PDA

View Full Version : White patches side of tongue

Hangside
05-03-19, 20:16
Anybody familiar with this? It started off as one small white area at the beginning of January and the 2nd pic is today. The 3rd is about a week ago showing the way it’s raised. It seems to grow pretty steadily. It evens regresses a little and then comes back even worse than before. I’m hoping it’s some sort of frictional keratosis but I’m not aware of me doing anything to cause it. I have an appointment with an oral surgeon soon but was looking for some answers while waiting.

Thank you!
https://i.imgur.com/Fff86PR.jpg?s=sms
https://imgur.com/a/YSzL5R3?s=sms
https://imgur.com/a/pUS9eFA?s=sms

Scass
05-03-19, 21:36
Possibly oral thrush? I get it but I can honestly say I’ve never stuck a camera in my mouth to take a close up picture of it, so I couldn’t be completely certain.
Does it feel a bit raised, or sore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fishmanpa
05-03-19, 21:52
Anybody familiar with this?

I can honestly say I’ve never stuck a camera in my mouth to take a close up picture Neither have I! :wacko: And I'm an oral cancer survivor!

Is it Mouth Cave - Sandia Tx?

Seriously though... how can you expect an answer from an anxiety forum? :shrug:

Positive thoughts

nomorepanic
05-03-19, 22:13
We don't encourage the posting of pics asking for a diagnosis as we cannot do that.

Please wait until you see a professional.

Hangside
05-03-19, 23:33
Thanks Scass but no it’s not thrush but I do appreciate the suggestion.

Fishmanpa-I’m sorry that you had to deal with OC but it’s good to see you being a help here.

I know it seems silly for me to be here asking it’s just this has been on my plate for over a year. As a former alcoholic I noticed white patches in my throat about a year ago. My Dr. sent me to an ENT who pretty much yelled that it’s not cancer.(I just wanted it ruled out even if it were potentially pre malignant and everything says you need a biopsy for that.) I asked him if we could biopsy to be sure and he didn’t want to do it but he ended up removing one patch and submitting it as a benign specimen before the pathologist even looked at it. Report came back as inflamed tonsillar tissue but I was still unsettled that maybe my drinking had something to do with it. I asked him for a copy of the biopsy report but he wouldn’t give me anything but the bottom line. He was not very kind and pretty much that was that.

So now I have these spots on my tongue that are worrying me. I have an appointment with an oral surgeon but I’ve seen my dentist and another ENT who don’t seem concerned with this. Am I wrong but from my understanding any spot in the mouth needs to be biopsied if there longer then 2-4 weeks to know for sure? Unfortunately all of this stuff seems to have blurry lines between benign and not.

I guess I’m just grasping at straws hoping this may be something someone else may have dealt with while I wait for my appointment.

Sorry for the pics...I won’t post anymore.

Fishmanpa
05-03-19, 23:47
I know it seems silly for me to be here asking it’s just this has been on my plate for over a year. As a former alcoholic I noticed white patches in my throat about a year ago. My Dr. sent me to an ENT who pretty much yelled that it’s not cancer.(I just wanted it ruled out even if it were potentially pre malignant and everything says you need a biopsy for that.) I asked him if we could biopsy to be sure and he didn’t want to do it but he ended up removing one patch and submitting it as a benign specimen before the pathologist even looked at it. Report came back as inflamed tonsillar tissue but I was still unsettled that maybe my drinking had something to do with it. I asked him for a copy of the biopsy report but he wouldn’t give me anything but the bottom line. He was not very kind and pretty much that was that.

End of story... ;) Really glad for you!

Positive thoughts

Scass
06-03-19, 06:41

Positive thoughts

Quite!
Why are you asking? Several medical professionals have told you what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hangside
06-03-19, 22:26

Positive thoughts

Fishmanpa I take responsibility for my health anxiety. That is part of the reason I use to drink. I am in therapy and on medication. Mid December I told myself enough is enough. I stopped looking at my mouth and forged ahead. Not until January I was examining it just to have a monthly look and noticed the small white place that I posted yesterday. I told myself things come and go all the time and didn’t look anymore. I had my physical coming up about 2 1/2 weeks afterwards and checked to see if it was still there. I about fell over when I saw that it was double the size. It has continued to grow everyday. My dentist measured it at 8mmx4mm last week. I know all about leukoplakia and precancerous lesions. I know it doesn’t look like anything at this point but I’m worried that it’s growing so quickly. I have tried to wear a night guard in hopes that if I’m grinding my teeth that would help but it hasn’t. Considering I’m 46 with one of the top risk factors has me concerned. I am in no way wanting to disrespect you. I’m just trying to find something right now that may help alleviate some of the worry.

This is a new area all together. I know the Dr.s can’t tell me by looking if it’s innocent or not therefore I’m anxious until I know.

pinkyd
06-03-19, 23:37
As a dental hygienist, I wouldn't look at that and be concerned. It isn't thrush. It isn't red nor ulcerated. I'm not the one looking in your mouth, but I would look at whether your teeth may be rubbing the area, things like that, but I wouldn't be all that concerned at what I was seeing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

pinkyd
06-03-19, 23:44
But, you do have an appointment so make sure to ask all the questions you need, and get the reassurance you're looking for to feel better about the anxiety this is causing you. Oral surgeons see all kinds of things all day and they know what they're seeing, so you'll have to trust the answers so you can put your mind at ease.

Hangside
07-03-19, 00:11
Thank you so much pinkyd for taking the time to give your opinion. That means a lot!

pinkyd
07-03-19, 03:12
[emoji4] I understand health anxiety and gosh what we do to ourselves . Keep us updated and sending you well wishes.