PDA

View Full Version : Weekend hell

Mel
17-01-05, 12:58
Why do my panic attacks seem to get worse over the weekend, just when I want (and need) to relax I can't. I just had one of my worst weekends in ages. My heart was pounding the whole time, I felt so dizzy and lightheaded. I tried all the techniques I know like breathing and listening to relaxation tapes, thinking positive and not fighting the attacks, but the whole time was HELL. I last slept properly on Thursday night and eventually I resorted to taking a Diazepam last night because I couldn't put up with it anymore.:(

irina.popescu
17-01-05, 13:47
Panic is most likely to ocur during weekends, when you are not focused on a certain activity, for instance; only the fact that you are struggling to improve the situation by different techniques may cause a panic attack. Just think "what would be the worst of it?" and you will see that you will not be able to go frightened more than a specific point. Just try to cope with it, try to live with the fact that fear is a normal reaction which has spreaded too much in your case - you shouldn't try to remove it for ever, you should only try to diminish its area.

Irina

meesey
17-01-05, 13:48
Hi Mel, I know what your going through, my worst times are wkds and evenings, although i am doing all that i should , relaxation, not fighting the attacks, even taken up yoga, i am still gettting the panic , fortunately i haven't taken a diazepam for over a week now, although at times i feel like i cant fight it anymore and i just want a break i would like to take one i resist for the time i might need it more.. I have been on Cipralex just over 2 weeks now 10mg, i thought they might have started working a little more effectively.....Paul x

irina.popescu
17-01-05, 13:49
Panic is most likely to ocur during weekends, when you are not focused on a certain activity, for instance; only the fact that you are struggling to improve the situation by different techniques may cause a panic attack. Just think "what would be the worst of it?" and you will see that you will not be able to go frightened more than a specific point. Just try to cope with it, try to live with the fact that fear is a normal reaction which has spreaded too much in your case - you shouldn't try to remove it for ever, you should only try to diminish its area.

Irina

mico
17-01-05, 13:54
Hi Mel

Maybe they come at the weekend because you have nothing to occupy your mind with. Then the thoughts keep building up until they go into overload and start to become what if that, what if this, etc. Sometimes being busy all through the week can act as a shield and guard you against your anxiety. However that isn't always a good thing because it masks your anxiety and once you have nothing to do it shows itself in its entirety.

As for the relaxation, this is something I really believe in. What many people do with this though, is that they only tend to do it when they are overly anxious or in the middle of a panic attack. Most of the time, relaxing in the middle of a panic attack is fighting a losing battle, it's almost impossible to relax under the circumstances. Having said that it can have its merits depending on the situation. I think the important thing with relaxation is to participate in it on a regular basis. Over time, this should help to bring your general levels of anxiety down making the chances of having such a panic less frequent.

Good luck

mico

Ivor screwloose
17-01-05, 14:30
Hi Mel
Even though I am self employed and work from home my anxiety often is at it's worst at the W/E, I think it's probably the presure we put on ourselves to feel that we have to be doing something i.e going out, visting family, whatever no matter how small, even going to the shops may contribute to our anxiety, sometimes even the things I love to do will cause me acute anxiety, all because I have put presure on myself to do it. But also the opposite can be true,because you have nothing to do to distract you, you start to relax and don't actively fight your anxiety as you do during the week, we are quite complex people really and understanding ourselves is often harder than understanding others, if you keep a journal for a while and then look back at it, you may be able to pin point things that trigger your anxiety, but don't be disappointed in yourself for having to take a pill, thats what the're for sometimes I find thats the only thing that works for me, and if it breaks the cycle of thought and enables you to live normally, then that may be the first step to getting better.
take each day as it comes don't think about the W/E.

Keep us posted, kindest wishes
gary.

gary

vernon
17-01-05, 19:26
hi Mel, Mine are always worst at weekends and holidays too. I think deep down its knowing the doctors and places of help are closed and have to wait till monday? TC Vernon

Sarah-Jane
18-01-05, 02:21
i am worse at the weekends too but i think my problem is more phsycological as i had my first panic attack on a saturday night and i think when i have them saturday nights its a recolection of the first time i had one and it scares me and i remembe how the first one felt and how scary it was. So i think its more a fear of the panic attack now although the anxiety is with me always the attacks are (Touch Wood) becoming less and more spaced out over time. I am starting to have the occasional good day but sorry to say bad days are worse but im confident in time the good days will be the norm as time goes on.

Love Sarah-Jane xxxx

mumof4
18-01-05, 16:02
mine dont seem to come at a weekend it seems to be at night i start getting mine. Especally when im trying to relax at night they come.

mumof4
18-01-05, 16:09
mine dont seem to come at a weekend it seems to be at night i start getting mine. Especally when im trying to relax at night they come.

Madwoman
26-01-05, 14:21
Mine also started on a saturday night and the next few (all bad ones )were all on a saturday night but lasted between 2 and 5 days so I was a gibbering wreck, I began to fear saturdays (at 9pm) because at the back of my mind it was going to happen again, I have even cancelled a weekend away because "its was going to happen" and if im up in the mountains in a tent and I have a heart attack(yes I know) then I cant get to the hospital.

I do feel much better just reading the forums on the site and the tips are really helpful.

What has helped me is a change of diet, when I introduced myself to panic forums meg gave me a tip on the GI diet, which seems to have helped and of course I have my rescue remedy with me at all times.

I have never taken diazepam but at times of sever pa's then I wish I had, alcohol helped short term but is no solution and also aggravates pa's long term ( as I have found out)

lainey
26-01-05, 15:35
Hi Mel

My anxiety is always worse at the weekend,i think we have too much time to think and it sends anxiety into overdrive.

Elaine x