PDA

View Full Version : New - Driving Phobic

Dale
06-09-07, 00:45
My name is Dale and I am a new member.

I have had panic disorder for since my teens, and I am now 50!

Presently my condition is mostly under control, but I still have panic when driving alone. I guess it is related to agrophobia.

I hope to get some tips and share experiences with fellow phobics.

Dale
Toronto, Canada

cjr87
06-09-07, 01:38
Strangely enough, whilst a lot of people with panic disorder have a driving phobia, for the first 18 months that I had this condition, driving was one of the main things that would calm me down (probably the fact that driving, especially on fast country roads or motorways, takes up a lot of the concentration I would normally put into panicking.)

More recently though, I panic during driving as well... one of the more unusual thoughts that I have is that I will somehow get carbon monoxide poisoning in the car... It seems to be just another place that I panic though, I don't think driving causes the panic per se...

Lindalou64
06-09-07, 02:50
Hi Dale And Welcome I Also Dont Drive To Far Alone And It Does Stem From When I Was Agraphobia I Guess We Just Need To Keep Working On It..........wish Ya The Best........linda

manmoor
06-09-07, 08:09
Hi Dale,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Granny Primark
06-09-07, 08:44
Hi dale and welcome.
My goodness this driving phobia is so common.
Ive got a fear of traffic jams.
There are loads of people on this site who have driving phobias.
Im sure this site will be a huge help to you.

Take care
LYNN xx

KrazyKaz07
06-09-07, 08:59
Hello Dale and :welcome:

trac67
06-09-07, 09:33
Hi

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xxx

nomorepanic
06-09-07, 17:32
Hi Dale

:welcome: and lovely to see you here.

I too have problems with driving - have a read of the Common Posts thread and you will find loads of links under there to read.

honeybee3939
06-09-07, 19:38
Hi Dale

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice, support and make new friends too.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxxxx

Nibbles
07-09-07, 17:53
Hi Dale and :welcome:

You'll get loads of advice and support here while making new friends along the way.

Take care,

Mike :)

Southern_Belle
08-09-07, 20:09
Hi Dale,

Welcome to the site. I have also had anxiety forever! You will find many who feel like you do and will get tips for driving.

Hugs,

Laura

dawn s
09-09-07, 00:31
Hi Dale,i To Suffer From Panic Whilst Driving,soooo Scarey.my Attacks Started In The Car,and Everyday Im Reluctant To Get Behind The Wheel,although I Do,sounds Stupid But I Turn Up The Radio,open The Window And Keep My Hand Out In The Air???? Also Make Landmarks In My Mind.......like If I Make It To The School,then The Store,traffic Lights Etc,it Makes The Journey Easier....for Me Anyway,hope That Helps,good Luck!!

manmoor
09-09-07, 16:43
Hi Dale,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

beauty
10-09-07, 09:55
Hiya Dale,
Welcome to the board!
I too have find panic is worse when driving alone, it has been my biggest challenge to overcome. I'm sure you will find many like-minded people here to speak to : ) xx

groovygranny
12-09-07, 22:19
Hello Dale :welcome:to you!

I'm 52 and only recently found that I'd been experiencing anxiety and panic for most of my life - and didn't even know it!

You'll find plenty of help and support here!

Pleased to meet you!

:flowers: