PDA

View Full Version : Possibly exposed to the flu :(

jules321
03-03-19, 02:26
Well I spent an hour today sitting next to and interacting with a young child who I just learned is now sick with a fever and what could possibly be the flu. The flu is my HA trigger, and my child has respiratory issues that could make getting the flu complicated. I feel like I have bad luck. Now this on top of my tooth and possibly root canal (and a whole other host of bad stuff going on in my life) - and I'm just overwhelmed.

Fishmanpa
03-03-19, 02:29
Sorry you're having a rough day :weep: Hope tomorrow is better.

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
03-03-19, 03:22
That sucks. But, if you got a flu shot chances are you'll fine. It's working really well this year. Last year my husband, daughter, and I spent the day with a little girl who was coughing all over the house and was diagnosed with the flu the next day and none of us got it. My then 3 year old was playing with the same toys and then eating with her hands, etc...

jules321
03-03-19, 03:51
That sucks. But, if you got a flu shot chances are you'll fine. It's working really well this year. Last year my husband, daughter, and I spent the day with a little girl who was coughing all over the house and was diagnosed with the flu the next day and none of us got it. My then 3 year old was playing with the same toys and then eating with her hands, etc...

Wow that happened last year?

cofo
03-03-19, 04:06
Jules. I’m so sorry. You seem like me. Hard to put into words but I don’t worry unless something really happens, like a toothache or a sick kid with me. I don’t just make stuff up. But as we all know we do worry about it too much. Try to reassure yourself that you will deal with the flu if you get it . And if you do you will catch it early and get tamiflu. Erin is right, you may never get it, the vaccine is working great this season.
Hugs.

jules321
03-03-19, 04:12
Jules. I’m so sorry. You seem like me. Hard to put into words but I don’t worry unless something really happens, like a toothache or a sick kid with me. I don’t just make stuff up. But as we all know we do worry about it too much. Try to reassure yourself that you will deal with the flu if you get it . And if you do you will catch it early and get tamiflu. Erin is right, you may never get it, the vaccine is working great this season.
Hugs.

You are right. For the most part I don’t worry about stuff that isn’t real- except the flu admittedly. I worry nonsensically about it every year. But this is potentially a real exposure. I appreciate the reminder Erin about the vax. I know the kid today did not have it and we all do.

LilyLabVA
03-03-19, 17:28
A few things in your favor-
Most people (I think) just get hit with the flu out of the blue.
You have the "luxury" of knowing you were exposed so at the FIRST sign of symptoms you can get an antiviral if you so chose and knock that sucker out!
Second, since you know, start some multivitamins, increase water intake, spinach and blueberries, etc.
Third, flu is not that bad. I was terrified of it for years. My kids got confrimed cases young , they started Tamiflu and were litterally running around happy as could be 24 hours later. Could not believe it.
I had it 2 years ago, spent 3 days in bed with gatoraid, motrin and netflix. My hubby got quality time with the littles, most time I have had to myself in years lol
If you had the shot, its a match this year so you can expect much milder symptoms.

jules321
04-03-19, 01:32
I’m trying to stay positive but am quietly freaking out that I will get it (and then my child).

AnxiousJamie
04-03-19, 03:19
So I am just getting over the flu. It’s a huge trigger for me too and I haven’t had it in years! I take the flu shot every year as I work in healthcare. I am always extra vigilant during flu season at cleaning and hand washing but somehow I got it. But..... I’m ok. Honestly it wasn’t horrible. The first couple of days was yuck with aches and mild fever but not horrible. Funnily enough, while having the actual flu, I wasn’t even as terrified as I expected I would be. By day 3 I was lots better. Today is day 4 and I feel nearly all better. I also took the new antiviral, Xofluza. Expensive but that coupled with the flu shot, made this not too bad. If you get it, you’ll get an antiviral and you’ll be fine. Take some extra precautions with your child for the next few days. But all will be ok.

jules321
04-03-19, 03:58
So glad you’re ok Jamie! Interesting re xofluza. I’d never heard of it. My doctor does not recommend taking Tamiflu/antiviral actually saying it only reduces flu by a day and can have some serious side effects. So if I do get flu I wasnt planning on taking antiviral. I need to ask her about this one.

cofo
04-03-19, 19:00
jules, i've taken tamiflu several times as has my child. we didn't have any side effects. mine was for prevention each time, because my husband or son had the flu, and i didn't get it.

