PDA

View Full Version : tense scalp and pressure in ears?

giddy
06-09-07, 18:12
Can a tense scalp and head cause a pressure feeling in your ears? I've been very tense at work and keep tensing up my scalp and 'pulling it' back (like when it feels like your ears are moving!!) and by the end of the day it feels like pressure in my ears?I was wondering if this could be caused by the tense scalp? It doesn't really hurt, but I am aware of it!

JohnS
07-09-07, 01:37
I think it can giddy. I'm not sure why but it's like whenever I'm anxious or stressed out like at work.. I get the same feelings.

Mrmagoo
11-09-07, 05:00
Can a tense scalp and head cause a pressure feeling in your ears? I've been very tense at work and keep tensing up my scalp and 'pulling it' back (like when it feels like your ears are moving!!) and by the end of the day it feels like pressure in my ears?I was wondering if this could be caused by the tense scalp? It doesn't really hurt, but I am aware of it!

They say there are millions of nerve endings in the body(yes in the scalp too)

Personally I can vouch for the feeling you have and experienced it many times.

The one I hate the most I suppose is tender scalp or ears burning. Just out of the blue parts of your scalp becomes so tender its hard to comb your hair or just put it out of the way.

Also the ears getting red and burning for no reason tends to kind of scare you a tad. Example: Yesterday I lie on my left side propping the back of my head with my hand.

Last evening I felt the back of my head hurting. I could not for the life of me think of what could have made me hurt there.

As I propped again today on that side I realized that I had put my hand there for hours applying pressure and was tense already .
I went to bed last night head hurting .

I woke this morning with the same and have had it all day .I did not experience it too much during the day but propping to type on the computer just reminded me that it hurt and why.

There is usually a logical explination and to answer your question."What you feel is quite common and happens to most " so quit worrying or even thinking about it. Its ok.

giddy
11-09-07, 16:06
Thanks for your replies John and Mrmagoo!! I've been focusing on relaxing everytime I realise I'm tensing my scalp and the pressure feeling is easing - definately linked to tension!

barbie
12-09-07, 20:32

Are you clenching your teeth? I realised that I clench mine ALL the time without realising, and my head and ears and eyes REALLY HURT!

giddy
13-09-07, 16:33
I think I might be clenching my teeth or holding my jaw because sometimes the pressure feels like its where my top and bottom jaw meet. Do you know what I can do to stop it or relieve the tenseness? I've had bad pressure in my temples today too - is that from tension too?

barbie
13-09-07, 20:30
I think I might be clenching my teeth or holding my jaw because sometimes the pressure feels like its where my top and bottom jaw meet. Do you know what I can do to stop it or relieve the tenseness? I've had bad pressure in my temples today too - is that from tension too?

I would assume the pressure in your temples is from clenching/grinding teeth, and also if you are tensing your scalp a ot like you said in your first post, also squinting could make your temples sore...

I am going to be fitted for a mouth guard at the dentist, you can wear them at night or when you're watching tv etc to stop you clenching/grinding your teeth.

Other than that, I guess the usual relaxation techniques would work?

neon_skyline
15-09-07, 18:46
i had a terrible tension headache for a few weeks which ended up being caused by my sinuses. i then got a full feeling in my ears which i now get often (have it at the moment actually) and my doctor says my ears are a bit inflamed, but this is common. your sinuses connect all of these places, so if they're inflamed in any way you can feel pressure in your head, behind your eyes and cheeks and a fullness in your ear.

sinus problems are so common (and mine were caused by anxiety) and if you think you might have this try putting some menthol crystals in some hot water (but only a tiny bit!) and steaming in the morning and evening for a few minutes.

even if it is not sinus related, pressure and fullness in the ears is a classic symptom of stress and anxiety so try not to worry - like i said i have it now and get it all the time!

sally xxx

giddy
16-09-07, 07:50
Thanks for your replies. It seems to be easing a bit now that I'm trying to relax and stretch my muscles more. The feelings disappear after a bath, shower or yoga so I'm sure they must be tension related!
Thanks again
Helen

Gabby"Anxiety" Perez
21-03-11, 01:18
I have been having this exact feeling accept I have tension in my face and forehead....doctors say sinuses but I had a ct of the sinuses and been on nasal sprays,antibiotics and decongestants and nothing helped.It also happens more when I am stressed and the pain lasts all day and makes me tired and a bit moody.When I take a hot shower the pain seems to go away for a litttle while than comes back full force.