PDA

View Full Version : Chronic sore throat

JB33
03-03-19, 11:40
Had a sore throat now for around 4 weeks, maybe longer. It’s mainly on my left side. Seen the dr and the dentist, the dr said take antibiotics and come back but the dentist said looks ok, maybe a little inflamed tonsils. My usual dr too only a few days prior said looks fine so reluctant to take antibiotics on that basis.

It still feels sore though and sometimes when swallowing, even saliva there is a sharp pinching type pain around the Adam’s apple area. I can recreate it by tensing my throat by moving Adam’s apple up and down and also by yawning. Trying to think it maybe muscular as well as a viral/bacterial thing.
I also suffer with GERD so maybe some LPR going on too and Globus. Have a burning/irritant sensation too almost like it’s coming from my nose and lower throat but tried antihistamine and spray which doesn’t help. It’s the pain that worries me though ... intermittent and only happens every now and then when tensing or swallowing. Phlegm in back of throat too which feels like I need to clear.

Worried it’s something serious, any advice? Really want to ask for an ENT referral but worried I’ll just worry (which is my my dr hasn’t done it)

Any words of advice from anyone?

Had this sore throat before about a year ago too and always seems to be on left side.

JB33
10-03-19, 09:53
I went to the dr and he said he wasn’t worried and had a look. I still can’t get the feeling that something isn’t right out of my head. I feel it around the Adam’s apple area and sometimes she swallowing there is a pinching type pain.

Why wint this feeling budge and also 88 views and no reply :(

BlueIris
10-03-19, 10:05
Sometimes people just don't know what to say, JB, and that's when you get views but no response. Best I can say is that if your doctor isn't worried, you probably don't need to be either.

I get a sore throat at pretty much no provocation and have done for years - it can be triggered by aircon, strong perfume or even talking too much! I've never seen a doctor about it, but for what it's worth, I haven't keeled over yet!

Wishing you well, and hoping you get a resolution for this soon.

harper92
10-03-19, 18:54
I had this same thing go on for a few weeks. I have GERD as well which can cause a chronic sore throat. At the time I also had a minor cold so my lymph nodes were a bit inflamed. I felt the pain mostly on my left side as well. There are so many benign things this could be, I honestly wouldn't worry too much. I know it's hard since I was in a fit when I had the lymph node swelling, but it went away and hasn't come back since. I have the irritated nose feeling and phlegm in the back of my throat with my GERD too, it's uncomfortable but reading about why it happens due to the reflux acid helps my anxiety.

SarahNah
11-03-19, 00:41
I'm having constant throat issues also x I know it's hard and I wish I could offer some help but just know you're not alone x

JB33
12-03-19, 09:30
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply, very much appreciated.

I’ve calmed myself down by being more mindful and trying to get a grip on my meal health. Eating better, more activity and being mindful really help. I’m going to try and trust the dr advice and not chase a more sinister diagnosis and trust it’s my reflux and anxiety.