PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your pancakes?

BlueIris
05-03-19, 07:59
It's pancake day, so I thought I'd ask about people's favourite pancake toppings.

I always make sure to have at least one with lemon and sugar, but my husband likes his with cheese and marmite.

We also make sure we raid the fridge to try some more, erm, unusual toppings - I'm looking forward to having one with some leftover pulled pork and hoisin sauce.

How do you like yours?

Carnation
05-03-19, 09:45
Traditional and homemade.
It's part of the fun to make them yourself.
I have always related them to a desert and one of my favourites is sliced banana, golden syrup and squirty cream. :)

BlueIris
05-03-19, 09:48
I think you have to homemake them, yes - I'm working today, so my husband will make the batter but I might help cook them.

Sometimes we do savoury ones made with chickpea flour and yogurt, but this year we fancied the conventional sort. I'm not much of a banana fan, but golden syrup is glorious on pancakes.

jojo2316
05-03-19, 11:01
Lemon and sugar of course!

MyNameIsTerry
05-03-19, 11:55
Strawberry jam and honey. Not experimented much with them really. They were protein pancakes for a boost but not had them for a while. Never really bothered with them before but I'm in oatcake land which we regard as the king of foods :yesyes:

BlueIris
05-03-19, 11:57
Ohhh, love oatcakes! Love everything with oats, really.

jojo2316
05-03-19, 12:01
Strawberry jam and honey. Not experimented much with them really. They were protein pancakes for a boost but not had them for a while. Never really bothered with them before but I'm in oatcake land which we regard as the king of foods :yesyes:

jam and honey TOGETHER???? OMG

jojo2316
05-03-19, 12:02
I’m appalled!

KK77
05-03-19, 12:10
Strawberry jam and honey.

Greedy boy! :lac:

Honey, I shrank the pancakes :wacko:

Carys
05-03-19, 12:26
I like LOADS, and I've just found some biscoff spread at the supermarche.....hurrah de doo dah.

Lemon and sugar you can't beat, but for many years I did lots of experimenting (even proper filling recipes!) and went to lots of effort with fruity fillings and all sorts....and everybody came back to lemon and sugar.

Carys
05-03-19, 12:27
sliced banana, golden syrup and squirty cream. :smile:

Yup, favourite of my daughter that one! Nuts and caramel are a pretty good combo too, like macadamia with some white chocolate and caramel. Sugar OVERLOADDDDDddd

jojo2316
05-03-19, 15:08
Oooooh biscoff spread. I LIKE that idea!!

jojo2316
05-03-19, 15:09
Currently making panners with wild garlic, feta and lemon. Which my children won’t eat.

Carys
05-03-19, 15:11
crushed walnut, goats cheese with honey drizzled over is our favourite savoury, mind thats with crepes rather than pancakes.

Which my children won’t eat.

How old are said children ?

BlueIris
05-03-19, 15:12
Jojo, I'm so jealous, that sounds like heaven!

If I was home I'd stuff mine with chicken, bacon and mushroom sauce then top them with cheese and bake them.

jojo2316
05-03-19, 15:14
crushed walnut, goats cheese with honey drizzled over is our favourite savoury.

How old are said children ?
YUM!
wish I’d though of that before starting on this. Would’ve gone well with asparagus I got today.
They are 13, 11, 9 and 6. The 9 year old in particular only likes to eat refined carbohydrates. Her poo is pale yellow (insert yucky face emoji here!!)

Carys
05-03-19, 19:45
Jojo, the older ones should be able to eat that without turning their noses up ! Maybe the 6 year old....not...

Right someone help me here;

Same batter as always, same frying pan as always, same method....but different thing happened. When I flipped them over the middle of them puffed up huge with like hot air underneath. I had to press them down with a spatula as they cooked. Whys that then, anyone else ?

pulisa
05-03-19, 21:02
Irritable Batter Syndrome?

BlueIris
05-03-19, 21:04
Why does every thread on this forum eventually land up being about excrement? :roflmao:

pulisa
05-03-19, 21:17
Sorry but couldn't resist that one....

Scass
05-03-19, 21:32
Cheese & marmite???! Bleurgh, I’d be thinking divorce [emoji1]

Lemon & sugar here. 5yo had Nutella in hers [emoji846]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carys
05-03-19, 21:37

Oh you are on form today P, you are probably right and I should just STOP CHECKING.:roflmao:

Why does every thread on this forum eventually land up being about excrement?

