PDA

View Full Version : Is this health anxiety?

helenclaire
26-02-19, 09:55
I have had bad anxiety for years, getting all sorts of symptoms. I still analyse and worry when I don't feel right but at the same time I avoid Drs at any cost. I do struggle to leave the house due to agoraphobia. I sit at home worrying day in day out, but still I can't force myself to go to the Dr. I always assumed people with health anxiety were constantly at the Drs looking for reassurance. I wish I had the strength to sort myself out as I feel I am wasting my life away sat at home worrying.

Liddy1993
26-02-19, 17:10
Nope more often than not it’s the opposite, I myself have health anxiety and HATE going to the doctors. I do ask my family for a lot of reassurance but don’t go to the docotors unless I really have to out of fear that they’ll disagnose me with whatever I think I have.

MyNameIsTerry
27-02-19, 15:57
HA comes in different forms as it's a bit of a catch all term and not a medical one. Some people fall into the Somatoform Disorders category and they are more focussed on chasing doctors for tests. Some people fall more into the OCD category and these people can be chasing reassurance or performing other compulsions instead of seeing doctors as well.

I think given your Agoraphobia you have a majot blocker in the way hence one can be halting the other. It's like with my GAD, I've been through the Agoraphobia periods with it but ultimately it is trying to get me to lock myself in a room away from the world and that inertia is an ongoing battle and has been over the years.