PDA

View Full Version : Rapid weight loss

Lana
07-03-19, 16:08
Hello everyone,

Since August 2018 I lost probably over 10 lb ( at this point scared to weigh myself), but my clothes feel looser almost on a daily basis. Past 12 months, and especially since summer 2018, my depression and anxiety have been horrible, much worsened, and in general I simply eat little - but , I have not been eating less since August 2018, and the weight is just going down. I had colonoscopy in November - negative. I often see doctors, so I know there is nothing suspicious with my lungs, or my lymph nodes, or anything that can be immediately found or noticed by a doctor. I had negative mammogram in December . I tested in December for HIV - negative, plus I am not sexually active, neither I use drugs. When I look up various reasons for unexplained wight loss, and go over symptoms, the only one that comes sort of close is the possibility of diabetes, but I recently had couple of urine cultures, and nothing related to diabetes shows up, all negative. I have physical on March 18th, and I am dreading it ( comprehensive blood work and metabolic panel). If someone could just give me some words of comfort - is there an illness where rapid weight loss would be the first and almost only symptom? Can deep depression and constant anxiety cause it alone , this significantly? My gyno is in early April, but I go regularly, and last years was all normal. I am dreading mornings for I am not sure at this point if a skirt will stay on me ( it still does). Please, just share some of your experiences. I am 57, and a sole caregiver to old, and sick mother. Thank you all.

Fishmanpa
07-03-19, 16:22
Since August 2018 I lost probably over 10 lb

That's not "rapid weight loss" in the least. Stress and anxiety can and does cause loss of appetite suppression and weight loss. There are no 'what ifs' or 'yeah buts' here.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
07-03-19, 16:23
Yeah agreed with FMP

Not even close to being rapid.

10lb in a week or two is rapid, over several months whilst being in such a stressful situation is to be expected.

Lana
07-03-19, 19:10
Thank you guys, but I think it is probably at this point close to 13 - 15 lbs. I also have dry mouth often, no matter how much water I drink. Even my saliva i the morning is sort of stringy, do not know how to even describe it. I am really scared of so many things,so sometimes I even hope that all they find is diabetes, and not something much worse. Although, my hair is not falling, my nails are healthy looking, also inside of my mouth, and the color of my tongue, all this looks pretty healthy. I am on Elavil, maybe that is the cause of my dry mouth, but my dosage is pretty small ( 20 - 30 mgs daily). I also take clonozepam, and I just started small dosage of Lexapro, with the aim to get rid of the clonozepam for good. Had it not been for this damned clothes of mine being looser every day I would probably not panic and think the worst. I am supposed to have a week of vacation from next Monday, after almost 2 years without it, and I am dreading it because I will be thinking about upcoming physical and spoil everything. I am so tired, so exhausted from being like this. Thank you for all your support and suggestions.

Fishmanpa
07-03-19, 20:18
Thank you guys, but I think it is probably at this point close to 13 - 15 lbs.

Still not rapid weight loss :lac: I'm a survivor. I lost 70 pounds in 6 months (from before diagnosis until end of treatment). THAT'S rapid weight loss. 10-15 pounds in 7 months averages out to around 2 pounds a month or around a 1/2 pound in a week. What you're describing is a non-issue :shrug:

Positive thoughts

Weasley123
07-03-19, 20:26
Thank you guys, but I think it is probably at this point close to 13 - 15 lbs. I also have dry mouth often, no matter how much water I drink. Even my saliva i the morning is sort of stringy, do not know how to even describe it. I am really scared of so many things,so sometimes I even hope that all they find is diabetes, and not something much worse. Although, my hair is not falling, my nails are healthy looking, also inside of my mouth, and the color of my tongue, all this looks pretty healthy. I am on Elavil, maybe that is the cause of my dry mouth, but my dosage is pretty small ( 20 - 30 mgs daily). I also take clonozepam, and I just started small dosage of Lexapro, with the aim to get rid of the clonozepam for good. Had it not been for this damned clothes of mine being looser every day I would probably not panic and think the worst. I am supposed to have a week of vacation from next Monday, after almost 2 years without it, and I am dreading it because I will be thinking about upcoming physical and spoil everything. I am so tired, so exhausted from being like this. Thank you for all your support and suggestions.

Dry mouth is a classic anxiety symptom. Also being anxious I think speeds up metabolism I eat very healthy Monday thru Thursday then really go to town weekends takeout cookies candies etc I’m still ten to 15 pounds less then in my 20s

Weasley123
07-03-19, 20:32

Dry mouth is a classic anxiety symptom. Also being anxious I think speeds up metabolism I eat very healthy Monday thru Thursday then really go to town weekends takeout cookies candies etc I’m still ten to 15 pounds less then in my 20s

ankietyjoe
07-03-19, 20:40
Thank you guys, but I think it is probably at this point close to 13 - 15 lbs.

Still not even remotely close to being rapid weight loss. I had a bad man flu (so a cold) a couple of weeks back and pretty much lost that in a week. You're losing 1/2 lb a week, not a day. It's nothing.

Lana
07-03-19, 20:43
Guys, thank you so much. I love the Forum, and it really helps. I know nobody is supposed to diagnose anybody here, but just sharing thoughts, experiences and giving words of comfort , means so, so much. Bless you all - especially Fishmanpa. :bighug1: