PDA

View Full Version : Freaking battery acid

cofo
02-03-19, 23:56
Ugh. Why does this happen! Geez. I picked up an AA battery to hand to my son and thought something got on my finger. Just felt greasy. I looked at the battery and the plastic film over the end had just a tiny nick in it and was folded in a little. I didn’t see anything oozing out of it, and I just kinda felt like my finger was wet. But I didn’t investigate too much, I just tossed that battery and washed my hands. Now I’m scared I got battery acid on me and it’s gonna get on my pizza when I use my hands to eat it. I dug the battery out of the harbage(with gloves on) and I don’t see anything leaking but I don’t think I have enough wine in the house to convince me otherwise! Ha.
Help?

venusbluejeans
03-03-19, 00:16
Even if you did get acid from a battery on your hand which you would have noticed. It would be fine.... battery acid is not pure acid, it is diluted with water...

You would also know instantaneously if you had acid on your hand and it burnt you.... you are fine.

venusbluejeans
03-03-19, 00:27
Also AA batteries now are normally alkaline not acid, but the same but my reply is the same either way.

Fishmanpa
03-03-19, 00:35
Also AA batteries now are normally alkaline not acid

A minor detail but relevant nonetheless :whistles:

Positive thoughts

cofo
03-03-19, 00:56
Well y’all ate making me feel better. So alcaline batteries don’t have acid? And alcaline can’t hurt you?

venusbluejeans
03-03-19, 00:57
A minor detail but relevant nonetheless :whistles:

Positive thoughts

lol as I edited it to put..... my answer I gave to cofo would be the same either way acid or alkalne

nomorepanic
03-03-19, 00:58
That is what people said above.

What help are you getting for your HA?

cofo
03-03-19, 01:57
Ok. Thanks for the info. Not worried about it now.
I guess if I could just know everything then my HA wouldn’t be so bad. 🤪
I’ve had a rough spurt with my HA recently and I think it’s related to real life stresses.(about to send my only child to college, empty nest, other stuff) anyway, right now for my HA I’m trying to use my skills at putting off the worry, setting aside worry time, and distractions. Oh and a glass of wine tonight.
Probably need to step up a little to keep the spiral In control. . Thanks y’all. I really value this board.

Carys
03-03-19, 08:40
Hey Cofo, Do you know what I like about you ? (and I'm not being sarcastic here) is that you have frequent stresses about contamination, but always take on board the replies you get really quickly. You rationalise the situation after being armed with a little knowledge, unlike many, and then seem able to reassure yourself. You are a prime candidate for cbt :winks: although I find it sad that you are having these stresses, I also recognise them as it reminds me of me in the past.

ankietyjoe
03-03-19, 09:44
I once got car battery acid in my eye.

You'll be fine ;)

cofo
03-03-19, 14:12
Hey Cofo, Do you know what I like about you ? (and I'm not being sarcastic here) is that you have frequent stresses about contamination, but always take on board the replies you get really quickly. You rationalise the situation after being armed with a little knowledge, unlike many, and then seem able to reassure yourself. You are a prime candidate for cbt :winks: although I find it sad that you are having these stresses, I also recognise them as it reminds me of me in the past.

thanks carys. :) i'm getting better at letting the small stuff go, if i get some good info, seems i've had a ton of practice lately unfortunately. i still have one issue then the next though. and as terry mentioned in another thread, i just don't have the confidence to trust myself. my self esteem is practically gone, and that is NOT who i really am. but i don't trust my husband's opinion either...he' a "wave of the hand" guy. probably sick of me. :) so for things like battery acid, which i knew nothing about, i'm glad i can come here and get some good info. it's much better than googling, which i won't do. sitting with the anxiety is terrible though in that type of situation. i was glad it was evening because i had a glass of wine, which helped calm my nerves. but that's not the answer either. i don't know what i'm going to do about myself. i am tired. but maybe i should search for a CBT therapist in my area. my old therapist was awesome, but i don't think it helped me much. she was just good to bounce things off of.

I have been wondering lately, about you, Fishmanpa, Terry, & nicola....how did you overcome your HA? OCD? it seems like the 4 of you only post replies to help us, but never seem to have issues yourself that you're posting about. Are you on meds?

Also, I'm having a situation that isn't HA related, but is causing me great anxiety(my husband says "it's fine", so maybe i'm overreacting). But i'd love to discuss this with some of the folks on this HA board that I value their opinion(including you). I just don't know where to post it so that y'all will see it, since it's not HA related, i don't know if y'all read the other boards.

