PDA

View Full Version : I need to have colonoscopy for the first time.

sarshcfran
28-01-19, 02:14

Sandra1980
26-02-19, 17:29
They said I can have sedation or gas and air but I don't want to have either,I had an endoscopy without sedation so thinking it can't be worse than that unless it's painful,are they painful?

nomorepanic
26-02-19, 18:13
I have nothing when I have mine. It is uncomfortable but bearable for me.

nomorepanic
26-02-19, 18:15
Just to add that it is worse than an endoscopy because it lasts longer and they pump your bowel full of air to get a good look. Also when going "round the bends" that can be a bit painful as well.

I can understand not wanting sedation but why not gas and air?

Sandra1980
26-02-19, 18:26
Thanks for your replies,I had gas and air when having my son and it made me sick and I don't like being out of control in front of people might be my social anxiety or maybe I'm just a control freak lol

nomorepanic
26-02-19, 18:30
You can just have a tiny bit of gas and air - I did that once.

I guess it depends on your pain threshold as well and how well you cope under these sort of circumstances.

Sandra1980
26-02-19, 18:48
I have quite a high pain threshold and I just go onto auto pilot in those situations to just get it over and done with I just wanted to know if it was supposed to be painful,I'm more worried about the embarrassment of it all than actually getting it done because of my anxiety.

nomorepanic
26-02-19, 19:12
Some may reply on here and tell you it was the most painful thing they ever went through - so everyone is different I guess.

Sandra1980
26-02-19, 20:18
Ok thanks.

jojo2316
26-02-19, 23:09
I was nervous about having sedation too, because I thought I’d be out of control and forget everything; but for me it was nothing like that. I just felt relaxed and pain free- and I remember the whole thing perfectly. So pleased I had it because my gastroscopy I had without, and whilst it was bearable it was MUCH more uncomfortable. But everyone is different I’m sure... x

Sandra1980
27-02-19, 10:04
Thanks jojo i think I will just wing it with the gas and air but probably won't use it as they said I need to stay in the hospital for a couple of hours after if I use it but because of my anxiety I will be wanting out of there asap lol.

sarshcfran
28-02-19, 19:18
I had a colonoscopy with sedation. Wasn't bad at all. I fell asleep and woke up when it was done. I also had a sigmoidoscopy AWAKE and that wasn't even bad either.
I am having an endoscopy in a few weeks with sedation as well, which im kinda freaking out about.

Sandra1980
01-03-19, 12:03
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your thread was merged with another of your threads.

Please when posting on similar topics add it onto your previous post rather than starting a new one.

It is nothing personal it is just to make it easier for people to follow your story and to give you advice as a whole.

Elen

I have only started one thread and you have merged it with another members thread.

nomorepanic
01-03-19, 14:23
Sandra - sorry about that - I am looking at it for you.

nomorepanic
01-03-19, 14:34
Sandra

Could you do me a favour and create a brand new post again with the same title of "I need to have colonoscopy for the first time." and your text was "They said I can have sedation or gas and air but I don't want to have either,I had an endoscopy without sedation so thinking it can't be worse than that unless it's painful,are they painful?"

I can then copy over the replies and delete this one.

Thanks a lot and sorry for the mix up

It will look a bit odd because of the dates/times being out of sync but at least it would have been started by you so you can find it in the future.

Elen
01-03-19, 15:34
Sandra many apologies, I merged the wrong threads.

So sorry

Elen

Sandra1980
16-04-19, 18:05
Sandra many apologies, I merged the wrong threads.

So sorry

Elen

No worries.