yet very rarely actually feel as if I achieve anything!

My thoughts can be anything, but I do have OCD type thoughts about my son and illness which are definitely obsessive, as I go over scenarios and situations in my head which have occurred over the past two years and play them back and start dwelling on them again and wondering whether they are still relevant and should I be concerned etc. etc.

And then again my thoughts can be over much less significant things - I am also very impatient - if I get an idea about something (which can be anything from decorating a room to buying something new) I have to act on it there and then rather than do what any rational person would do and think about things before deciding what to do. It drives my husband insane ! But then having said that my dad is exactly the same so maybe it's genetic!

My thoughts are almost like my comfort zone, even though 9 times out of 10 they don't comfort me ! In fact they make me much worse and exacerbate my anxiety.

I would love to just be one of those people who can sit with themselves and be happy, not constantly thinking and fretting over things. I can very rarely sit still, I am usually up and down doing something irrelevant that could easily wait. When I am sat at work at my desk I feel the same, except I sometimes go on the Internet looking for things (often health issues to do with my son) which keeps my mind occupied and sets me off thinking. Of course this is very negative as I realise that "symptom seeking" in an anxiety sufferer is such a bad idea - as I self-diagnose and get myself into a right state.

Sorry I have REALLY waffled on here but at least we all feel in the same boat, just need to work out how to get off it and onto dry land :-)

Take Care

kate
18-01-05, 15:18
Hi Mico,

You definately don't talk a load of nonsense, quite the opposite in fact [^]

You are spot on when you say that we have to first notice the thoughts that we are having and then stop them. This must be the very, very hardest part, and it's only the first step!

Unfortunately, by the time you notice that they are there, you have gone down the thinking thinking THINKING path and totally lost sight of the calm, relaxed state that you were in previously.

So, we then notice the thoughts but , if they are negative thoughts, we have the nasty, panicky symptoms to first deal with, and then work our way backwards to the original thoughts and then even further backwards to the tranquil state once again.

The advantage that "normal"! people have over us panickers, is that they very rarely analize their thoughts. They have a thought, then either act upon it or throw it away. Easy peasy.

They have no need to think anymore about it, turning it upside down and inside out and trying to find reasons or answers. The thought is there, and then it's dealt with.

How easy life would be [^]

Love Kate x

mico
18-01-05, 21:49
Hi Mell

Very good post, much appreciated.

There does some to be a lot of similarities there, you sound almost exactly like me. I think everything you said there is 100% what I do.

My thoughts are almost like my comfort zone, even though 9 times out of 10 they don't comfort me ! In fact they make me much worse and exacerbate my anxiety.

Very true too, t'is a strange old world, that's all I can say about that one :).

Hope you get back onto dry land soon.

Kate

Another good post.

A bit negative though :D. Re-write it in a positive fashion and I'll give you extra marks [^].

Look at it this way; the first step may well be the most difficult, but it is the most significant. Once you reach that first step then you have the ball rolling...in theory anyway.

Trouble is, there are no simple answers for anxiety, so yes, there is truth in what you are saying, it's an uphill struggle, but if you don't row the boat then you don't get anywhere.

Thanks

mico

kate
18-01-05, 21:51
Mico!!! Me negative??? As if!!![:P]

Kate x

nomorepanic
19-01-05, 20:20
LOL Kate - how dare he call you negative.[:P]:)

I think too much and that is half the problem.

I also dwell on "what if's".

It takes an awful lot of training to re-programme the brain and a long time for it to forget stuff.

Every time we are in "that" situation that made us feel so crap before we think "oh no here we go" or "oh god I am going to feel like I did before"

Perhaps we all need brain transplants. See problem solved. Easy-peasy.[:o)]

Nicola

kate
19-01-05, 21:28
Blimey, Nic, why didn't you tell me sooner how easy it was to be "normal"!!!!!

Just off to get a brain transplant...............[:P]

Love Kate xx

nomorepanic
19-01-05, 22:14
Kate

I had one and look what it did to me :D[:P]:)

Don't do it mate

Nicola

kate
19-01-05, 22:22
Yea, true, Nic!! :D

Kate x