PDA

View Full Version : Getting HIV or Hep C from period blood on a toilet seat?

UnhappyWorrier
27-02-19, 20:40
Today I had a situation where I walked into my workplace bathroom and as I was wiping the seat before sitting down, I noticed something that appeared to be blood at the inner tip of the seat. Basically, it seemed like a previous visitor who apparently was on her period had accidentally left some on the seat. "No big deal, it's just the toilet seat" I thought and I wiped it away before sitting down and doing my business. I don't recall much else in detail because it seemed like a regular trip to the bathroom. Obviously, half an hour later, the panic started. Would I have been at risk at contracting HIV or Hepatitis C from coming in contact with the blood by sitting on it, my genitals coming in contact with it or touching it in any other way?

I keep stressing out about touching it with my hand when wiping it. I also worry whether I washed my hands after wiping it - I must've, but I don't remember. I have a habit of picking my nose as well and it was slightly bleeding today - I'm scared of somehow having done that after touching the blood.

Could the blood on the seat carry any risk of infecting me with HIV or Hep C?

KK77
27-02-19, 21:18
I can see your "infection" anxiety goes back at least a couple of years so I would ask what help you're getting to overcome your HA?

Re your question: We all come into contact with potentially nasty viruses/infections every day, yet very few of us get infected - especially in the way you describe.

UnhappyWorrier
27-02-19, 21:35
I've actually had less and less HA episodes over the past year and today's incident triggered it. The thing is, this time I'm 100% sure it was blood and it makes the situation scarier.

I got my courage up and took a single blood test last June - it all came back clean and I never once doubted the results. Sadly, I cannot test myself right now since this incident happened today.

Dave_Lister
27-02-19, 22:19
There is zero chance that you could catch either of those from a toilet seat. Neither of these are transmitted this way. You're fine.

UnhappyWorrier
27-02-19, 22:42
I've always read that toilet seats never transmit these diseases, however, they don't seem to take into account the possible presence of blood on the seat, which my female coworker apparently left there.

Mindsight
28-02-19, 00:12
Hiv dies outside the body almost instantly and hep c well you are prasuming this person has these to start with do you know her i bet she would be pleased you feel so highly of her lmao the chances are remote to zero i would only panic if you work in a crack house or a place with bad personal hygenie or bad habits worse than toilet seat behaviour

WiseMonkey
28-02-19, 04:06
I've always read that toilet seats never transmit these diseases, however, they don't seem to take into account the possible presence of blood on the seat, which my female coworker apparently left there.

No you can't contract either of these conditions from a toilet seat because (as the others) said the virus is dead...there has never been a documented case where this alone has happened.

UnhappyWorrier
28-02-19, 07:46
I don’t think badly of anyone, I’m sure everyone here at work is nice, anyone can catch these diseases, you don’t have to be a bad person.

Logically I understand they’re impossible to contract when the virus is outside the body, however, I’m still anxious. Realistically, what would be the quickest I could get a test for both of these diseases and rest my mind? I’ve read that 3 months is the surest time, but I don’t want to worry for so long...

Fishmanpa
28-02-19, 08:48
Logically I understand they’re impossible to contract when the virus is outside the body, however, I’m still anxious.

And that's the real illness here. What you logically understand is reality. Tests are just feeding the dragon until the next time he gets hungry. This would be a good chance to say no to feeding him :winks:

Positive thoughts

UnhappyWorrier
28-02-19, 10:16
You are right. It’s just difficult to deal with the what ifs and the fact that I don’t remember what exactly I touched, whether I had any cuts on my hands (I have dry skin), etc. In my mind, I see blood as an instant danger, despite the fact that it’s outside the body.

nomorepanic
28-02-19, 11:13
Don't go for tests and don't give this another thought - you are fine. You just need to tell yourself that over and over.

nomorepanic
28-02-19, 11:38
I would also suggest spending some time educating yourself over the risks of HIV so next time you won't panic as you know you can't have possibly got it. Being proactive like this is time well spent.

UnhappyWorrier
28-02-19, 11:58
Thank you. I’ve been told that the rule is, if it’s outside the body, it cannot infect you. It’s just that the presence of blood on the toilet seat freaked me out. I know that the only risks for HIV and Hep C are sex and needles, however, I’ve seen some contradictory info especially regarding Hep C that makes it sound easier to contract than that.

I’m doing better than my last scare. However, I still tend to do stupid things. Like googling the the non-symptomatic periods of HIV and Hep C and calming myself with the thought that at least I have 10 years before my health fails.

Andy699
28-02-19, 14:11
The HIV virus is extremley fragile and it can't live outside the human body for more than a few seconds so dont worry

Dave_Lister
28-02-19, 16:04
There is a lot of misguided info out there. For example, Hep C isn't sexually transmitted through heterosexual sex ie: vaginal intercourse. It is transmitted through anal sex because of the trauma involved and presence of blood and risk of skin tears(sorry to be graphic).

HIV isn't transmitted vaginally easily either as they state that the odds of transmission are 1 in every 2000 exposures.

I hope this helps you move on from this.

UnhappyWorrier
28-02-19, 17:37
Okay, that’s clear about HIV, it cannot infect when the fluids are outside. How about Hep C though? Would touching blood on this surface pose any risk if I had any cuts? Or if I afterwards touched an open scab or picked at my nose or anything like that?

Sorry for asking all these questions but googling them might make things worse.

Fishmanpa
28-02-19, 17:47
Let's put it this way... You're not going to be a story in the Daily Mail :lac:

Positive thoughts

KK77
28-02-19, 17:52
You're asking hypothetical questions to which there are no answers. BUT it is extremely unlikely Hep C could be contracted in the way you describe.

Let me tell you how it CAN happen, however. In the 80s my cousin who has a blood disorder used to receive frequent blood transfusions. Screening for Hep C in the UK at the time was poor. Many years later she discovered she had Hep C, which fortunately for her was treated aggressively. THIS is how you contract Hep C and HIV - direct blood-blood contamination.

UnhappyWorrier
28-02-19, 18:35
Alright. Thank you all for explaining me that I have nothing to worry about. I feel better - I'm sure the anxiety will still flare up every now and then, but at least I'll have evidence to tell myself that I'm fine.

You're asking hypothetical questions to which there are no answers. BUT it is extremely unlikely Hep C could be contracted in the way you describe.

Let me tell you how it CAN happen, however. In the 80s my cousin who has a blood disorder used to receive frequent blood transfusions. Screening for Hep C in the UK at the time was poor. Many years later she discovered she had Hep C, which fortunately for her was treated aggressively. THIS is how you contract Hep C and HIV - direct blood-blood contamination.

I feel like asking hypothetical "what if" questions is the nature of anxiety. It's very difficult to just accept you weren't at a risk. I feel like some days you could tell me there's a bigger chance of me getting hit by a lighting as we speak, and I'd still take it as a risk. Also, I'm sorry your cousin had to experience that. How is she now?

By the way, can you elaborate on what's considered a direct blood-blood contamination? I see this term all the time here, but it's often not clear. Does it mean stuff like needles that go straight into your bloodstream?

KK77
28-02-19, 20:29
How is she now?

Much better now but she has some cirrhosis of liver.

By the way, can you elaborate on what's considered a direct blood-blood contamination? I see this term all the time here, but it's often not clear. Does it mean stuff like needles that go straight into your bloodstream?

Needles which still contain fresh blood inside them being reused is obviously high risk. Still does not guarantee infection of HIV or Hep C. And as others have said on this thread, both conditions are very treatable now.

But this is not your predicament.

Liddy1993
01-03-19, 00:45
HIV dies as soon as it’s outside of the body so even if you had come into contact the cells would’ve died. 0% chance.

UnhappyWorrier
01-03-19, 08:58
Thank you for your clarifications. I feel like my anxiety shifts from one potential illness to the next. When I get told that blood on a toilet seat can’t infect me with HIV, I start worrying about Hep C and vice versa. It’s like I NEED to be worried about it. Googling also doesn’t help. The worst part is that I know I’m safe because I neither had unprotected sex nor used needles, yet there’s a part of you that imagines impossible scenarios. Because blood means risk in my head, even though you guys have clearly explained it to me that it’s not when it’s on a surface like that.

However, I am better than expected. For the most part of the day, there is little to no anxiety, until some certain flare ups that result in double checking the information I have and trying to remember what I touched or didn’t touch.

KK77, I wish the best for your cousin.

UnhappyWorrier
03-03-19, 15:50
Sorry for the double post, but I had been wondering about something at the back of my head.

I'm doing better, I have kept my tendencies to rethink, wonder and worry in check for the most part. However, being a dumbass and googling, I read a story by a HIV positive person who said to not know how he had gotten the infection because he claimed that he always used condoms when with people whose status wasn't known to him. Could there be a basis to stories like these if you can only get HIV through sex and drug use? Or is it a case of a person simply practicing safe sex incorrectly and not remembering it? He wrote that he didn't use condoms when giving oral, but apparently that's not a risk?

JB33
03-03-19, 15:54
Zero chance. They’re both blood to blood transmission viruses and coming into contact with your skin has zero risk.
Also HIV cannot live outside of the human body ..... just saying :)

Double_Rainbow
03-03-19, 16:03
I read a story by a HIV positive person who said to not know how he had gotten the infection because he claimed that he always used condoms when with people whose status wasn't known to him.
Recall bias. Maybe he got drunk or high and had sex that he doesn't even remember? Maybe the person who claimed to him to be HIV-free actually was HIV positive but didn't know it? These things are rare but if this person regularly engaged in sex (esp if anal sex) with multiple partners, all while drinking alcohol or doing drugs, this can happen. But you don't do any of these things, do you? So you should be fine.

UnhappyWorrier
03-03-19, 16:12
Zero chance. They’re both blood to blood transmission viruses and coming into contact with your skin has zero risk.
Also HIV cannot live outside of the human body ..... just saying :)
Yup, it's just that my concern was accidentally touching the blood and then getting it into a cut or an open scab, like absentmindedly picking at my nose, etc.

And yes, Double Rainbow, I feel like that could be the case - people can do wild stuff in the moment and under intoxication and not recall whether they've actually used protection. It's just that it's scary to consider.

Double_Rainbow
03-03-19, 16:24
Yup, it's just that my concern was accidentally touching the blood and then getting it into a cut or an open scab, like absentmindedly picking at my nose, etc.

Others have probably already said this, but. How long has it been since you think you *might* have touched the blood until you picked at your nose? Unless you picked at it immediately while still at the toilet seat, any transmission would be biologically impossible.

And you said that you don't remember if you washed your hands or not. I find it hard to believe that a person with the longstanding history of transmissible illness anxiety would not remember such a thing. It should be automatic, really. If it's not, I suggest you channel your energy into making sure that it is.

UnhappyWorrier
03-03-19, 17:00
Others have probably already said this, but. How long has it been since you think you *might* have touched the blood until you picked at your nose? Unless you picked at it immediately while still at the toilet seat, any transmission would be biologically impossible.

And you said that you don't remember if you washed your hands or not. I find it hard to believe that a person with the longstanding history of transmissible illness anxiety would not remember such a thing. It should be automatic, really. If it's not, I suggest you channel your energy into making sure that it is.

That's the thing, I don't remember exactly what happened. I had other things on my mind and I didn't worry about some blood on a surface as people had explained it to me before that it can't infect (there seem to be differing opinions on different sites regarding this, however). Logic tells me that I wouldn't do anything unsanitary, but the fact that I can't remember stresses me out.

RadioGaGa
03-03-19, 17:04
I'm sure someone else has said this, but I want to emphasise it.

HIV seems to be the 'flavour of the month' health anxiety wise lately.

The following are the ONLY ways you can catch HIV:

* UNprotected anal or vaginal sex with an infected person
* Sharing needles e.g. to shoot heroin

Oral sex is not a risk factor.

HIV is a very fragile virus once its outside of the body.

This was a zero-risk situation.

You can swiftly move on!

Good luck

UnhappyWorrier
03-03-19, 17:21
I'm sure someone else has said this, but I want to emphasise it.

HIV seems to be the 'flavour of the month' health anxiety wise lately.

The following are the ONLY ways you can catch HIV:

* UNprotected anal or vaginal sex with an infected person
* Sharing needles e.g. to shoot heroin

Oral sex is not a risk factor.

HIV is a very fragile virus once its outside of the body.

This was a zero-risk situation.

You can swiftly move on!

Good luck

Thank you. Is it the same for Hep C?

Also, I think HIV has always worried people a lot because 1) lots of people aren't sure just how exactly you can contract it 2) people aren't aware it's treatable now 3) social stigma.

Fishmanpa
03-03-19, 17:33
Respectfully, you really need to let this go. It's so fantastical in nature (https://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?192152-Hepatitis-from-a-pin) in addition to being unrealistic :lac:

Positive thoughts

KK77
03-03-19, 18:22
Thank you. Is it the same for Hep C?

Also, I think HIV has always worried people a lot because 1) lots of people aren't sure just how exactly you can contract it 2) people aren't aware it's treatable now 3) social stigma.

UnhappyWorrier - You are going round in circles, switching from HIV to Hep C, asking for more and more reassurance.

You MUST let go of this incident and move on, because no matter what anyone says, it will never satisfy the HA Beast. Once you really see this and develop a level of awareness, you can begin to let go.

Otherwise, you are free to keep posting over and over again, achieving nothing :lac:

UnhappyWorrier
04-03-19, 11:49
I know, it’s a loop for me. Once I get sure I wasn’t at risk regarding HIV, I set my mind on Hep C. However, at least there’s a blessing of the HIV anxiety lessening.

I was just wondering if anyone could describe the exact risks of getting Hep C - is it just needle and medical blood transfusion related? Is it incapable of infecting when outside the host’s body just like HIV is? I really want to avoid google because it’s a pit.

Mindsight
05-03-19, 19:28
Massive turn of events 2nd person to be fully cured of hiv so panic over it will be a virus in 10 years

UnhappyWorrier
05-03-19, 22:40
Yeah, I saw this on the news today. Great news, it's pretty amazing how far modern medicine has come.

I have to say, my HIV anxiety has subsided significantly, and mostly thanks to the info people provided here. I'm doing good, though I'm still worried about Hep C thing, even though I know it's a curable thing now. Am I correct in assuming that a situation of having potentially touched blood on a surface and then touching an abrasion (like the inside of your nose that's been a bit internally bloody due to the cold and the dry air) poses zero to extremely unlikely risk? I've seen people say that the only actual risks are IV needle sharing and potentially sex, is this true? This can also serve as a future reference.

nomorepanic
05-03-19, 22:45
We can't keep reassuring you on this - you need to move on and accept you do not have it.

You can google all about hep c if you want to know the facts - we don't need to do that for you (not that I encourage Googling) but in this case you need to educate yourself more.

RadioGaGa
05-03-19, 22:55
Both are blood borne viruses. They cannot be "sneezed" on to you, you cannot catch them by ANY OTHER MEANS. The ONLY way you will catch either is:

* Unprotected ANAL OR VAGINAL SEX (this does NOT include oral sex, which is NOT a risk factor, despite what some websites may say)
* Needles - whether via needlestick injury (e.g. nurse) or sharing needles to shoot up your heroin

YOU CANNOT GET INFECTED ANY OTHER WAY!

Good luck :winks:

SnowyGreen
05-03-19, 23:49
You rarely get Hep C from unprotected sex. The chances are so small it is not worth mentioning. I have had hep c for 26 years, and I have lived with someone for 21 years. They have not contracted hep c from me, and never will. It really is only blood to blood contact. (I started treatment this week, so soon to be Hep C free).

RadioGaGa
06-03-19, 00:17
Yes above is true - only about ~5% of the time is Hep C passed via sex. Risk increased if person is co-infected with HIV or other STI. But user doesn't report this lifestyle, so no risk!

Edit - should clarify hep B is mostly via sex, so wear a condom if in doubt!

UnhappyWorrier
06-03-19, 00:26
Thank you guys for your responses! You truly are doing amazing work giving people proper information. The reason why I'm scared of googling is that there are several differing reports from different users on different sites and for someone with anxiety it can only take one contrasting piece of info to doubt themselves. It also can spiral to the google pit of doom. There also are several terms that aren't easy to understand for someone who's not a medical professional, like "blood on blood contact", which seems like it can entail a lot of things.

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-19, 01:53
Both are blood borne viruses. They cannot be "sneezed" on to you, you cannot catch them by ANY OTHER MEANS. The ONLY way you will catch either is:

* Unprotected ANAL OR VAGINAL SEX (this does NOT include oral sex, which is NOT a risk factor, despite what some websites may say)
* Needles - whether via needlestick injury (e.g. nurse) or sharing needles to shoot up your heroin

YOU CANNOT GET INFECTED ANY OTHER WAY!

Good luck :winks:

The NHS disagree on oral sex. If they are wrong about this it really needs feeding back to them about their NHS Choices website.

RadioGaGa
06-03-19, 10:07
Annual HIV awareness training in work (taken by GUM clinic) we've always been told "oral sex=no risk" :shrug:

Unless the OP got a tooth removed, went out immediately, performed oral sex on a man with a very high viral load, got the semen in the socket...

UnhappyWorrier
11-03-19, 12:59
I hate when people post stuff like this, I noticed it today and got anxious again, and I was starting to do so well.

https://twitter.com/carlinb22/status/1103744769270956033?s=21

BlueIris
11-03-19, 13:05
Use your rational brain: dried blood on toilet paper represents no risk.

There's a lot of idiots on social media who share every post they see without wondering whether they make sense or whether they'll upset people.

UnhappyWorrier
11-03-19, 19:31
It's very irresponsible. There are users educating people in the mentions, but still. I'm mad at this because I didn't even google or seek out stuff that might trigger my anxiety, but still came across it. Made me a bit worried about the Hep C thing again.

