PDA

View Full Version : Tooth enamel thinning???

Double_Rainbow
03-03-19, 14:36
I noticed a few days ago that my front upper teeth have become different shades: the top one closer to the gum is more whitish-opaque while the lower halfs are more grayish and semi-transparent. A quick search identified the likely issue: ENAMEL LOSS! I am so upset, I don't know what to do. I try taking excellent care of my teeth and still this happened. I am ashamed to smile, every time I open my mouth all I see is this UGLY grey discoloration! I have ordered whitening trays to see if that can mask the coloring a bit, but I don't have high hopes. The only thing that can fix this are veneers, but I am not ready yet for this invasive solution.

I don't even have any bad habits that could have caused this, except I drink sparkling water (la croix, perrier, bubly etc) but IDK if that is the culprit? You always hear how good it is for you. I stopped drinking it but the damage cannot be undone. I guess I just want you guys to look at the pics from 2014 and now and see what you think? When I look at it it seems HORRID, but I know that I can't fully trust my perception either. I already had this a little in 2014 (never realized this until now tho) but it has clearly gotten worse, esp on the top front teeth. I don't understand, if it were due to acid damage, won't ALL or most teeth show evidence of that? As you see I don't have any chips, gaps, significant wear, etc. Please tell me your opinion. Does it look ugly? Do I need veneers? Thanks!

Fishmanpa
03-03-19, 14:55
Perception vs. reality? If you're that convinced and it's bothering you, maybe an OTC teeth whitener or a trip to the dentist for a cleaning and exam?

Positive thoughts

utrocket09
03-03-19, 15:11
I noticed a few days ago that my front upper teeth have become different shades: the top one closer to the gum is more whitish-opaque while the lower halfs are more grayish and semi-transparent. A quick search identified the likely issue: ENAMEL LOSS! I am so upset, I don't know what to do. I try taking excellent care of my teeth and still this happened. I am ashamed to smile, every time I open my mouth all I see is this UGLY grey discoloration! I have ordered whitening trays to see if that can mask the coloring a bit, but I don't have high hopes. The only thing that can fix this are veneers, but I am not ready yet for this invasive solution.

I don't even have any bad habits that could have caused this, except I drink sparkling water (la croix, perrier, bubly etc) but IDK if that is the culprit? You always hear how good it is for you. I stopped drinking it but the damage cannot be undone. I guess I just want you guys to look at the pics from 2014 and now and see what you think? When I look at it it seems HORRID, but I know that I can't fully trust my perception either. I already had this a little in 2014 (never realized this until now tho) but it has clearly gotten worse, esp on the top front teeth. I don't understand, if it were due to acid damage, won't ALL or most teeth show evidence of that? As you see I don't have any chips, gaps, significant wear, etc. Please tell me your opinion. Does it look ugly? Do I need veneers? Thanks!

The only person that can offically diagnosis enamel loss is a dentist. So, see about making an appointment.

Double_Rainbow
03-03-19, 15:49
Perception vs. reality? If you're that convinced and it's bothering you, maybe an OTC teeth whitener or a trip to the dentist for a cleaning and exam?

Positive thoughts
I had a cleaning and an exam a couple months back, the dentist didn't say anything. I didn't ask about it specifically though. OTC teeth whitener is definitely in order, all I have to do is hope that it will make at least a small difference.

Double_Rainbow
03-03-19, 15:51
The only person that can offically diagnosis enamel loss is a dentist. So, see about making an appointment.
I was there a couple months back (not even), he didn't say anything. I did post the pics on just answers and the dentist (at least he said he was a dentist) confirmed it was enamel demineralization. He did say that unless my teeth are sensitive (they aren't), at this time he wouldn't recommend anything.

Double_Rainbow
03-03-19, 15:54
As I am doing research, I realize that any drink besides plain water and milk has tooth erosive potential to some degree. Even some bottled plain waters have erosive potential, judging by their pH. I wonder if anyone tested La Croix or Bubly with the pH strip? I ordered some strips, would be interesting to see what it shows.

nomorepanic
03-03-19, 17:14
I have worn the enamel off two of my teeth both top and bottom so they look more yellowy - there is nothing that can be done to reverse it now.

RadioGaGa
03-03-19, 20:23
Only a qualified dentist can answer this question. I can't really see what you're asking about, your teeth just look a tad more yellow than before?

I bleach my teeth at home using a kit provided by my dentist - it works great and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone!

Good luck

SnowyGreen
05-03-19, 07:26
Your teeth don't look grey at all. You have lovely teeth in my opinion. I wouldn't be ashamed of them at all