Fishmanpa
03-03-19, 14:49
I have been wondering lately, about you, Fishmanpa, Terry, & nicola....how did you overcome your HA? OCD? it seems like the 4 of you only post replies to help us, but never seem to have issues yourself that you're posting about. Are you on meds?

I agree with Carys that you appear to have a grip on the dragon despite the blips and take the replies to heart and mind :) I actually found this forum after following some members over from the cancer forum I was part of. I came to give them a piece of my mind and ended up staying to help. I also have a daughter that suffers from anxiety and depression and it's helped me understand what she deals with. I've actually had some GAD (I called it 'scanxiety') after my cancer as I had a 50/50 chance of it recurring within the 1st two years. You can imagine how that manifested itself prior to the appointments (every three months).

I did suffer from some depression after my 1st heat attack (I was 47). I went to the doctor, talked about it, was prescribed meds (Zoloft) and therapy. I took the meds and went to therapy for 6 months. The meds helped calm my mind so I could focus on therapy. After the cancer, I was given Buspar to start taking a couple weeks prior to appointments and I had a 'chill pill' (benzo) I could take when things got really rough.

That's also why I'm so for therapy and meds if needed as those are the most clinically proven ways treat mental issues.

Positive thoughts

Carys
03-03-19, 14:53
i don't know if y'all read the other boards.

I personally come on and do a 'new posts' search, so the board is irrelevant to me :hugs:

....how did you overcome your HA? OCD?

Ahhhh there is a longgg answer to this, its complicated, but I'll try and pick out a few things......

* I accepted that at times of stress my HA was a symptom; some people get high BP, some people get stomach ulcers, I got/get wibbly about my heart-rate and breathing (as one example). It was a false thought that there was anything wrong with them, it was just a symptom of my stressed state.
* I accepted that anxiety was something that I tended to have a default position towards - it was/is part of me as a person, and was as side-effect of lots of things I also found positive in myself like sensitivity to others, empathy and creativity.
* I had a major life-changing experience 20 years ago and then again three years ago (cancer at 47), whereby in both I realised I had spent far too long worrying about the 'what ifs' and was still here alive and had to live...I mean have as little of my life as possible spoilt by endless fear.
* I practiced and practiced and repeated all the helpful cbt techniques for years, I read self-help books (lots!)and developed strategies for reassuring myself, not avoiding things and refused, absolutely refused, to allow difficult feelings stop me from doing things.
* I am a firm believer in mental health of this type being in the hands of the sufferer (I've just posted about this on another thread actually), in that we are able to make our own changes with effort and determination and armed with the right information. I believe in desensitising, experiencing and 'pushing on through' despite panic or fear.
* I got bored of it - bored of being fearful about many things (I still have some things that I struggle with like fear of meds, doctors and flying, not everything has gone!). I was absolutely horribly incapaciated with anxiety at my worst in my 20's - signed off work, under mental health services, hospitalised twice. I've experienced it all now that my mind can throw at me, well I hope so, and something has to come out of experiencing anything once......you must be less afraid the second time, and even less afraid the third time.
* I am a very positive person (deep down lol) and see anything as a learning experience, even mental health problems can teach you about yourself and others in ways that can positively affect your future. I won't do 'woe is me', as thats a worthless thing, I evaluate and move on to try and improve things in the future.
* I turned some of my inward focus into outward focus - I do a good amount weekly of a variety of volunteering, really focusing on others can draw you away from self-obsessive thoughts.
* I have more hobbies and distractions than I have time for in a week LOL Developing interests; craft, gardening, cooking, wildlife, walking etc etc is so good for the soul and it can build confidence also.
* I find that helping others on here reinforces for me all the things I too need to remember to do!
* If I struggle now, and I do still struggle (having hormonal issues urgh), I try with all my might to employ every strategy I know...I keep moving, I talk to myself, I distract myself, but above all I won't give in.
* I was on high med doses 20 years ago, but now on a non-therapeutic dose and have had no mental health service need in 20 years.

Thats a part of it, but, yes, I do still wibble myself.....however, I know I am the key to sorting it myself. I don't post about things on here relating to myself as I can sort things myself for myself. :o I'm not a huge medication 'believer', I think it has its place but can be over subscribed when talking therapies for many would be more help. Thats just my view.