RadioGaGa
11-03-19, 19:39
"Move on" from this fear. You'll read everything online. In fact a colleague even showed me some website where a "Doctor" from the States claimed that HIV does not cause AIDS, and is in fact caused by men's sperm "attacking the T cells". This Doctor also claimed that her good friend, the renowned Professor So-and-so had invented a cure!

My point being you'll read all sorts of rubbish online. And sadly, even qualified persons spout it.

KK77
11-03-19, 19:50
"HIV does not cause AIDS, and is in fact caused by men's sperm "attacking the T cells". This Doctor also claimed that her good friend, the renowned Professor So-and-so had invented a cure!

Why, I always knew it was those no-good tadpoles to blame :wacko:

Once you have dealt with your anxiety disorder you won't be triggered by guff like this online. If you use SM you cannot avoid it, unfortunately :lac:

RadioGaGa
11-03-19, 20:02
:roflmao:Exactly!

MyNameIsTerry
12-03-19, 04:43
"Move on" from this fear. You'll read everything online. In fact a colleague even showed me some website where a "Doctor" from the States claimed that HIV does not cause AIDS, and is in fact caused by men's sperm "attacking the T cells". This Doctor also claimed that her good friend, the renowned Professor So-and-so had invented a cure! My point being you'll read all sorts of rubbish online. And sadly, even qualified persons spout it.A T-Virus? That's what causes zombies!!! :ohmy:http://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/mystic/h0505.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/h-mystic.php)

ErinKC
12-03-19, 05:23
I hate when people post stuff like this, I noticed it today and got anxious again, and I was starting to do so well.

https://twitter.com/carlinb22/status/1103744769270956033?s=21

Even if this is real (and it's probably not), touching a speck of dried blood on toilet paper is also not going to give you HIV or Hep C. Gross? Yes. A real threat to anyone? Likely not.

Phuzella
12-03-19, 17:57
In my experience it's difficult to catch Hep C, and definitely not from a toilet seat

UnhappyWorrier
13-03-19, 12:07
In my experience it's difficult to catch Hep C, and definitely not from a toilet seat

Thank you for your reply. I think it seems to be unanimous that HIV cannot be caught when it’s on a surface and outside the host, however, from what I’ve read, thoughts seem to differ regarding Hep C. Though people seem to classify that as “very unlikely” at most.

Fishmanpa
13-03-19, 13:32
Six pages of reassurance and you're still hanging onto this for dear life! Just see your doctor, explain your fear (or show them this thread) and get tested (if they'll even test you) as nothing said will quell this irrational fear :shrug:

(I don't expect to see the headline "Woman gets Hep C from Toilet Seat" in the Daily Mail ;))

Positive thoughts

UnhappyWorrier
13-03-19, 22:03
I'm sorry if this doesn't seem like it, but this thread has really helped me. Getting all this information helps keep the anxiety in check. I feel absolutely fine for the most of the day, I get excited for uponcoming things, etc. It's just that sometimes it flares up when my mind isn't occupied and when it happens, I tend to go to this thread. I can't google - the last time I did, I caught myself googling the average asymptomatic periods for both infections and "reassured" myself that I will be fine for a decade if nothing else. Which isn't a healthy way to think at all.

RadioGaGa
13-03-19, 23:18
Even if you were the first "medical miracle" to get HIV from blood on a toilet seat (you won't be) you'd have more than a decade. It's strange your Googling didn't tell you that HIV is now a chronic, life long illness rather than the invariably terminal illness it was in the 1980s and for most of the 1990s.

The current outlook is that a 20-year-ol d diagnosed today should expect to live well into their 70s. This is thanks to the invention of HAART (highly active anti-retroviral therapy). It basically "keeps HIV in check" and prevents it from causing mass destruction to your immune system

But yes, I agree with others. You should not have to have had six pages of reassurance over such a (I mean this kindly) silly fear. No reputable source online says you can get HIV this way? So please see your doctor regarding your anxiety, not your non-existent risk of HIV

good luck

RadioGaGa
13-03-19, 23:26
Also want to add for the benefits of anyone reading this who may ever have a TRUE exposure to HIV:

* unprotected anal or vaginal sex with someone of unknown or positive status
* IV drug use or needle stick injury
* you performed oral sex on someone and had gaping bleeding wounds in your mouth and they have recently acquired hiv

Go to your local NHS A&E department where they can issue you with 'PEP' (Post exposure prophylaxis(

Ideally this is within 24h of the event,, but up to 72hr is acceptable. Pep can prevent hiv infection from taking hold!

That's all from me today #publicserviceannouncement haha