NervUs
05-03-19, 03:18
So glad you’re ok Jamie! Interesting re xofluza. I’d never heard of it. My doctor does not recommend taking Tamiflu/antiviral actually saying it only reduces flu by a day and can have some serious side effects. So if I do get flu I wasnt planning on taking antiviral. I need to ask her about this one.

Why would you take this if you don't even know if the baby had the flu?

cofo
06-03-19, 00:36
Now I may be eating my own words. My teenage son just came home with a fever. And yep, I’m scared. We are supposed to fly to Miami on Thursday and the just he and I come back Friday and my husband was staying til Saturday. Now I’m afraid I’ll have to skip the trip and be here alone and taking care of my son and get sick myself. And the damn dog

AMomentofClarity
06-03-19, 00:45
I posted to your other thread....I’ve been in below normal shape for a few days now, including fever. I take medicine and tough it out. It’s all what you make it....

if you catastrophize it into some major illness, it’s going to be hell. If you calm down, be logical and reasonable and treat it as it comes, you’ll get through it no problem. YOURE in control.

ErinKC
06-03-19, 02:04
Wow that happened last year?

Yes! I was really surprised because the shot was not working well last year. But, we didn't get it and the girl we were with definitely had it because they brought her in to be tested. Her mom ended up getting it but her dad didn't.

cofo
06-03-19, 17:53
going in 2 hours to the dr for my son(he's 18, not a baby :)
just praying for a negative flu test.
fever was 100 and he was feeling it. that's the only symptom - aches/chills from fever.
1 ibuprofen helped.
so, it's not that bad right now.
i'm thinking if he feels like going that we should go. it's his grandfather's funeral and he is supposed to do one of the readings. :( (i'd probably have him wear a mask on the plane,no?)
what would you do?

Fishmanpa
06-03-19, 18:07
what would you do?

Go to the doctor. If it's not the flu (doesn't sound like it), go. It's his grandfather after all.

Positive thoughts

cofo
06-03-19, 18:17
Go to the doctor. If it's not the flu (doesn't sound like it), go. It's his grandfather after all.

Positive thoughts

That’s easy.
But what if it IS the flu? What then?

Scass
06-03-19, 18:20
You’re asking a hypothetical question to a forum well trained in CBT [emoji846]. There is no point in worrying about it until you know for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cofo
06-03-19, 22:38
negative flu test.
still fever.
gonna go unless he's worse in the morning.

NervUs
06-03-19, 23:14
That’s easy.
But what if it IS the flu? What then?

Really? You have gotten sick before, I know you have. You do the exact same thing that you do when you have a cold. You rest, you sleep, you watch the High School Muscial trilogy, you take meds IF you have to. You rest until your fever breaks and/or you feel well enough to go about daily life.

That is usually enough to get you through it. Of course, there is the possibility of complications. Get to the ER if you get a stiff neck, if you are confused/ hallucinating, if your heart beat is way out of range, or if you can't breathe. That is very unlikely to happen. Most people with flu will see tiny improvements everyday, just like with a cold.

Also, I avoid taking fever reducers BECAUSE there is evidence to suggest what we've been taught about being sick our whole lives couldn't be more wrong. The fever is actually killing the virus, or making the environment so inhospitable that they can't function (I guess viruses aren't really alive so can't really die). I don't take other medicines either b/c the body is doing what it does and OTC stuff is just masking symptoms.

I had the flu last year, as did all my kids and my hubby. It was horrid, and painful, and never ending. I had it worse than all of them, and I was sick for a full 2 weeks, with lingering stuff beyond that. The muscle aches were bad, my head was bad, I even have asthma--- and I had to take ibuprofen at times just to deal with the pain. I lived to tell the tale as do the vast majority of people who get it. There is a serious hysteria about flu right now that I don't completely understand, even being a hypochondriac.

JUst read he doesn't have it, lol!!!!

cofo
07-03-19, 00:46
Really? You have gotten sick before, I know you have. You do the exact same thing that you do when you have a cold. You rest, you sleep, you watch the High School Muscial trilogy, you take meds IF you have to. You rest until your fever breaks and/or you feel well enough to go about daily life.

That is usually enough to get you through it. Of course, there is the possibility of complications. Get to the ER if you get a stiff neck, if you are confused/ hallucinating, if your heart beat is way out of range, or if you can't breathe. That is very unlikely to happen. Most people with flu will see tiny improvements everyday, just like with a cold.

Also, I avoid taking fever reducers BECAUSE there is evidence to suggest what we've been taught about being sick our whole lives couldn't be more wrong. The fever is actually killing the virus, or making the environment so inhospitable that they can't function (I guess viruses aren't really alive so can't really die). I don't take other medicines either b/c the body is doing what it does and OTC stuff is just masking symptoms.

I had the flu last year, as did all my kids and my hubby. It was horrid, and painful, and never ending. I had it worse than all of them, and I was sick for a full 2 weeks, with lingering stuff beyond that. The muscle aches were bad, my head was bad, I even have asthma--- and I had to take ibuprofen at times just to deal with the pain. I lived to tell the tale as do the vast majority of people who get it. There is a serious hysteria about flu right now that I don't completely understand, even being a hypochondriac.

JUst read he doesn't have it, lol!!!!

Loved your post!! I used to go by the rule of a fever up,up, down, down. So that means if day three is still up then a dr visit is in order. Now I rush to the dr at the first sign of a fever. It’s because of all the flu hysteria! And 48 hours timeframe to get tamiflu to work.

I’m on a long road but , with y’all and therapy surely I can push thru.

katielovespizza
08-03-19, 03:48
I had the flu this year and honestly it wasn't too bad. I've heard this year's flu isn't as bad as usual. One day or two days of feeling really crappy with a fever (not even that high of one). Rest of the time I was just blah with a runny nose. Even if you DO get it, I really don't think it's anything to stress about! My 8 month old son was exposed from me and my husband and just had a light runny nose and was more tired than usual, no fever (thank you, breastfeeding). Sending positive thoughts! I have this fear too. Flu season is coming to a close soon. We're almost there!

cofo
08-03-19, 12:33
Yeah, my teenage son is still running a low grade fever. Yesterday was 100.7, but it’s the only symptom. Flu test was negative but it may have just been too early to detect.the dr said it was a virus . He is not feeling badly except for the fever related stuff like slight headache, body ache chills. He did say his neck hurt a little yesterday which concerned me. But he said maybe a crick in his neck from falling asleep on the plane. He said it was pain level of 2 out of 10. I had to tell myself that anything sinister would be more severe pain. Right?!?!

Once we control the fever he feels better. . Not normal but better. He has had the flu before 3 times that I remember and it’s always been mild. I really wish the fever would break today for good. I’m starting to worry and we are out of town for my father in laws funeral today.

cofo
10-03-19, 13:28
So I’m starting to worry about sepsis and need some reassurance from this forum, especially since it’s because of this forum that I’m even worrying about sepsis!!! Lol

Day 5 with the low grade fever 99-100 yesterday. He didn’t have it in the morning yesterday but it came back by afternoon. He’s coughing some and has a headache some that feels like sinus congestion pressure. But it’s all very mild.
It’s sunday. He hasn’t gotten up yet, but I don’t know what to do. My husband says wait til tomorrow to take him back to regular dr. Which sounds reasonable and better since the walk ins are full of other really sick people. But I’m wondering if we need to go to a walk-in urgent care today. What if he gets sepsis tonight?

BlueIris
10-03-19, 13:38
If it's all very mild, you may as well wait and go to his regular doctor, who knows his history.

Did you say he was a teenager? If you're in the US, it doesn't seem to me that he's lying in particularly late.

cofo
10-03-19, 14:09
Yes it’s been mild this whole time. He’s eating and functioning pretty normally. I’d like to wait to see his regular dr. But I can’t tell if it’s my gut saying to go today or my anxiety. The sepsis thing is scaring me.

BlueIris
10-03-19, 14:11
It really sounds as though it might be your anxiety acting up this time. The problem with us anxious people is that our gut instincts tend to be absolutely rubbish.

Fishmanpa
10-03-19, 14:32
Worrying about sepsis when someone is suffering from an obvious case of a minor bug is a perfect example of catastophizing and textbook HA behavior. In this case, it's like worrying about a hurricane on a rainy day.

Reassurance isn't the answer here. Common sense is. You can say the usual.. "I know but that's HA for ya", but it still doesn't change the facts and reassurance is still not the answer :shrug:

Positive thoughts

cofo
10-03-19, 14:56
Yes. I’d love to just go with common sense. And I’ve been doing pretty well the past few days considering my HA/OCD was really bothering me prior to him getting sick. I have tried really hard to not catastrophize but it’s starting to get harder to do. 5 days of a fever . We’ve never had this before. Usually he has maybe 3 at the most.
Right now he woke up without a fever. Maybe it will stay that way today and not be like yesterday where it came back in the afternoon.

I appreciate your advice. I’m going to try to take today as it comes.

Scass
10-03-19, 19:42
I’ve just had 5 days of a fever, a low grade one too. He’s resting, let him rest and heal. Keep up with pain meds if he wants them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk