PDA

View Full Version : Throat/Lungs Feeling - Cough Won't Go Away

tttdawg
06-03-19, 20:23
So....

Mid-December I got a pretty nasty cold. Sore threat, light fever, the works. A week after the cold subsided I was left with an absolutely nasty cough. As the weeks went by I noticed the cough was not really letting up. Long story short, had 2 chest x-rays, blood work, multiple doc visits, and was prescribed a cortosteroid inhaler as well as special cough syrup to reduce the need to cough.

Three months later....I'm still coughing (though much less) but I've been left with this awful feeling in the deep back of my throat/lungs. It almost feels like there is water or phlegm there or some sort of obstruction. The most annoying thing is that there is like a constant tickle back there.
Everywhere I look it's telling me that it is just the narrowing of the throat but I'm genuinely freaked out. My biggest concerns are either throat or lung cancer (though I feel like the xrays probably ruled out lung?).

One thing to note, I do have both asthma and acid reflux. My asthma has been pretty much gone since I was a kid but came back this Winter during my fight with this cough.
I had my acid reflux looked at last year with a scope. Results were relatively normal (some inflammation).

Has anyone ever had to go through something like this?

tttdawg
06-03-19, 20:58
One thing during the scope that I did get diagnosed with was eosinophilic esophagitis.

NervUs
06-03-19, 23:16
All of those symptoms you describe are how I got diagnosed with asthma. At age 45.

You should get rechecked b/c inhalers might help you!!

tttdawg
07-03-19, 17:55
Yeah, I had asthma really bad when I was young and then I just grew out of it. But I think the cold this winter triggered it back. Very annoying and uncomfortable feeling. I will say my albuterol inhaler makes me feel 10x better.

Problem is I hate using it daily even though I only take maybe 1-2 puffs per day total. I just read that you really shouldn't take it daily.
I'm also on 2 puffs per day of Flovent. Can't tell if that is helping at all though.

Frustrating..

Scass
07-03-19, 17:58
I would maybe try using your inhaler more? I had something similar last year and my airways were inflamed meaning I was coughing loads. I was told to use my inhaler every 4-6 hours & it worked. The doctor likes to see you if you’re using your inhaler alot because it means you might need a medication review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttdawg
07-03-19, 18:08
Which inhaler were you taking every 4-6 hours, cortisteroid or albuterol?

Scass
07-03-19, 18:43
I’m in the UK and its salbutamol here. But please get advice from a medical professional and not a stranger on the internet [emoji846]

tttdawg
08-03-19, 17:35
Has anyone here ever been diagnosed with eosinophilic esophagitis? I guess it's considered a rare disease, there isn't much literature online about it other than you should take a PPI...

Fishmanpa
08-03-19, 18:01
eosinophilic esophagitis?

Courtesy of Dr. Google ;)

Positive thoughts

tttdawg
08-03-19, 18:50
No, I actually got diagnosed after a scope :(

Last year I was struggling with the dreaded globus sensation and reoccurring sore throats..

Fishmanpa
08-03-19, 19:16
Looks like its very similar to reflux in symptoms and treatment. A PPI and diet changes. What else can you do?

Positive thoughts

tttdawg
08-03-19, 19:40
I'm actually putting off taking the PPI as I keep reading about nasty long-term side effects. I hate taking medication (even though I feel like I'm already on a ton for being only 32).

Scass
08-03-19, 19:57
What were you prescribed?

Fishmanpa
08-03-19, 20:11
I'm actually putting off taking the PPI as I keep reading about nasty long-term side effects. I hate taking medication (even though I feel like I'm already on a ton for being only 32).

Both my wife and I have reflux. We both take Pantoprazole and have been for years with no side effects. That along with the FODMAP (https://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/) diet and we've been good. Take the meds and modify your diet. You have a real physical issue that needs treatment.

Positive thoughts

tttdawg
08-03-19, 20:53
Flovent
Albuterol
Cymbalta

Just to name a few...