PDA

View Full Version : It's all coming apart

FrankT
09-03-19, 23:29
I mean, the US is a big mess of things that hardly needs to be discussed, but you ever notice, it's even worse here in the UK. Even the rest of Europe is managing compared to us! The very idea makes me want to leave, but I can't bear to leave my friends behind. I'd stock up on food and water in case hyper-inflation happens, but my parents categorically refuse to do even that! So all I can do is suffer. :emot-fail: There's gotta be something I can do to stop this downward spiral I'm in, but right now, I'm not seeing it. I need help...

Fishmanpa
10-03-19, 00:19
I need help...

Agreed. I do understand your concern, but being that there's nothing anyone of us can do about that or other things in our lives other than accept it, there's no sense worrying about hypothetical scenarios.

Seek help in learning that.

Positive thoughts

FrankT
10-03-19, 10:05
Perhaps I should seek out psychoanalytic therapy. It might help more than the CBT I've tried as of late.

ankietyjoe
10-03-19, 12:10
I mean, the US is a big mess of things that hardly needs to be discussed, but you ever notice, it's even worse here in the UK. Even the rest of Europe is managing compared to us! The very idea makes me want to leave, but I can't bear to leave my friends behind. I'd stock up on food and water in case hyper-inflation happens, but my parents categorically refuse to do even that! So all I can do is suffer. :emot-fail: There's gotta be something I can do to stop this downward spiral I'm in, but right now, I'm not seeing it. I need help...

How has any of this directly affected you so far?

And what do you mean be 'all I can do is suffer'? Suffer what exactly? What exactly is causing you to suffer?

Apart from your imagination over something that hasn't happened........

FrankT
10-03-19, 16:57
Well, the economy is expected to collapse because of governmental shortsightedness; the EU wants to restrict our freedom of expression; division on all sides is likely to cause rioting... I could go on! I mean, I could end up in the middle of a riot tomorrow!

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-19, 17:10
I think you are reading too many newspapers of a certain bias, Frank. I'm in the Midlands and you will just see everyone going about their day as if it were before 2016.

There are concerns because there is a financial impact to all this but other than in our capital where things seem to revolve around all this stuff (what do everyday Londoners feel, when they aren't being stabbed?) who is going to riot?

We have had plenty of turbulent times with rioting throughout recent history but things still go on. The miner's strikes, the poll tax riots, most football grounds in the 80's :winks:

The vast majority of people won't see their day to day affairs impacted on other than prices of things. Money is the one area people will feel it. Staffing in certain areas is another but it's a big world out there and we have been bringing medical staff from non EU countries for long before the EU existed in it's current guise. But if you think removing something like FOM is going to impact on the highly paid then it's naïve, it's the plebs who get affected, not important people like doctors who can work anywhere on planet earth as they are important to all societies. Nurses may be a different issue though.

Think about living in a mining town some decades ago. Your prices didn't go up, your job was sucked form under you and the bailiffs at the door. That was substantial.

The issues with social care and benefits are also substantial. They easily dwarf prices but obviously the economy is linked to this too and a decline in the economy is felt everywhere so is not a welcome addition.

Why would you stock up on water? It comes out of a tap. It drops from the sky free of charge.

Apocalyptic scenarios in the media are no better than the Daily Mail scaremongering health stories.

Perhaps your parents have lived through times like this and know it's BS as they got through all that without the enormous supply chains of the modern world?

Getting therapy is the most reasonable thing to do.

Fishmanpa
10-03-19, 17:41
Well, the economy is expected to collapse because of governmental shortsightedness; the EU wants to restrict our freedom of expression; division on all sides is likely to cause rioting... I could go on! I mean, I could end up in the middle of a riot tomorrow!

This is just a continuation and variation on a theme from your other thread. Hope you find a way out of your rabbit hole.

Positive thoughts

ankietyjoe
10-03-19, 18:18

So basically nothing has effected you directly. You're simply worrying about things that 'might' happen?

Every decade there is a new seed of imminent doom being reported by the media. This decade is no different, and the things you are worrying about are virtually the same as people were worrying about 30 years ago (nuclear war, I remember it well).

Stop reading, go out, look at some trees, don't touch your phone, take in some fresh air. You are creating problems in your mind that aren't real.

KK77
10-03-19, 20:35

You have been catastrophising about various "nightmare" scenarios since you joined NMP, Frank. To date none has come to pass.

This, to me, is no different than a HA sufferer's long list of illnesses (they never had). The remedy and solution to this is always the same: treat the underlying anxiety, not the symptoms and focus of the anxiety.

You need to make start and be resolute in overcoming all this, Frank, because it's obviously making your life a misery.

FrankT
10-03-19, 21:20
Yeah, too right it is! I'm going to try psychoanalytic therapy, I want to do something that'll help me in the long-term. I'll travel as far as Birmingham if I have to! Remind me to ring up Healthy Minds tomorrow, see if they offer anything.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-19, 02:55
If they are IAPT then forms of therapy offered are limited.

Dynamic Interpersonal Therapy (DIT) is based on psychoanalytical therapy but is stripped down to the same timescale and it's for not depression, not anxiety.

You can cross borders of IAPT's for treatment if it means accessing services you need, the NHS Charter was updated a couple of years ago to allow this to bring parity with physical conditions (not that any of us probably knew that was the case for those either? :shrug:) but you can't select the type of treatment which remains in the hands of the assessor.

FrankT
11-03-19, 12:15
So I should consult a GP for advice, yes?

KK77
11-03-19, 12:44
So I should consult a GP for advice, yes?

That would be a good place to start. You might have quite a wait for the type of therapy you want though. Would you consider meds in the meantime? You could ask for low dose pregabalin or propranolol if you don't want SSRI antidepressants.

FrankT
11-03-19, 16:03
I am on meds. I've been on Sertraline for years.

MyNameIsTerry
11-03-19, 16:17
Yes, it's always worth getting your GP's opinion and advice on which way to go.

There are other forms of CBT as well such as ACT which might be more appropriate.

KK77
11-03-19, 19:01
I am on meds. I've been on Sertraline for years.
Then it would make sense to increase dose or switch to something else, as it's clearly not helping if you feel so miserable and anxious :lac:

FrankT
11-03-19, 23:15
But I think I'm on the maximum dosage already.

Fishmanpa
11-03-19, 23:44
My daughter was on Zoloft for a few years and it crapped out on her. It took a few tries but she's finally on meds that are helping now. Between that and therapy she's doing well. It's apparent you're suffering. Definitely speak with your doctor.

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
12-03-19, 04:39
What dose are you ok? Has it been working for you since you've been on it? And did anything in your life cause more stress and that's when you found it helped you less?

FrankT
12-03-19, 23:29
I'm not sure, but it might be 150mg. But the thing is... I can't remember it helping me much recently - but I don't dare go off the pill in case my symptoms worsen.

MyNameIsTerry
13-03-19, 04:58
You can go up to 200mg.

You aren't sure how much you take daily?

FrankT
13-03-19, 08:58
Not entirely, but 150mg sounds about right. I'll let you know for sure.

Phill2
14-03-19, 05:20
Move down here to Oz
We have a different Prime Minister every week so no one knows where they are.

hoppipolla
14-03-19, 05:49
I really don't think it's that bad - at least not in terms of the economy and job opportunities and things like that.

I have major issues with British society but it's really more down to things like the lack of community, lack of compassion for others, cultural focuses, etc. Financially I think the country is OK.

FrankT
14-03-19, 18:19
Unfortunately I don't.

FrankT
29-03-19, 15:23
Has our government ever been this dysfunctional? I'm expecting general anarchy when it collapses as early as tomorrow.

BlueIris
29-03-19, 15:25
I think you're probably underestimating the apathy of the population a little.

FrankT
29-03-19, 15:39
Probably.

MyNameIsTerry
29-03-19, 16:04
Must be a London thing, everywhere else people will be working, shopping, drinking and enjoying the nice weather. The Major years were dodgy. They are a pretty useless bunch on both sides at the moment but remember they are one chamber of transient elected officials and the rest is ran by the much larger civil service, regulatory bodies, etc.

FrankT
29-03-19, 17:45
Okay, now it's taking over my mind. What if we get someone really evil as the next PM? What if there's a fascist coup? What do we do??

KK77
29-03-19, 18:03
You mean BoJo as PM? :wacko:

Your anxiety and panic are running amok! Take a deep breath and slow down. Don't believe everything you think, Frank.

FrankT
29-03-19, 18:29
I'm trying not to, but it seems more and more likely the more I try.

Pea Tear Griffin
29-03-19, 18:43
Hopefully we get a General Election soon :)

FrankT
29-03-19, 20:03
So that's it then, is it? All hail the Supreme Dictator of Britain!

MyNameIsTerry
30-03-19, 03:10
You mean BoJo as PM? :wacko:Your anxiety and panic are running amok! Take a deep breath and slow down. Don't believe everything you think, Frank.Yes, and everything you read by the media either.Detach yourself from the news for a bit. This isn't the 1930's, we have more access to fact check & debunk these days. Think this way, do our politicians look remotely capable enough to engineer something as big as a coup? :winks:

Midnight-mouse
30-03-19, 08:14
Think this way, do our politicians look remotely capable enough to engineer something as big as a coup? :winks:

I usually stay well out of subjects of a political nature but frankly I’m surprised daily that they manage to organise themselves out of bed let alone a coup :winks:

So that's it then, is it? All hail the Supreme Dictator of Britain!

Frank the way you seem to be thinking is very similar to the way I remember people acting while in secondary school. I want to be clear that I’m not calling it childish just that the people I’m referring to had never been through conflicts or had issues arise in their lives before and therefore blew it way out of proportion in their minds because they had no experience to tell them that it will be okay.

Now as much as the state of our government astounds me at times, there is absolutely no point in getting this wound up about things that are one,completely out of our control at present and two, aren’t happening (like there are no riots etc) In fact nothing has yet changed in our day to day lives other than being made more aware of what’s happening, or more to the point not happening in commons.

I’m not old enough to have first hand been through any large changes in this country but I know from our history that it’s happened, and more than once too. We’re still here living for the most part good lives even with the hardships that have been faced in the past. And it will likely happen again during our lifetimes. There is simply no good reasons to let your mind run away with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FrankT
30-03-19, 11:11
No riots, huh? I knew they were all talk!

KK77
30-03-19, 13:35
No riots, huh? I knew they were all talk!

Did you? Then why all the stress and worry?

FrankT
30-03-19, 15:54
Because I didn't know for sure.

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-19, 02:36
What was influencing you into believing it a possibility?

FrankT
31-03-19, 15:34
Well, with the Copyright Directive being passed, they'd have to start soon, wouldn't they?

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-19, 02:09
If that was a response to my question I'm not sure what you mean? Are you implying some right wing coup because of activities like that? Lets bare in Mind the EU is very pro business, it's the reason it was set up, so they are going to lok towards protecting the big corps they have their lunches with. That doesn't make it right wing.

FrankT
03-04-19, 19:54
No, that's true.

FrankT
05-06-19, 23:27
Now we have no PM! It looks like "BoJo" is next in line. Given other people's reactions, I think I should be worried, but I don't know why... all I know is I'm overthinking it and that worries me.

ankietyjoe
05-06-19, 23:33
Now we have no PM! It looks like "BoJo" is next in line. Given other people's reactions, I think I should be worried, but I don't know why... all I know is I'm overthinking it and that worries me.

Well....yeah. The perfect isolated example that the problem is you, not all the shit that's going on. Because that's always gone on, and always will.

Go for a walk in the forest get some perspective :)

MyNameIsTerry
06-06-19, 01:50
^ As Joe says. When we say this it can sound complacent but BoJo is hardly Mrs Thatcher and we got through those years.

Some things will have to give in UK politics over the next year or two with both main parties stuck in a cycle of crapiness. It may be for the better as two party systems just afford complacency in our MP's. Until recently I've always lived in a Labour heartland where, as the saying goes, you could put a red rosette on a donkey and it would win.

There has to be perspective. The media live on overhyping everything as it sells and they are various levels of ruthlessness.

jray23
06-06-19, 07:29
Now we have no PM! It looks like "BoJo" is next in line. Given other people's reactions, I think I should be worried, but I don't know why... all I know is I'm overthinking it and that worries me.So take a break. Turn off the news. Its importance to anyone's daily life is massively overrated, and all it does is inflame emotions - in your case, worry/fear.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

FrankT
06-06-19, 09:16
You're correct, of course. I only found this out because I work at the library in a voluntary capacity and they have newspapers on tables. I'll work to reduce my exposure to them.

FrankT
10-06-19, 21:23
I was just watching an E3 conference just now...I think Watch Dogs: Legion will become a reality. :emot-fail:

FrankT
11-06-19, 16:55
In fact, I am convinced of it! The City of London is already an Orwellian nightmare!

KK77
11-06-19, 17:31
In fact, I am convinced of it! The City of London is already an Orwellian nightmare!

It's been thus since the IRA "bomb attacks" in the 90s :lac:

FrankT
11-06-19, 17:47
Yeah, but it won't be long before we start deporting non-Europeans! Something like Albion will come to power and impose their will upon the country!

FrankT
12-06-19, 08:52
I take it by your lack of response that you agree... :scared15:

Scass
12-06-19, 09:14
No, I don’t. But I don’t think that will help you. Have you ever considered not reading/watching the news?

FrankT
12-06-19, 14:05
Of course! I don't even do so regularly! It's just I got this idea from a video game they announced at E3! Or how about this one:

http://www.nottonightgame.com/

I'm telling you, that's not just a game, it's a warning.

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-19, 15:58
Well, there are plenty of theories about the future introduced through literature, gaming, film & TV, etc. My money is zombies! http://yoursmiles.org/hsmile/mystic/h0505.gif (http://yoursmiles.org/h-mystic.php)

Scass
12-06-19, 16:09
What about a giant pac man? Eek!

MyNameIsTerry
12-06-19, 16:38
What about a giant pac man? Eek!

That bugger is always hungry, he would decimate planet earth in days! :scared15: But like in films where they grab a hand grenade and shout "come and get me" I will have my revenge, but I'm replacing the hand grenade with me drinking a whole bottle of syrup of figs before he gobbles me up. He will regret eating me! :yesyes:

Scass
12-06-19, 17:35
Haha!! Glad you’ve got a plan Terry [emoji38]

FrankT
13-06-19, 13:03
Why... a no-deal scenario will surely lead to a totalitarian Britain!

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-19, 13:07
Why... a no-deal scenario will surely lead to a totalitarian Britain!

Armageddon Britain. Media scaremongering, Frank.

FrankT
13-06-19, 14:21
Scaremongering or not, we should not resort to diplomacy that could lead down that path. And I know this, because I signed a petition against it!

http://www.no2nodeal.uk/

KK77
13-06-19, 15:18
It can take generations for such extreme changes to materialise, Frank. That's why we have phrases like the totalitarian tiptoe. I'm not saying changes do not occur but not at the rapid pace and alarming level you fear.

As a society, people fear extreme/drastic change, just like yourself, and will therefore resist and fight it.

FrankT
13-06-19, 16:19
Generations? It took only ten years for the Nazis to come to power after the Great Depression! Maybe less!

KK77
13-06-19, 16:56
Generations? It took only ten years for the Nazis to come to power after the Great Depression! Maybe less!

You are using wrong comparisons. Pre-Nazi Germany was in chaos with a power vacuum. Change would of course happen much faster. Ditto in other parts of the world with unstable governments and/or war.

We live in stable times, in a stable society. Therefore, unless you devastate the country first, change will occur far more gradually.

FrankT
13-06-19, 19:47
I would think that a no-deal would devastate the country.

MyNameIsTerry
13-06-19, 22:45
It may shrink GDP which will impact on living standards. We won't be living in whattle & daub huts. Perhaps a few people might have to stick to their latest iphone rather than get to queue up at the latest release. Perhaps a brand new BMW will not be on the cards for some in that first year.

See what I'm getting at? This is far & away different to not having enough food or clothing. Our own grandparents can remember post WWII times where they have nothing. You worked to eat and cloth your family. Holidays were going to the seaside with your family and wider groups.

The Great Depression was people struggling to feed themselves. They had nothing. Logistics are totally different these days.

You believe we will end up with everyone voting to put a dictator in? We can't get any votes passed and the country is 50/50 split. Regardless of the false equivalences drawn by a certain leaning of the media that's a bit different to pre WWII Germany.

Even in times of poverty it doesn't mean we turn into a feral rabble.

P.S. you won't need to worry about Leadsom on that petition, she couldn't even get 17 votes and got booted out of the race today.

FrankT
14-06-19, 09:59
Well yes, but there's still the others.

MyNameIsTerry
14-06-19, 14:14
Oh! I was looking forward to that - it was going to be a leap of upward 'social mobility' from my damp cave...
[/LEFT]

I was planning on a self build of my own spit and poo.

MyNameIsTerry
14-06-19, 16:52
These days I could only produce enough of these building materials to throw together a small dog kennel:ohmy:If it works I've already got a business plan to expand it so you can still benefit. I've got a horse & cart (got to keep in line with the expected poverty narrative :winks:) which will be doing daily pickups round the back of the Palace of Westminster. I expect easily enough raw product in the first month to solve the housing crisis. Might as well get some use out of them :yesyes:

FrankT
14-06-19, 20:00
Mother agrees with me. She knows Boris will be the end for us!

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/05/repellent-chaotic-and-serial-liar-boris-johnson-would-be-catastrophic-prime?fbclid=IwAR2GzIpfExPjsQo3W2jXse4JF5TkJWU2VwU CU8Maj-3kHWkLFPHSFJsnCY8

I've feared something like this all along, and now it has begun to happen.

Fishmanpa
14-06-19, 21:57
Well you don't want to immigrate to the US, that's for sure! You could always talk to the "Prince of Whales" ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
14-06-19, 22:51
Mother agrees with me. She knows Boris will be the end for us!https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2019/05/repellent-chaotic-and-serial-liar-boris-johnson-would-be-catastrophic-prime?fbclid=IwAR2GzIpfExPjsQo3W2jXse4JF5TkJWU2VwU CU8Maj-3kHWkLFPHSFJsnCY8I've feared something like this all along, and now it has begun to happen.What is it that you fear about this?

FrankT
15-06-19, 11:25
Dystopia, as I previously described, and potentially persecution. Even if I am a white British person, I have a disability! They're not going to let THAT slide!

FrankT
15-06-19, 13:45
I... I don't know how.

Fishmanpa
15-06-19, 13:51
I... I don't know how.

Real life professional help.

Positive thoughts

FrankT
15-06-19, 18:46
I do get the sense that I'm being - how you say? - misled? There have been times when I've taken opinion for fact, and I often have trouble differentiating between the two.

KK77
16-06-19, 12:35
Frank… then from what you say, there’s hope for you yet. You already sense something’s not right when you feel you’re being “misled”.

Perhaps a different way of appraising the ‘news’ is to treat it all as untrue until proven otherwise. This is my own ‘cynical’ approach – it’s all a heap of tosh, no matter what its source, until it can be verified as otherwise (and just because the same story or ‘facts’ appear in various places and guises, this should not be taken as implying veracity).

‘News’ is business. It is traded and used/abused just like other commodities. Do you believe advertising, when some company is trying to make you buy their product? You might – lots of folks do – because advertising is the art of persuasion. Modern ‘newscasting’ has close links with advertising and, in fact, uses many of the same persuasive techniques to ‘sell’ the ‘news’ to us. But like that ‘whiter-than-white’ washing powder or ‘faster-than-fast’ car or ‘bigger-than-big’ beefburger, we don’t have to ‘buy’ any of this exaggerated, sensationalised nonsense!

Excellent (but sadly true) comparison of news to advertising and to take all info as being unproven until verified by multiple other sources. However, there is of course no guarantee that "other" sources differ in their veracity/authenticity, and here, one has to apply logic, common sense and the trusted question of 'Who benefits?' in you believing or accepting an ostensible "truth".

MyNameIsTerry
16-06-19, 13:36
Dystopia, as I previously described, and potentially persecution. Even if I am a white British person, I have a disability! They're not going to let THAT slide!

Possibly one of the things you need to work on, as Pain is saying, is your understanding of the media. If you know who leans which way or to what cause you can be more critical of them when they are wringing your hands. For instance, you quoted The New Stateman, a publication than spends it's time peddling catastrophies abour Brexit because of it's leanings.

Taking them at face value leaves you open to their bias. Like Pain says they are selling something, typically their careers and leanings. That comes first for many before any genuine need to get the truth out there or change society. There are tools you can use to evaluate you thoughts and the same can be said for the thoughts of others.

I also think your reaction is key here, as it is in all with anxiety, because you see the story and panic. Yours threads have shown this.

FrankT
17-06-19, 09:43
And I can't stop myself, is that it?

MyNameIsTerry
18-06-19, 03:08
Frank… I see you're picking up on the gist of what the helpful folks here on NMP have been trying to tell you all along – that you must take action to help yourself. No one else can stop you from panicking, but they can suggest ways and means which might benefit you personally (all we panickers have, collectively, shed loads of painful experience in this department and we’re all still learning!). You have to tackle it from within yourself.

So, yes, you’ve got to stop yourself from continually re-entering the destructive, meaningless cycle of looking for all those things you know are going to worry the hell out of you and take a more critical, detached view of those that you do come across.

For a bit of lighthearted relief which sort of illustrates how folks here on NMP might see your problems of applying what we’ve been telling you, watch the bit from episode one of Red Dwarf series four where Lister is trying to teach Kryten how to lie etcetera: https://youtu.be/oB-NnVpvQ78 :D

I don't even need to watch it to know how this one goes...

Lister: Now what is this?
Kryten: It's Article 50.
Lister: No, now remember what we discussed about how to lie. So, what is it?
Kryten: It's a...it's a...it's a...small off duty traffic warden!

:yesyes::roflmao:

MyNameIsTerry
18-06-19, 03:11
And I can't stop myself, is that it?

In what way? Do you mean you are drawn towards reading things that will trigger you? Or how you react to triggers? Or both?

FrankT
21-06-19, 21:57
How I react to triggers, mainly.

MyNameIsTerry
22-06-19, 14:06
How I react to triggers, mainly.

Then you can put in place strategies for this. You could use the assessment tools such as CBT uses to determine how rational thoughts/situations are. You could apply waiting periods e.g. see if the media forgets about this "most important event" within days and are wibbling on about something else. You could have an anti Googling strategy to keep you away from the loonier end of the media and blogs out there.

FrankT
22-06-19, 18:55
And what about when the thought continues to bother me?

Midnight-mouse
23-06-19, 19:35
And what about when the thought continues to bother me?

As terry said, that’s when you use the strategies that we learn and put in place to help us through these issues. Over time the thoughts become less powerful because we give them far less power over us.

Positive vibes,

Mouse

FrankT
04-07-19, 15:32
Cameron was right - we are going to start World War III, aren't we? We're turning into another Nazi Germany. The events correlate!

MyNameIsTerry
04-07-19, 16:35
Cameron was right - we are going to start World War III, aren't we? We're turning into another Nazi Germany. The events correlate!What? We are going to destroy ourselves and all those rich people will have nothing? Sound plausible? I bet more people will be concerned about what shorts to wear today over politics.

FrankT
05-07-19, 09:19
Give it time; you'll see what I mean.

ankietyjoe
05-07-19, 09:32

Your problem is that you simply don't understand that nature of media, fearmongering and business.

Your life is passing you by whilst you worry about things that might happen. It's absurd.

Go out into the woods and listen to the birds. If the bomb drops, quickly message us here about how smug you feel about being right.

MyNameIsTerry
05-07-19, 14:29

If we look around ourselves, rather than rely on the media presenting their view, what do we see?

No one benefits from wars on that scale. The big players nudge others for a reason but are happen to invade smaller nations they know won't cause them many casualties.

Why would pulling out of the EU causes wars? Are you saying we Brits are the reason wars don't happen and all our European partners don't count? Or do you believe we will descend into starting wars because we are leaving the EU? And what about NATO?

FrankT
10-07-19, 11:57
If we look around ourselves, rather than rely on the media presenting their view, what do we see?

No one benefits from wars on that scale. The big players nudge others for a reason but are happen to invade smaller nations they know won't cause them many casualties.

Why would pulling out of the EU causes wars? Are you saying we Brits are the reason wars don't happen and all our European partners don't count? Or do you believe we will descend into starting wars because we are leaving the EU? And what about NATO?

I see it like this: PM Johnson insults the European peoples to the point where they declare war. This outrageous behaviour provokes Scotland and Northern Ireland into seceding and invading the North of England. The US reaches out to help England, with Canada supporting Scotland. Also supporting England is Australia, Japan and Korea, with Argentina, Sweden, Iceland and Denmark supporting Scotland. Argentina invades the Falkland Islands again, and from there, God knows...

...now I think about it, that does seem kind of far-fetched. Except for the first part.

MyNameIsTerry
10-07-19, 14:13
I see it like this: PM Johnson insults the European peoples to the point where they declare war. This outrageous behaviour provokes Scotland and Northern Ireland into seceding and invading the North of England. The US reaches out to help England, with Canada supporting Scotland. Also supporting England is Australia, Japan and Korea, with Argentina, Sweden, Iceland and Denmark supporting Scotland. Argentina invades the Falkland Islands again, and from there, God knows...

...now I think about it, that does seem kind of far-fetched. Except for the first part.

Very far fetched.

I think they are bit more thick skinned than taking their people to war, potentially risking millions of lives, over a few snubs. Maybe in the days of feudal kings but not in these days where politicians are being called all the names under the sun by their own people.

You've missed a situation anyway...al that oil in Scotland would mean the US would zoom in straight away and take the place over :winks:

FrankT
11-07-19, 21:59
There's oil in Scotland?!

ankietyjoe
12-07-19, 08:34

You're quite selective about the information you absorb and worry about, aren't you?

FrankT
12-07-19, 09:33
..Yes, you could say that. You could very well say that.

MyNameIsTerry
12-07-19, 14:07

The North Sea. Take it away and Aberdeen goes bust.

They have found more reserves there recently.

It's all an important part of how Scotland could cope outside the UK.

FrankT
15-07-19, 10:27
More reserves? Good grief, we can't have more drilling there, we're being boiled alive as is!

FrankT
23-07-19, 16:02
Well... it's happened, as expected. When I heard about it I knew we had, strictly because of the failings of the present government, a PM who is both a liar and certifiable. For all my fears that Trump would drag us back to the nineteenth century, I had missed the genuine threat all along.

MyNameIsTerry
23-07-19, 16:40
It's not like there was much of a choice...even if you include the whole party. Similar on the opposition benches. Attempts at no confidence and pushes for GE's here we come...

FrankT
23-07-19, 20:06
Yeah, but the fact that he has the support of an outright fascist is telling. Not to mention the fact that we attacked Iran for no reason... he's going to start a war, I know it...

Fishmanpa
23-07-19, 22:36
Yeah, but the fact that he has the support of an outright fascist is telling. Not to mention the fact that we attacked Iran for no reason... he's going to start a war, I know it...

Now you know how many in the US feel. Its like you got the UK version of Trump ~lol~ And they get along famously ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
24-07-19, 05:17
Yeah, but the fact that he has the support of an outright fascist is telling. Not to mention the fact that we attacked Iran for no reason... he's going to start a war, I know it...We attacked Iran? Do you mean the marines in Gibraltar? If so, that was us enforcing EU sanctions in place on Iran. It may get seen as doing Trump's bidding because he is all over Iran at the moment but it's really not the case as we were fulfilling our role in the EU. He's further right like many a Tory so will get more support from that end just as those on the extreme left would if they had a PM in place but that doesn't mean everyone is and that we are now a far right country.

FrankT
25-07-19, 22:11
We may as well be.

MyNameIsTerry
26-07-19, 02:27
So, we are all fascists now then? So, all the daily freedoms you enjoy, and will continue too, all the rights you have...so fascism can't be that bad afterall.

Remember Parliament is stuck, it's going to be hung Parliaments now. How is that confirmation we are under the jackboot? And how does modern Britain compare to other nations? Some of these even have far right governments but the people seem to be getting on with daily life which makes you wonder at the comparisons to previous fascism (not that it's a good thing these countries have lurched, it's a bad thing obviously but it still seems some way away from the far right states of the past).

FrankT
26-07-19, 11:51
I don't think I ever stopped to think about it that way... Please, give me time while I think it over very carefully.

FrankT
31-07-19, 23:28
I hate to admit this but you may be right. What I've been thinking all along just isn't right. I was so blinded by the prospect of societal collapse that I didn't think about the morality of my thoughts.