Default position I think BLueiris

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-19, 01:59
I feel like I've broken some pancake testament or something with the jam and honey.

Thou shalt not combine the pulping of the fruit with the excretion of the bee

:biggrin:

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-19, 02:03
Ohhh, love oatcakes! Love everything with oats, really.

Me too. I love porridge oats and have it daily. Anything oatey is always good.

Oatcakes would be on our local flag if we created one now. They've been filled with bacon & cheese and dripping through the bags they get served in for years. Oatcakes, hardening the arteries of Stokies for generations, any doctor who dared say they should be banned would be chased out of the city by pitchforks a matter of hours later http://yoursmiles.org/psmile/military/p0257.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/p-military.php?page=3):yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-19, 02:05

Back and on form :roflmao:

jojo2316
06-03-19, 09:29
HURRAH!!! Lovely to see you on here again P!!
Of COURSE my horrible children didn’t eat their lovely wild garlic pancakes.

BlueIris
06-03-19, 09:41
I would've done. The lemon and sugar ones were really good, though. Delia Smith's basic pancake recipe is a thing of wonder.

Carys
06-03-19, 09:41
Thou shalt not combine the pulping of the fruit with the excretion of the bee

Ha ha ! It makes no logical sense, honey and jam, they are both sweet and sticky, why the combination ?

I would have eaten your pancakes, all my household would have actually. Horrible children !

Yeah, I use the Deliah one also, where you add the melted butter and whip it in.

jojo2316
06-03-19, 10:45
Cheese & marmite???! Bleurgh, I’d be thinking divorce [emoji1]

Lemon & sugar here. 5yo had Nutella in hers [emoji846]

WHO suggested cheese and marmite?! YUCKY YUCK YUCK

BlueIris
06-03-19, 10:56
My husband loves them, and I'm pretty fond of them, too.

We make cheese and marmite popcorn, too.

Carys
06-03-19, 11:01
Cheese and marmite is a great combo ! There are some marmite cracker type things you can buy now, with grated cheese ontop.

BlueIris
06-03-19, 11:05
Also marmite rice cakes - those are lovely!

jojo2316
06-03-19, 11:11
Cheese and marmite is a great combo ! There are some marmite cracker type things you can buy now, with grated cheese ontop.
But not with pancakes! Too schloopy.

Carys
06-03-19, 11:22
Yeah, I'm in agreement there......not on pancakes!

....marmite crisps :yesyes:

MyNameIsTerry
06-03-19, 12:03
Same batter as always, same frying pan as always, same method....but different thing happened. When I flipped them over the middle of them puffed up huge with like hot air underneath. I had to press them down with a spatula as they cooked. Whys that then, anyone else ?You're not supposed to flip Yorkshire puds :biggrin:

jojo2316
06-03-19, 12:20
You're not supposed to flip Yorkshire puds :biggrin:
In America they call Yorkshire puds “popovers” (they actually think they invented them) and they eat them with cinnamon and sugar. Typical Americans but so yummy

BlueIris
06-03-19, 12:25
I think there's a French dessert called a clafoutis that's basically a sweet Yorkshire pudding studded with fruit.

jojo2316
06-03-19, 12:34
I think there's a French dessert called a clafoutis that's basically a sweet Yorkshire pudding studded with fruit.
Well they probably did invent that to be fair. The french would rather starve than get any culinary inspiration from us

Scass
06-03-19, 13:33
I’m one of those in the loathing marmite category. Isn’t it odd how it’s so divisive!

I once had bananas & warm chocolate sauce in a pancake. It was delicious [emoji39]

BlueIris
06-03-19, 13:35
One year, my husband went temporarily insane and made pancake enchiladas. Probably the unhealthiest meal in existence, but very, very good.

Scass
06-03-19, 18:18
One year, my husband went temporarily insane and made pancake enchiladas. Probably the unhealthiest meal in existence, but very, very good.

So you both really like a savoury pancake! My partner wouldn’t know how to handle a savoury one. It would equate to a vegan sausage roll for him [emoji23]

BlueIris
06-03-19, 18:24
Vegan sausage rolls are great, though, at least the Greggs ones are.

Scass
06-03-19, 18:52
I bet they are, I love Greggs [emoji39]

mezzaninedoor
07-03-19, 18:24
I love a tuna/cheese savoury pancake
I love a maple syrup sweet pancake

but even better
I prefer to make a yorkshire pudding with golden syrup

Scass
07-03-19, 18:38
I love a tuna/cheese savoury pancake
I love a maple syrup sweet pancake

but even better
I prefer to make a yorkshire pudding with golden syrup

So you drizzle the syrup over at the end?

mezzaninedoor
07-03-19, 23:23
So you drizzle the syrup over at the end?

Absolutely. Bloomin gorgeous

Fishmanpa
07-03-19, 23:36
I'm reading these answers and I'm :huh: I grew up putting a little smidge of butter and maple syrup on pancakes. When I moved to Virginia, I was introduced to pancakes smothered in sausage gravy. Not that some of those toppings don't sound good, just a different taste perspective than here.

Positive thoughts

ErinKC
08-03-19, 01:38
I'm reading these answers and I'm :huh: I grew up putting a little smidge of butter and maple syrup on pancakes. When I moved to Virginia, I was introduced to pancakes smothered in sausage gravy. Not that some of those toppings don't sound good, just a different taste perspective than here.

I was thinking the same, but then realized that maybe they're talking more about crepes than traditional pancakes? I've had crepes with all kinds of things, sweet and savory, because we have an awesome crepe place in Baltimore. But, when we make regular old pancakes at home it's just butter and syrup!

BlueIris
08-03-19, 05:43
Yep, pancakes in the UK are crepes.

A friend in Vermont sent me a can of pancake mix, though, and those were delicious too.

jojo2316
08-03-19, 18:30

Positive thoughts

Sausage juice pancakes??!?!?! Why aren’t my emojis working any more? I need one for here!

Carys
08-03-19, 21:23
NO, no there is crepe and pancake confusion here......

American pancakes are made different to UK pancakes, as American are fluffy and rise a bit with baking powder, and have added sugar (I believe?)

UK pancakes are flat,thickish but unrisen; flour, milk, egg and a bit of melted butter.

Crepes are very similar to UK pancakes (some use it interchangeable crepe/pancake, but there are subtle differences) but crepes should be much thinner, larger and usually have cream and sometimes sugar added to the batter, and are only cooked one side.

Galettes - same as crepes but buckwheat flour and used for savoury fillings.

Am I talking complete rubbish, possibly ?!?!

ErinKC
09-03-19, 00:59
NO, no there is crepe and pancake confusion here......

American pancakes are made different to UK pancakes, as American are fluffy and rise a bit with baking powder, and have added sugar (I believe?)

UK pancakes are flat,thickish but unrisen; flour, milk, egg and a bit of melted butter.

Crepes are very similar to UK pancakes (some use it interchangeable crepe/pancake, but there are subtle differences) but should be much thinner, larger and usually have cream and sometimes sugar added, and only cooked one side.

Galettes - same as crepes but buckwheat flour

Am I talking complete rubbish, possibly ?!?!

No, this makes sense. I just googled pictures, too, and the UK pancakes definitely look closer to crepes (and likely very, very close to how the very non-authentic crepes of American casual dining look). And, American pancakes are very thick and airy/fluffy. I am not a huge American pancake fan, but love crepes, so I'd probably love the pancakes you make in the UK!

ErinKC
09-03-19, 01:05
Sausage juice pancakes??!?!?! Why aren’t my emojis working any more? I need one for here!

Haha, sausage gravy is DELICIOUS! It's not a sausage juice, but a cream sauce with sausage. As I type that I realize that's probably not making it sound more appealing, but it's amazing. It's traditionally served over fresh biscuits, but could definitely be good on pancakes, too!

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 01:55
Holy crepe, Batman!

I wonder if millions of French people are tutting right now? :biggrin:

ErinKC
09-03-19, 02:58
Holy crepe, Batman!

I wonder if millions of French people are tutting right now? :biggrin:

The French would definitely not approve of the crepes they serve here! They have offerings such as pulled pork BBQ, Thanksgiving (turkey, cranberry sauce), and one named after Kevin Bacon. :D

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 04:51
The French would definitely not approve of the crepes they serve here! They have offerings such as pulled pork BBQ, Thanksgiving (turkey, cranberry sauce), and one named after Kevin Bacon. :D

The Kevin Bacon :roflmao:

I bet pulled pork is a great combo. In my area we have a local delicacy, the oatcake. You don't get it elsewhere in the UK, although some have taken it over the pond with the ex pats to you guys, but you can't beat a greasy bacon, cheese and tomato one.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Staffordshire_oatcake_breakfast.jpg

Lola-Lee
09-03-19, 09:51
Gee Terry I nearly spewed looking at that it looks awful,but then again I have eaten worse.:D

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 13:21
Gee Terry I nearly spewed looking at that it looks awful,but then again I have eaten worse.:DYou would get chased out of the city with pitchforks and burning torches if you said around here, Lola :biggrin:They look better than that example, the online pics aren't all flattering.

Carys
09-03-19, 13:23
OH THOSE are oatcakes.....I thought they were something entirely different.....I'm going to look up the recipe for them now and give them a go.

Hold on...if I search 'oatcakes' I get what I thought I'd get, those hard oat cracker/biscuit things.

Carys
09-03-19, 13:25
Staffordshire oatcake.....is that the thing?

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 13:36
Yep, Staffordshire oatcakes. We have local oatcake makers so the stores sell them. It's like how if you head down South to Dorset you get some great apple juice sold in the supermarkets but we can't get any of those up here.

Oatcakes are generally thin but some make them thicker. The thin ones can go crispy quickly, depends how you like them.

After you have the oatcake itself you just shove a load of grease in it so it drips everywhere :biggrin:

There are other regional variations, I think I've seen Yorkshire ones somewhere, but you don't get ours outside of Stoke-On-Trent. My brother takes some back every time he visits from his new home in Yorkshire.

Lola - typing that in my phone tried to insert Stoke-On-Trump :ohmy::roflmao: He probably would rename it after himself :biggrin: then you could rename the dish to the scroatcake :ohmy:

Carys
09-03-19, 13:44
Ha ha SCROAT cake !!!! Excellent !!

Rightho, so I can use ghee as the fat right ? They look a bit to me like thick Indian chapatis ?

NO eggs right ?

BlueIris
09-03-19, 13:48
Going to have to give those a go.

Next week I'll be heading to Leicester, to a place that does really wonderful dosas.

Carys
09-03-19, 13:53
really wonderful dosas.

I didn't know about those either !!!

A whole world of pancakey things ready to try.

BlueIris
09-03-19, 13:56
Ohhh, dosas are pancake heaven, lighter even than continental crepes.

This place fills them with a mild potato curry, it's a nightmare to get to from where I live but it's worth it once a year or so.

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 14:08
Ha ha SCROAT cake !!!! Excellent !!

Rightho, so I can use ghee as the fat right ? They look a bit to me like thick Indian chapatis ?

NO eggs right ?

Some people put eggs in as a filling or sausage. There are some ideas in the Metro link on here:

http://billpearson.co.uk/oatcakes/

Quite similar to a couple of Indian pancakes by the looks of it.

Don't know about ghee...being a bloke I just buy them and stuff them in my mouth :yesyes:

It's a shame oatcake makers won't say, one of them lives 300 yards from me and another a quarter of a mile in the other direction (that little outbuilding in the link).

Carys
09-03-19, 14:20
Don't know about ghee...being a bloke I just buy them and stuff them in my mouth

Ah so you aren't actually MAKING them then !!!!! Poo to you Terry.

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 14:37
Ah so you aren't actually MAKING them then !!!!! Poo to you Terry.

I'm not good in the kitchen!

Besides I was warned against the kind of skill a Master Baker needs, apparently you can go blind :whistles:

(Or turn into Paul Hollywood...and end up with a large soggy bottom)

We have oatcake shops around here as well as all the supermarkets selling them so after you've made yours you will be one up on many Stokies.

Carys
09-03-19, 14:39
I've heard that too about Master Bakers ! Sensible, yes, you don't want to lose your eyesight.......(or get a repetitive strain injury)

Paul HOllywood so LOVES himself doesn't he.

BlueIris
09-03-19, 14:44
Surprising he's still got his eyesight, really...:whistles:

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 14:46
In his case though it's perhaps more that he is one rather than does a lot of the activity in question :winks:

BlueIris
09-03-19, 14:47
I dunno, those muscular arms, could be either, really.

Carys
09-03-19, 15:00
Yeah, he might be metaphorically (rather than actually) a wa***r, but there we go.....

MyNameIsTerry
09-03-19, 15:22
It probably takes a fair bit of strength to carry that enormous head around :biggrin: